Will be buying, in effect, my first shotgun. Feedback?

OK.

Hello Again, y'all,

I don't know if $4 bucks is worth it for chopping off and transporting the tail of a nutria to the appropriate place. I'll still keep killing these wetlands destroying pests, but don't see myself collecting tails. Maybe that'll change.

Virginian; oh yes! I know a lot about gun laws in La. My gun has a 'permanent' S&W 642 in it. As does my sister's, a gift from her big bro. :D Just about everyone I know, if they're into guns at all, carries one in their car at all times. I keep meaning to get a carry permit, but something always seems to come up. Pretty easy to get one here, just takes a weekend class, some paperwork and less than $200 (which includes the class and fees). Easy peasy. Need to shift myself and get it done.

As for waiting to get a double barrel as my second shotgun, that's just it. I won't be shotgunning enough to really justify two shotguns. I'm all about pistols (revolvers AND semis) and rifles. I'll still give it some though, though. I know that once you buy a gun it depreciates enormously - fired or not. Would hate to get a gun that didn't 'fit' with me and be stuck with it. Thing is, CZ... just can't imagine not loving one. But it's possible it will feel all wrong at my shoulder.

Still would love to hear y'all's opinion regarding barrel length. Yes, Stoeger is OUT. I searched threads here and have concluded they may very well be crap. So bye bye Stoeger. I like the CZ Bobwhite, but one guy has told me a 26" barrel is just a bad idea. That leaves me with either the Mallard or the Redhead Premier. Why not the Canvasback? I simply won't buy a gun that has golden ducks on it. Silly, maybe, but that's how it is. The Mallard is certainly by far the more affordable - cheaper than a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 while still being a double barrel. I need feedback, y'all, on barrel length!!! That and now CZ's Mallard and Redhead Premier. I may need to start a new thread on CZ's shotguns in double barrel. I'll see what turns up here first, though.

Thanks again!

You can get a Virginia Non-resident concealed carry permit, and it is recognized by Louisiana, for a $20 online class and a $100 application fee. Easier than taking a class in Louisiana. That's what I did. A lot of states recognize other states CCLs now. They say they are getting more applications from Texas than Virginia now that the word is out.

As for waiting to get a double barrel as my second shotgun, that's just it. I won't be shotgunning enough to really justify two shotguns.

If you're not shooting enough to have two than it's almost hard to justify one.

What I mean is I have a nice double side by side field gun that shot 13 pheasants and a quail this year.

I have a Mossberg 500 that I used last year and shot 14 pheasants. If for some reason I had to take a gun into a place that involved unexpected water and other conditions the Mossberg would be coming with me and the double sitting at home warm and dry.

In the long run both guns shoot just as much per year so even if it's not hunting they get used. Along with the other two in the safe.

If you need only one good beauty get the double. If you need a workhorse then get the 500/870. Both will be worth half after being fired/used. I think places like gander mountain only offer 60% of value on trades/buybacks. $1000 gun goes quickly down to $600 in their eyes.

FITASC, wow. Really down on Stoeger.

Absolutely. There is nothing more disheartening than seeing some new kid with one that he just bought and he brings it out to shoot some skeet or 5-stand and it doesn't make it through the first 25.....he can't sell it for what he has in it - even if it gets fixed - and he basically wasted several hundred dollars that he may or may not have had in the first place.
BUT, it's your money, spend it as you see fit.

For non-flying birds (i.e. turkeys), many hunters use a pistol gripped shotgun.

Contrary to what TV sitcoms will tell you, Turkeys (wild ones, anyway) can in fact fly....... I've taken two out of the air.

Folks that buy pistol gripped shotguns to hunt turkeys are victims of successful marketing campaigns to sell them crap they don't need.

If you can't kill a turkey with a general purpose shotgun, putting a goofy pistol grip stock on it ain't gonna solve your issue for ya......

..... people have forgotten that it's the Indian, not the arrow that makes the shot .... but the arrow salesmen have the marketing cranked up to 11 and pretty well drowned out that self evident Truth.

Panoply,
First off, welcome to the firing line.:)

You have a lot going through your mind regarding shotguns. One thing to note is you will never find one that will do everything for you if you simply Like all the different types of shotguns.

Having experience with most of the shotguns you are considering I would recommend one over any other. That would be a Mossberg 500. I personally prefer the 500 over the 590, 590a1 and any of the Remington 870's. That being said, I love all of those shotguns! I just think the 500 is the best all around in every way. I think the controls for the safety and the action lock lever are the best of any design. I think the gun is as, if not more reliable than any other pump shotgun. I think the 500 is actually more user friendly than the 590A1 because it's the exact same design only lighter weight and not over built for "military use" which in the end allows you to do everything the 590A1 can without the extra weight. Any of these pump guns should last a lifetime and then some.

