Wild hogs not just a Texas/Louisiana problem.

Note all the reasons mentioned in prior posts, most land owners here do not want hack hunters and all the problems they often bring.

In our case we only allow folks on our outlying non-contiguous sections, primarily due to the time involved. On the main ranch some areas are only reached after a days ride plus camp set-up, then tare down and another days ride out (we don't run double track on most of the main ranch, horse/mule only).

So you really aren't talking about a normal situation when you referenced...
I laugh every time I see people complaining about not being able to work here in the U.S. Anyone willing to get dirty and get out in the elements can make decent money culling hogs for ranchers & farmers.

You are talking about ultra remote, non-vehicle access range work where the time really isn't in the culling of hogs, but in travel and camping. That differs considerably from most all elsewhere in the country.

And nobody was asking to hunt your land, just what part of NM had this great bounty of hogs, but apparently, it isn't the bounty of hogs, but the difficulty in access.

Wow this thread is getting heated. Well there is no right or wrong answer to whether people should charge hog hunters for hunting on their property or not. Some landowners feel entitled to collecting a charge for this while others simply just want the hogs to be reduced on their property. Its not a matter of right or wrong but just the personal feelings of the landowner and what they feel entitled too. Yes some charge and I understand that, and some don't charge, I understand that also.

I also know and grew up with just a few people that make their whole entire living and support and raise their families just by hog extermination. Yes these guys use and train dogs, trap, or just hunt them with guns. They do charge the landowner in most cases, but if they can take the hog alive than they charge the landowner a very reduced price because they just turn around and sell the hog. Now most people I know just hunt to hunt but these few guys have their own businesses and they make their whole living off of it.

Me personally I have a few properties that I hunt, and I always have since I was a very young kid. These people don't charge me and never have. And most of the time I don't even have to call them to let them know i'm coming to hunt their property. But like Stony and Ricky and many others have said, these landowners just trust me and they are just glad to get the hogs off their property. I would never dream of charging anyone because I just enjoy it way too much, but I have a fulltime job and dont have to depend on hog hunting for a living, if it was the other way around than yeah I would charge. But I'm like RickyRick, you just can't put a price tag on free hog hunting.

Also I agree one hundred percent with Ol' Stony, these people that let us hunt their property trust us and many have known us for very long times. So if I were to bring someone with me or let someone else out on their property ,which will probably never happen, and they disrespect the property and privliges, than your going to be held accountable for their actions and possibly lose your access to the land. So yeah I would be hard pressed to find anyone trustworthy for such things.

And I guess according to some people on this thread that simply because a hunter comes to your door and shakes your hand and talks to you face to face would never do any damage or disrespect to your property and trust. Wow I wish we had that dream world down here in Texas where you knew someone was trustworthy just because they knocked on your door and shook your hand. WOW. Must be nice.

There is another stake holder involved that has not yet been mentioned, the state. A land owner does not own the game, the state does per English common law towit: the landowner must abide by state laws such as bag limits, tags, seasons, etc. Louisiana may differ being subject to Code Napoleon (parishes instead of counties for example).

Even if wild hogs are considered vermin the state still has a stake insofar as it threatens game and game habitat.

The point being that the land owner does not have the entire nor the final say.

All it takes is for the state to declare in this case feral hogs a deleterious species and the state can dictate what is done even on private land. Oregon, Idaho and Washington have banded together and done that. Feral hogs are too much of an agricultural problem. We had feral hogs introduced into this state back in the eighties. They were quickly eradicated.

Each state has an agricultural board and a wildlife board. If one of these boards were to declare the hogs in other states the hog problem would be more under control because more pressure would be brought against the private land owners that want to profit from the hog problem.

In Washington we also have a noxious weed board and private land owners have been held accountable for weed infestations and it sure aint cheep and there is no recourse.

http://usfwspacific.tumblr.com/post/132413251175/publics-help-needed-to-keep-feral-pigs-at-bay-in

http://www.invasivespecies.wa.gov/priorities/feral_swine.shtml

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/hot_topics/swine.asp

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/conservationstrategy/invasive_species/feral_swine.asp

Last edited:
I have no problem with game laws enforced by the state, other than some of the idiotic antler restrictions we have in Texas. You implement laws requiring land owners to allow hunters on their properties and you are going to encounter armed conflict in this part of the country.

Complying with the law is simply phrasing the language of the contracts in the proper manner. If one can not charge directly for wild hog hunting, they can lease hunting rights for certain dates on their property out to hunters. They can then in turn charge trophy fees for the animals other than hogs. "You can shoot those nuisance hogs off my land for free if they come around but a trophy buck will have a $5k trophy fee if you decide to shoot him." It is not so much "you can't do" something as it is you have to get an attorney involved to write a contract that jumps through hoops to put you in compliance with the law.

