Will CZ make a 10mm based on the 75/97 in 2020

Frankly, I doubt it.

As I covered in another thread before it got derailed into a caliber debate and was subsequently closed, the supposed resurgence of the 10mm Auto cartridge as well as assertions of it becoming a mainstream self-defense cartridge as touted by various writers appears to have been nothing but hype or wishful thinking.

The 10mm Auto cartridge appears no more popular now than it ever was, and the fact that more manufactures have chosen to release their own take on the Colt Delta Elite 1911 only indicates that they were willing to take the nonexistent risk/financial investment of rechambering their existing series of 1911s in 10mm doesn't indicate that they will be designing all new pistols specifically for the cartridge. Heck, most of them don't even seem interested in doing the relatively simple task of rechambering existing .45 ACP firearms in 10mm.

Sadly, 10mm is unlikely to make any significant comeback, particularly because the vast majority of factory loaded 10mm ammo is loaded to more or less equal specs compared to .40 S&W, (which many assert offers no tangible benefit over 9mm) and boutique ammo which is actually loaded to full-power specs are generally overpowered for self-defense against two-legged threats. So it will most likely remain a niche cartridge, used primarily by enthusiasts for recreational/sporting purposes or for self-defense against wild predatory animals.

That being said, I would love to be wrong.

Forte S+W for the win! Sadly...

That one-of 10mm CZ 97 is, I think, still in the KC facility.
I sincerely doubt the factory in the Czech Republic will ever take on a 10mm project with all the other projects they have going and military/police contracts to fill world wide, plus the demand is pretty much only US based, I think.
However, the new US factory should be open sometime early next year, and all bets are off for what might come out of there. If they built a Scorpion in 10mm I'd take out a loan to buy one. How much are they paying for blood plasma nowadays?

I sincerely doubt the factory in the Czech Republic will ever take on a 10mm project with all the other projects they have going and military/police contracts to fill world wide, plus the demand is pretty much only US based,
Wasn't the 97 designed and built for the American market?

Forte S+W for the win! Sadly...

Uhhhh, ok...

10mm is more popular now than it ever has been. Just because CZ doesn’t make a pistol chambered for it doesn’t mean anything other than A. They don’t have a design currently that can handle full power 10mm and would have to start with a brand new design, or B. They simply don’t want to.

You can’t just take a .45 and throw in a 10mm barrel and call it good. 10mm is way more potent, both to the gun and the recipient, than .45acp.

As someone else said, you’d have to start with 10mm design, then adapt to lesser cartridges. My thinking is the R&D cost/time isn’t worth it to CZ at this time. Who knows if it ever will be.

My Glock 20, and 40 fill my 10mm need.

Heck even the old Smith and Wesson 10xx pistols couldn’t handle a steady diet of full power 10mm.

I sincerely doubt the factory in the Czech Republic will ever take on a 10mm project with all the other projects they have going and military/police contracts to fill world wide, plus the demand is pretty much only US based, I think.
I'd have to agree with you on this. Outside of N. America and Scandnavia, there is no interest in 10mm. Gun ownership is much more tightly regulated in other countries, some outright ban handguns. Those where handguns are legal may be one of the several countries that forbid the ownership of arms that use "military ammunition" like 9mm, so people are more likely going to go for something like .32 or .380 due to the smaller size of the guns.

There's also no LEO or military interest in other handgun calibers beyond 9mm unless it's something that can defeat body armor. That generally means bottleneck .22 caliber stuff like .22 TCM and 5.7.

There is some potential with 10mm against soft lvl II armor, but there are other, smaller pistols with less recoil that can do the same.

Back