Will HOT 10mm Kill a 1911?

I thought I wanted a Ruger 1911 in 10mm, but decided I could live without it after handling a Kimber 1911 in 10mm. I do like 1911s but compared to the simplicity of my Glocks and lower capacity for the 1911 I didn’t feel spending the money on one was justified. I do love my Glock 40 with the Vortex Venom sight on it!

I agree with above posters, keep an eye on wear parts, replace when needed and you should be fine. The guns are designed to shoot “standard loads” for that caliber.
Remington brand ammo is notoriously underpowered, typically loaded to only 40s&w levels, and should not be considered a standard 10mm load.
Ruger 1911s are pretty heavy less the lightweight models, IIRC Rugers are the heaviest 1911s on the market, again less the lightweight models.

Short version: Yes, if all you ever feed it is a steady diet of Double Tap or Underwood 10mm, your 10mm 1911 won't last as long as a .45 ACP version. Keep in mind, we're talking reducing the service life to probably 15-20,000 rounds rather than the 100,000+ some .45 versions are reported lasting. (Realistically, 15-20,000 rounds isn't far from the expected service life of some aluminum-frame pistols and some .40 S&W polymer framed models.)

What you're dealing with isn't so much the extra pressure of the 10mm AUTO versus the .45 ACP, it's the extra slide velocity. A .38 Super Automatic runs at higher pressure than a .45 ACP also, but they don't generate the recoil energy and slide velocity of a 10mm, and aren't noted for breaking things prematurely.

Ruger's 1911s are pretty much built to the standard 1911-pattern, just like everybody else. There isn't any room to beef them up if you want to use the same holsters and parts as everybody else. The one thing I think Ruger does do to benefit the 10mm version, is they use a ramped, heavy-bull barrel. This does help slow down unlocking and slide velocity, which is good in a 10mm.

Originally Posted by DaleA
Also Ruger has a history of beefing up their guns. Are their 1911's sturdier than other manufacturers? Did they beef up their 10mm over their .45 1911?
Ruger can't beef up their 1911s the way they beefed up their single action revolvers. The Blackhawks and the original Vaqueros are physically larger than a Colt 1873 SAA, with (particularly) a bigger, beefier cylinder to handle hotter loads. The chamber of a 1911 is integral with the barrel and the outer dimension can't be enlarged without enlarging the slide, and then all the dimensions of the gun are off.

The 1911 in 10mm is beefed-up in the same way the Bren Ten was beefed-up; originally designed for .45 ACP, reducing internal dimensions to accommodate the smaller OD of the 10mm cartridge results in thicker material in some areas of the barrel and slide.

I'm also interested in the desire for high-volume shooting of full-power 10mm; are you culling herds of dangerous animals, or demolishing a cinderblock house, one block at a time?

I don't think I've ever actually fired an especially "hot" round of ammo through any gun I own, as my need for maximum terminal ballistics is theoretical; everything I've actually ever shot could be penetrated with a stout BB gun.
I probably have 1500 rounds through my Delta, maybe 300 of those being full power, as cardboard can't tell the difference between 1000fps and 1200fps.

I shot my Ruger SR1911 10mm today for the first time. I also shot my SR1911 LW Commander 45 and my SR1911 Officers 45. I shot 10 rounds of Underwood 165 gr 10mm, as well as some Remington 180 gr FMJ 10mm. Needless to say, the Underwood is a BIG step up in power, compared to the Remington 10mm, and the 45 acp ammo.

My question is... will a steady diet of high power 10mm kill a 1911?

Anyone have a high round count 1911 that has digested mostly high power ammo?

No it won't "kill" a 1911. 1911's are very hard to kill btw. As parts get worn you replace them with new parts. They are the original modular handgun.

To run a 1911 to destruction, to "kill" it, means you'd have to ignore the need for routine maintenance and inspection. Will you need to replace parts more often shooting hot 10mm? Yeah.

You can go over to a 10mm website and ask there or one of the 1911 forums.

http://10mm-firearms.com/10mm-semi-auto-handguns/?PHPSESSID=8ae3ba1161055a6aeea43a7f94c34390

tipoc

Last edited:
No it won't "kill" a 1911. 1911's are very hard to kill btw.

I don’t usually argue but I strongly disagree with this. You can kill a 1911 if you crack the frame of the receiver. Which is what kills most 1911s when they are undersprung or oversprung to adjust for hot rounds. This was the primary issue with the early Colt Delta Elites. Withstanding 10mm really isn’t as simple as dropping a heavier mainspring in a 1911. Obviously factory 10mm 1911s probably have a square FPS, heavier mainspring (which = heavier trigger), added slide mass, and other tricks in addition to a slightly heavier recoil spring.

Likely the gun will outlast your wallet and wrists.

If you can afford the ammo to shoot out a 10mm, it is likely you will be able to replace it without too much financial strain.

I don’t usually argue but I strongly disagree with this. You can kill a 1911 if you crack the frame of the receiver. Which is what kills most 1911s when they are undersprung or oversprung to adjust for hot rounds. This was the primary issue with the early Colt Delta Elites. Withstanding 10mm really isn’t as simple as dropping a heavier mainspring in a 1911. Obviously factory 10mm 1911s probably have a square FPS, heavier mainspring (which = heavier trigger), added slide mass, and other tricks in addition to a slightly heavier recoil spring.
(emphasis mine).

Seems to me that you are saying that it's possible not to "kill" a 1911 if it's set up for the 10mm but that they can be "killed" if they are not. So I'm not sure where we disagree about that.

In general it's hard to run 1911's to destruction unless you ignore maintenance and the guns are not set up for the round they are shooting. This happens to any gun though and not simply the 1911s. The 1911 platform was the first successful home of the 10mm (D&D did not last as a company so we have no track record of that.). The 1911 continues to be a reliable home for it most makers offer guns in 10mm and they sell.

tipoc

Ultimately any ammo will wear out any gun if you have the money and time to shoot enough of it through the gun.

Yes, hotter ammo typically puts more wear on components and speeds the process. But most people don't put a constant diet of really hot ammo through handguns for a variety of reasons. If a person feels that it's important to shoot a lot of hot ammo through a handgun, then they're going to pay more for ammo, they will replace parts more often, and they will ultimately wear the gun out faster.

That said, people who have the time and money to wear out a good quality gun by shooting it are to be envied, not pitied.

10mm

DW 10mm Razorback, Shoot nothing but Double Tap ammo, 135, 165. Changed spring to 22 pound. Never had a problem.

Back