All it takes is for the state to declare in this case feral hogs a deleterious species and the state can dictate what is done even on private land. Oregon, Idaho and Washington have banded together and done that. Feral hogs are too much of an agricultural problem. We had feral hogs introduced into this state back in the eighties. They were quickly eradicated.

Not exactly. The state hasn't or can't dictate allowing public hunting of your land, not even in WA, OR, or ID.

I understand that in OR, you can't charge for hunting hogs. You can charge a land use fee to people who want to use your land for recreation of their choosing, however. Oregon's hog problem isn't going away.

Oregon requires that you file an eradication plan if you discover hog sign on your property. The plan can be rather vague and confirmed success of eradication is not mandatory.

I always think this is funny. I think the precieved wolf problem in Idaho is much worse than the precieved hog problem in Texas. Why do I think so. Here locally every so often I see adds in the news paper asking people to come hunt there lands to clear out the wolves. In Texas most of the time you have to know some body or be willing to pay to hunt hogs on private land.

My brother said he went deer hunting down near Salmon near some private land and had hit deer run on to some private land. The land owner said he could retrieve his deer but asked that he come back and shoot some wolves too.

Just my 2 cents

Texas land owners make profit from hunting, period. It's the way things are.

The Texas hog problem is not perceived at all. But, a guy from Ohio wanting to hunt for one weekend to get a trophy boar won't help the problem at all.

Another issue is this: if a person laid down fat money on a deer lease, he's not gonna be pleased with a freebie hog hunter tromping around his area.

You do not implement laws allowing public hunting of hogs on private land you declare the hogs a nuisance and employ hunters contracted out to a state agency and then bill the land owner for the eradication services because the land owner failed to stay in compliance.

Deer hunters often exasterbate the problem by feeding pigs as a backup plan and Christmas hams

If you put a feeder in hog country you will get wild hogs. Those wild hogs often run the deer off the feed.

There is one sure way of keeping hogs away from deer feeders; install a low fence. Deer hop over the fence but the hogs stay out.

To attract hogs after deer season is over simply open one end of a panel.

Somebody mentioned about seeing less deer with more feral hogs. Anybody know of them going after fawns? I have seen penned hogs patiently wait acting like they were sleeping and grab full grown roosters and eat them. Just curious.

To Gunplummer: the guy who's land I hunt on has a neighbor who had a calf killed by hogs I've spoke to the guy and he swares it was hogs because coyotes would have atleast ate the calf. Wether it be true or not is beyond me but that's what I heard. I'm sure if they will kill calfs given the chance they would surely kill a fawn.

A friend who owns land says hogs run off deer and turkey.

Two years ago his 90 year old mother-in-law said she saw the "cows wrestling" so she walked outside to have a closer look and slipped on the ice and broke her hip. "No mother, those aren't cows those are pigs."

He called up his ex green beret military buddies together and they wiped the pigs out.

Last edited:
Anybody know of them going after fawns?

IMO: Some hogs develop a taste for fawns. i caught one big boar in the act of killing a fawn. Another was eating a fawn i heard him kill. Both hogs died on the spot.

In general hogs can infiltrate a herd of animals, wild or domestic, and cause problems. They will eat anything... At the bare minimum, they can bully other animals and cause stress to the population.

That isn't exactly what the NY DEC says.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html
When a hunter shoots at a boar, the animals in the sounder run off in all directions and don't always come back together again. Hunting prevents us from trapping all the animals in the sounder, makes the boars harder to trap during subsequent attempts (boars learn to avoid traps if they are shot at around a trap), and instead of one large sounder, we must now have to locate and eradicate two or more smaller sounders.

If there goal is to catch entire sounders in traps, then their statement isn't without merit. Sounders can be scattered for a brief period of time, but individuals find each other pretty quickly.

With that said, even with professional trappers like JagerPro, trapping is only part of the solution and is not 100% effective.

However, they do say something that is mind boggling.
Because the boars have a high survival and reproductive rate, hunters must take 70-75% of the population each year just to stabilize the population.

That implies that the population, if unchecked by hunters/trappers, will triple to quadruple every year.

They go on to say...
That is nearly impossible to do. Even in Texas where wild boar hunting is very popular, hunters take less than 40% of the population each year.

So if you only need 25-30% of a given population to survive and repopulate to comparable number within a year (stabilized population) and Texas is leaving behind >60% per year, then the Texas population must be more than doubling? Well, no. Despite apparently leaving behind so many, the annual increase is around 20% increase per year. http://www.invasivespecies.wa.gov/documents/squealonpigs/FeralHogPopGrowthDensity&HarvestinTX.pdf

Even at a claimed growth rate of 20% per year, the estimates for the Texas hog population surprisingly do not seem to reflect a 20% per year increase in population. We have been at 2-3 million hogs for more than a decade. If we were at 2 million 10 years ago with 20% population increase, then we should be at well over 12 million by now.

The bottom line here is that the giant population increases that should be occurring as indicated by stipulated numbers from government and academic sources are not occurring.

Back