Will CZ make a 10mm based on the 75/97 in 2020

R.A.N.G.E.R

Inactive
Hoping that CZ will bring out either an all steel or alloy frame sa/da for 2020.
That’s probably not going to stop me from acquiring a 97 though.
Wish I were more confident in and had the budget for a Stock 2.
When CZ goes down the 10mm path, their product will exceed the Witness.

Anyone care to design one as a mental exercise? What features would you like to see? I’d like to see a CZ 10mm with two interchangeable grip width panels like HK did, in medium and large, along with the typical grip length backstraps (yes, on a metal frame gun.) Straight-ish trigger, with the finger curve fairly low, for leverage. L+R & elevation adjustable Novak style rear sight. This CZ model 100 needs the long sight radius that comes with a 5” barrel, and lengthwise grooves between the sights. I’d like to see a slightly domed slide top, but straight (in profile) slightly angled sides. Wide grooves on the slide, middle / halfway forward from the ejection port, and rear. With the long frame, there’s room for a decent size rail, maybe 2”.

Can anyone else picture it? What do you see?

Hoping that CZ will bring out either an all steel or alloy frame sa/da for 2020. That’s probably not going to stop me from acquiring a 97 though.
Wish I were more confident in and had the budget for a Stock 2.
When CZ goes down the 10mm path, their product will exceed the Witness.

:rolleyes: That's not sayin' much, but we can only hope so.

Anyone care to design one as a mental exercise? What features would you like to see? I’d like to see a CZ 10mm with two interchangeable grip width panels like HK did, in medium and large, along with the typical grip length backstraps (yes, on a metal frame gun.) Straight-ish trigger, with the finger curve fairly low, for leverage. L+R & elevation adjustable Novak style rear sight. This CZ model 100 needs the long sight radius that comes with a 5” barrel, and lengthwise grooves between the sights. I’d like to see a slightly domed slide top, but straight (in profile) slightly angled sides. Wide grooves on the slide, middle / halfway forward from the ejection port, and rear. With the long frame, there’s room for a decent size rail, maybe 2”.

Can anyone else picture it? What do you see?

Soooo ... you're struggling to envision something like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iIK6cFPevmE

You can thank me when it's released, if ever. :cool:

FWIW, my two Witnesses (Limited Pro and a Hunter, both 10mm) had equal build quality to my CZs and better triggers out of the box. I would have kept them both if I stayed in the 10mm game.

You have zero reason to be concerned about the Stock 2.

My 97 in 45acp is one of my most accurate pistols. God that would be another tempting buy if it actually happened.

Yeah. A correction on Tanfoglio vs CZ.

Tanfoglio had the Elite and Stock series long before CZ had the Shadow series. The Tanfoglio Limited series also predates the CZ Tactical Sport.

Henning work on Tanfoglios predates Cajun Works for customization.

Both Tanfoglio and CZ are small in the US. Just because Tanfoglio is smaller than CZ in popularity here, don't assume it's the lesser choice.

Frankly, I doubt it.

As I covered in another thread before it got derailed into a caliber debate and was subsequently closed, the supposed resurgence of the 10mm Auto cartridge as well as assertions of it becoming a mainstream self-defense cartridge as touted by various writers appears to have been nothing but hype or wishful thinking.

The 10mm Auto cartridge appears no more popular now than it ever was, and the fact that more manufactures have chosen to release their own take on the Colt Delta Elite 1911 only indicates that they were willing to take the nonexistent risk/financial investment of rechambering their existing series of 1911s in 10mm doesn't indicate that they will be designing all new pistols specifically for the cartridge. Heck, most of them don't even seem interested in doing the relatively simple task of rechambering existing .45 ACP firearms in 10mm.

Sadly, 10mm is unlikely to make any significant comeback, particularly because the vast majority of factory loaded 10mm ammo is loaded to more or less equal specs compared to .40 S&W, (which many assert offers no tangible benefit over 9mm) and boutique ammo which is actually loaded to full-power specs are generally overpowered for self-defense against two-legged threats. So it will most likely remain a niche cartridge, used primarily by enthusiasts for recreational/sporting purposes or for self-defense against wild predatory animals.

That being said, I would love to be wrong.

I doubt CZ will, but I do think more companies will be revealing 10mm's at SHOT next year. It's the hot new caliber people want, but they want it in a polymer gun for the reduced cost and lighter weight.

Springfield bringing their 10mm to market is just the beginning. Eventually Ruger, Taurus, S&W, and others will follow.

