Will a .270 be a good choice for Africa?

IMVHO, the best guy to start with, bar none, is Danie van Graan at Engonyameni in RSA. Great accomodations in a jungle atmosphere, great plains game, great PH.
vgraan@mweb.co.za

For a more "civilized" RSA plains game hunt (less bush, more plain; Clean, US style accomodations): Johann Bosch at Dinaka
dinaka@global.co.za

Use my name in both cases.

Unable to recommend my Tanzania PH.
Rich

Ah The Caliber For The World aka .270 Win

How the heck did we get this deep into the thread about .270s and nobody rolled ole Jack O'Conner outa his grave?
For the young, Jack and Elmer used to go tooth and nail over caliber wars, who killed more game etc, etc.
The letter exchanged between them were published and I'm sure sold a good many magazines and books.

Outdoor Life (Or was it Field and Stream?) ran an article about how the .270 is inherently unaccurate....

::Scrap dodges bottles and rotten tomatos::

Hey Rich.....

would you mind telling me the outfitter in Tanzania you used? I plan on going there on my next safari....always looking to guys that have been with someone..ps....do you belong to the safari club?....if so, did you submit a report?....Thanks, Doug

I know a guy that took his 270 to Africa. The biggest thing he shot was a zebra. Or I should say his wife did. He took five animals with the 270. Keep your game within reason and you should not have a problem.

Scrap, the problem with those sorts of magazine articles is that they don't match my own experience. Back when I was poor-boying things, I bought a Sears&Sawbuck bolt-action .270. Gave $70 for it. I put a good used Weaver K4 on it. On the bench I easily got five-shot groups of one MOA to 1.25 MOA. I started handloading and doing a bit of forearm tweaking, and cut a quarter-inch off the group size.

Ruinacious on Bambi, Wiley and the occasional jackrabbit. And one feral cat.

:), Art

Keep your game within reason and you should not have a problem.
Makes sense if you're willing to go over there, at a cost of $15k or more, and utter the words:
"Biggest Kudu you ever saw, huh? Yeah, he IS beautiful. Well, maybe next time."

iudoug-
Jean-Pierre(?) and Philippe LaTrive. Based in France.
J&M(?) Safaris.

I do NOT recommend them. The only thing that saved my hunt was the fact that I brought my own PH from RSA along.
Don't belong to SCI, because I'm not a joiner and not real big on measuring my kills.
Rich

Thanks Rich...but if I were you ...

I would start measuring....on that Mulie you shot!!!:D What a dandy....I am a life member of the safari club and have never measured anything for sci yet. Just doesn't matter alot to me as score goes....but I love the hunt.....matter of fact the PH I hunted with this summer in RSA almost cried when I told him I could care less about measuring the last Kudu I shot.....no world record but pretty darn big and according to him should go high in the book. The SCI convetion is so AWESOME I am sure you would love that....that and also members share their hunting experiences.....good and bad to help the next guy from getting burnt.....Doug

Doug-
The Taxidery report I have on my Eland, taken in 2001, shows it to be the 2nd or 3rd largest ever taken....so I'm told by my PH who begged me to join and report.

Impact-
How do you explain to your PH that you need to pass on this one because all you brought was a .270? Or do you just shoot him "behind the ear"? ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rich

Attachments

• 1Eland1.jpg
    1Eland1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 156
  • 2Eland2.jpg
    2Eland2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 156
GEEZ Rich...I don't think....

he is stretching one dang bit.....makes the one I shot look like a yearling!!! His top notch ( long hair on the forehead is just as impressive) What a beauty.....Eland are far and away the best eating thing in Africa as far as I am concerned, I have seen alot of Eland mounted...none in your class,Doug

Eland are far and away the best eating thing in Africa as far as I am concerned
Never thought I'd be caught dead eating tongue of any animal. They insisted that I try it....one of the high points of the trip. Damn, that was good!

Agreed as to the rest of the Eland....VERY tasty.
Another memorable eat is WaterBuck....on my first two trips, they wouldn't cook it. They claimed the scent glands infect the meat and it's horrid. My last trip, Nadine Bosch said that was an old wives tale and cooked some up for us. Hoo-Haa!
Rich

Rich....not in the league of your

Eland but I think you will like this guy, Doug

Attachments

• kudu.jpg
    kudu.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 49
Niiiiice!! Couldn't help but notice how close after 9/11 that was, too...dunno why I mentioned that, dates always seem to have a pre-post 9/11 significance to me now

iudoug-
Monster...simply a monster! Kudos! :D

Scrap-
Yup. I left, I believe, on 9/21...spent 4 interesting days in Dar Es Salaam, where my Muslim protectors refused to let me out their sights.
Rich

Rich the guy did not pay for the trip. It was a Christmas gift from his company. Can I say "Christmas" on the TFL?:rolleyes: Or will I be banned

Christmas?
We LOVE Christmas, here.

But you still didn't answer the question....doesn't matter if the local FEMA Agency bought the trip because he'd had a tough Hurricane Season. They didn't dictate his choice of weapons, did they?

So, what's he do after 21 hours of bad flight and bad food when that trophy steps out. The answer is of real interest to me.
Rich

I don't know much about the trip. I do know he could shoot five game animals. The biggest was a zebra. He shot this one animal that had horns and was no bigger than a dog. The 270 worked just fine for what he was hunting.

This was about two years ago:) No FEMA around then. He has a pretty good job. I think Africa bit him on the butt because he keeps talking about these big guns he wants the next time he goes back:D

Back