Regarding barrel length, I would go with a 20" with a full length mag tube. That will hold 7+1 in the 500, although the 590A1 will hold an extra shell in the same length barrel for 8+1.

One thing that the 870 has over the Mossberg is that you can ghost load for an extra round. Look up ghost loading online. This can not be done with the Mossbergs

I also like CZ. I've been very interested in buying a coach gun just for fun! I think CZ makes some amazing shotguns!

In the end, you might end up with 3 or more shotguns to fill all your desires. But for a first and best all around, I can't think of anything better than a Mossberg 500 with a full mag tube and 20" barrel.

One last thing... a pistol grip on a shotgun is good for nothing in my opinion. It just adds to the weight and dimensions without providing any real benefits. Unless that's just what someone likes, then go for it.

Last edited:
Personally id be looking at the winchester 1300/120 ranger shotguns before any mossberg products. Very easy to disassemble and clean. Plenty of parts and barrels out there as well. Not to mention the quickness of that action. Also all the barrels for the 1200,1300,120 ranger all interchange with each other. The 1300XTR guns were really nice i have one and love it. Its no wingmaster or 37 featherweight but it works great for my uses. Decisions decisions......

You have a lot going through your mind regarding shotguns. One thing to note is you will never find one that will do everything for you if you simply Like all the different types of shotguns.

The more specialized a tool is, the less usefull it is for the tasks it is not specialized for, generally speaking. If you have the money to buy and time to learn to run all those special tools well, great ......

Having experience with most of the shotguns you are considering I would recommend one over any other. That would be a Mossberg 500. I personally prefer the 500 over the 590, 590a1 and any of the Remington 870's. That being said, I love all of those shotguns! I just think the 500 is the best all around in every way. I think the controls for the safety and the action lock lever are the best of any design. I think the gun is as, if not more reliable than any other pump shotgun. I think the 500 is actually more user friendly than the 590A1 because it's the exact same design only lighter weight and not over built for "military use" which in the end allows you to do everything the 590A1 can without the extra weight. Any of these pump guns should last a lifetime and then some.

I have a 500, and liked it very much ........ when it worked. It gives light strikes- making it a suprise when it goes off. I've had armchair gunsmiths tell me I broke it shooting heavy loads in it, that the safety or hammer spring needs replaced, half a dozen other things, including that I "shot it to death" ..... never bothered to get it fixed ..... got a good deal on a used Winchester 1200 and use that for everything now.

Personally id be looking at the winchester 1300/120 ranger shotguns before any mossberg products. Very easy to disassemble and clean.

The Mossberg 500 is not rocket surgery to take apart and clean ......

Jimbob, I'll agree that you don't need a fancy shaped stock to shoot a turkey. However,when you are stitting down with your back against a tree and your knees up having a pistol gripped stock does tend to make your right wrist rest in a more comfortable position. It also allows your right elbow to remain more comfortably tucked next to your body.

Now, that is not enought to make me want to spend money to actually buy one but it is enough for me to understand why some hunters would want to go that way.

And congratulations on shooting turkeys in the air. Most of the hard-core callers down here would frown on that as "unsporting". You should hear them rant about limb-shooters.

And congratulations on shooting turkeys in the air. Most of the hard-core callers down here would frown on that as "unsporting". You should hear them rant about limb-shooters.

Both were fall season birds ..... and were shot while attempting to push/drive birds to kids on stand...... sometimes it works, and sometimes you are just attempting to herd cats ......

My solution to holding a shotgun up while calling in the spring is to use a pair of shooting stix ...... leaves both hands free to work a slate.....

Last edited:
Take a look at a Winchester SXP if you get a chance. Silky smooth action, sleek and comfortable design, really reasonable price, and you can get a variety of barrel lengths for under $150 each- so you can change between an 18" for home defense and a 26" for birds if you want to without having to get a different gun. Everything above also applies to the SX3- the semi-auto version if you prefer that- it is a dream to shoot. There is nothing I don't love about mine- I prefer it to the $2k+ Benelli I bought because I didn't know any better back in my misguided youth.

Well, sounds like we covered all the bases. Side-by-sides are cool, but the over-and-under has taken over that spot for hunting, here in America at least.

Another vote for a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 in. 12 gauge. Move on from there, if you are so inclined.

Well, sounds like we covered all the bases. Side-by-sides are cool, but the over-and-under has taken over that spot for hunting, here in America at least.

Another vote for a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 in. 12 gauge. Move on from there, if you are so inclined.

Don't tell that to the folks at doublegunshop.com. I'd take a decent SxS over ANY pump, especially a SxS with double triggers.

Back