One factor I have never felt I fully grasped is the true extent of the love of the best millimeter. It has a very vocal fanbase, and that's fine. My question is how many purchases actually happen? Right now the market is in a slump and both firearms and ammunition are at prices that some years ago would have seemed impossible. And yet despite that retailers and distributors seem loaded with stock. Given that I think it's safe to say 10mm is a minority compared to the major calibers I'm left wondering if the same flat demand is also affecting an already limited market, meaning designing new 10mms would be a foolhardy proposition. Or it might well be that because 10mm is different people are buying it as opposed to the 9mms they might be bored with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The 10mm Auto cartridge appears no more popular now than it ever was, and the fact that more manufactures have chosen to release their own take on the Colt Delta Elite 1911 only indicates that they were willing to take the nonexistent risk/financial investment of rechambering their existing series of 1911s in 10mm doesn't indicate that they will be designing all new pistols specifically for the cartridge.

:rolleyes: Major fail right there to do your 10mm homework.

So Sig's line of five P220 10mms doesn't count?

Nor Glock's longslide G40?

Nor Grand Power's P40 DA/SA pistol?

Nor either of S.A.'s XDM 10mm pistols?

All of which non-1911 designs, by the way.

Ah huh :rolleyes: ... Sounds like the 10mm's a 'dead' round.

Heck, most of them don't even seem interested in doing the relatively simple task of rechambering existing .45 ACP firearms in 10mm.

That's never worked, and actually it's the reverse that's true.

Glock built the 10mm Model 20 first, and once the bugs were worked out, then built the Model 21 in the less energetic 45acp off the same frame, which is the correct and prudent engineering methodology.

I hate to digress from the topic but here's my take, unscientific as it is. I've had my Kimber target 2 for over 10 years. When I bought the gun I had to buy brass(I reload) because I never saw any at any range I went to. This year I've managed to find some several times. Do I think Its getting more popular. Absolutely.

I stand corrected, there are a total of four 10mm pistols which aren't 1911s that I failed to mention, eight if you count all the different SIG P220 models. Thank you, agtman for bringing that to my attention.

Wonderful, hopefully they're selling well and that other companies such as CZ will follow suit, because as previously stated, I hope that I am wrong because I like the 10mm cartridge and would like to see more pistols chambered in it, not to mention ammo manufactures offering full-power loads.

Time will tell, fingers crossed for SHOT Show.

Given that I think it's safe to say 10mm is a minority compared to the major calibers I'm left wondering if the same flat demand is also affecting an already limited market, meaning designing new 10mms would be a foolhardy proposition. Or it might well be that because 10mm is different people are buying it as opposed to the 9mms they might be bored with.
I think that's the case as I don't see what has come out the past 5 years in 9mm (P365 aside) that people have ran out to buy. I'm assuming most who already owned guns had the 9mm's they already wanted, thus making the flashy 10mm more attractive.

What keeps 10mm from really getting more popular is the ammo price, plain and simple. In general, people aren't clamoring to pay almost a buck a round to shoot some whizbang handgun cartridge, no matter what benefits it supposedly has.

I stand corrected, there are a total of four 10mm pistols which aren't 1911s that I failed to mention, eight if you count all the different SIG P220 models. Thank you, agtman for bringing that to my attention.

Wonderful, hopefully they're selling well and that other companies such as CZ will follow suit, because as previously stated, I hope that I am wrong because I like the 10mm cartridge and would like to see more pistols chambered in it, not to mention ammo manufactures offering full-power loads.

Time will tell, fingers crossed for SHOT Show.
You skipped all of the Tanfoglios as well. Which is sorta funny as the Witness line is pretty much the size of a 97 and comes in 10mm, which this thread is about.

You have options: 1911, polymers, striker, DA/SA, short barrel, long barrel and a price range of $500-$1500. And I’ve purposely ignored the revolvers and long gun options. What are you looking that you can’t find?

You skipped all of the Tanfoglios as well. Which is sorta funny as the Witness line is pretty much the size of a 97 and comes in 10mm, which this thread is about.
You have options: 1911, polymers, striker, DA/SA, short barrel, long barrel and a price range of $500-$1500. And I’ve purposely ignored the revolvers and long gun options. What are you looking that you can’t find?

Not only all those, but we haven't even considered the various 10mm PDWs that have been developed.

Noveske has one. Here's another coming out:

https://www.extarusa.com/ep10.htm

Lots more platforms out there in 10mm-Landia than just 1911s.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back