Will a .30 carbine penetrate commie winter clothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make it worse, I've seen soldiers who couldn't qualify marksman get a pencil whipped qualification to get them off the range. NCOs that wouldn't consider compromising their integrity for a moment to shave three seconds off a soldier's APFT run time don't hesitate to round up a soldier's rifle qual score.

There is a pronounced bias toward physical fitness over job knowledge and weapons qualification. Of course, PT is free.

Swapping Rifles

When I was in Korea I carried a Carbine on occasion, usually a Thompson, always a 1911. Never felt under gunned with any of them.

My father, who was at the Chosin Resevoir, related this story. He arrives in Korea carrying an M-1 Garand, which he thought was too heavy. So, he swaps it with a M-2 Carbine, which he said didn't have enough knock down power. So he swaps out the Carbine for a Thompson SMG, which he soon determined was not accurate enough to suit his taste, so back to the M-1 Garand he goes for the rest of the war. Somewhere in there he also carried the B.A.R. as well.

As for penetrating the clothing, he told me that he encountered Chinese troops wearing tennis shoe like shoes and blanket quilted clothes in the cold Korean winter. He said he didn't know how they survived the cold, but that the Carbine round would definitely penetrate their clothes, even in winter.

A guy in that cotton-quilted winter clothing looks a lot like the Michelin Man. The bullet likely penetrates, but doesn't hit meat or bone--giving the illusion of not penetrating.

I got to ask a work bud about this. I had read Fox Company and I gave the book to bud to pass on to his Dad. Bud was a Company Commander in Vietnam, a hero in my opinion, and his Dad, a WW2 Vet and Korea War Vet, is a real combat hero. Dad was a Company Commander in Korea just as the Chinese entered and were pushing back the American troops down the peninsula. Through his skill full leadership, Dad managed to keep his force intact against Chinese wave attacks. Bud asked Dad about the reports of Chinese soaking up bullets, and I was told that Dad said “hell, they were hopped up, they were all hopped up!”. Which as I understood, the Chinese were either on drugs/alcohol, or they were so highly motivated, that they were not going down as long as they could move. Most likely a combination of both.

Even so, the M1 carbine was a pistol substitute, never meant to be a mainline battle rifle, and as such, was not as powerful as a 30-06.

What you say there AMD6547? I had a M1 carbine never did like it much or the caliber. I sold it in 2004 & only wish I did not sell it because I could get a lot more money for it like six mouths later. I like my SKS's much better. Way more reliable & a much better caliber in the 7.62x39 for sure. The only thing I don't like about the SKS is that it is a commie block gun. And it was true that the .30carbine caliber did fail to penetrate Chinese winter clothing &/or stop them with first shot. All I know if I was in that fight(or ww2) I would chuck it & pick up a M1 from a dead GI as soon as I could.Or even an SKS. I feel sorry for the GI's who had to use them in combat. It was never meant to be use as a front line weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back