Wild hog bacon!!

This is a little off topic but have you ever baked bacon? I got this off a cooking show and it really works. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, lay out the bacon strips touching is OK but over lapping doesn't work well. Then bake at 400 degrees. I don't remember the time, I smell for the done aroma and check often. This produces the most evenly cooked crisp bacon you ever had...

The only way I'll fry bacon anymore is if I'm on a camping trip and I don't do that anymore either...

Tony

BigMike: Lamb bacon is super fatty and best used for beans, rather than a side to eggs in my opinion.

bswiv: With today's advances in technology, I would suspect our first "smell-o-vision" to be within a good decade or so lol

Geezerbiker: Absolutely! It's also pretty good from the microwave, providing it's a good unit.

Right now marks about 37 hours drying in the fridge. Tomorrow, they get some smoke!

Here we are getting some smoke. I tried something different since it was from a wild hog and went with mesquite. All I have to say is: WOW!!

Here we are all sliced up and ready to put in the pan. This batch makes for some EXCELLENT BLT's!! I think the mesquite added such an awesome flavor profile for sandwiches. Texas Toast with chipotle mayo, a little spicy brown mustard, lettuce and tomato. Sorry I didn't get a pic of any of the sandwiches, you'll have to use your imagination there :cool:

I sure wish I could go hog hunting in your neck of the woods. There's none here and the OR dept of fish and game are working hard to keep it that way...

Tony

Back