Wild Boar Hunting?

Folks,

Out of curiousity for your thoughts on the matter...

Would your analysis be different depending upon whether the handgun were the primary weapon for hunting hogs as opposed to backing up a long-gun of appropriate caliber?

My personal input is that it should make no difference with respect to caliber (perhaps a longer barrel would be more appropriate for a primary weapon...and better sights perhaps...but as to caliber, the same analysis would apply). Any opinions?

Boarhunter

I will be back at the hunt club in South Georgia next month. I am taking a Savage 170 (pump 30-30) for hunting in the swamp or heavy pine cover. For stand hunting over a feed plot, I am taking one of my Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbines, chambered in 8x56 MS. I use my handloads in both rifles.
I have never had any problem killing hogs with a 30-30 or .44 Mag lever gun.

Should the backup gun have the capabilities to be a primary hog hunting gun?

Holman,

That is almost what I am getting at by my inquiry.

For example, if I were using a handgun as a primary Russian hog-killin' machine, I would want something in the heavy .44 mag or better range with a bullet that would penetrate an oak tree (although I am tempted to try a .357 for the added excitement...). But if the handgun were backing up a decent long gun (e.g., a Marlin .45/70, etc.), would a .45 acp be acceptable...after all, it is not likely to leave the holster? Frankly, I personally would prefer a .44 mag as a backup, but I can see where others might feel perfectly content with something less.

Boarhunter

I was hunting hogs here in Tx and tried to sneak up on a bunch of fat ones. Within 30 Carbine range, I had it one my back. I heard some little piglets to my left . and then i heard a very angry Sow to my right, Running at me out of the weeds. I grabbed my 45 auto and shoot her right tween the eyes at a range of about 36 INCHES!. The bullet kinda peeled the skin off her head and dropped her head down. She was promply up and after me before the slide on my 45 closed. So i did what any self respecting gun addict would do and shot a few more times at a range of about 36 inches. Well, after i peeled all the skin off the top of her head and put out one eye and shot an ear off, she decided it was a bad idea to try to eat me. I was glad, cause the magazine on my 45 was empty. 45 no worky for pigs! Especially if they are charging you. Im looking for a 50 BMG handgun.

Gee I dont know what all the fuss is about with these wild boars. Yeah I know they are tough. I took one last weekend with my Python. I hardly ever carry a back up gun with me while hog hunting. I have taken several of them with one shot from my bow. Sometimes we even do it hand to hand with a knife

I don't understand your premise.

If you already own a .308, why would you want a M-N M44 for hogs? Don't get me wrong - - Purchase of a classic military rifle is it's own justification. There's a whole spectrum of good hunting loads for the .308. For close range hog hunting, I'd think the Remington 180 gr. RN Express Load would be all you'd need, if you stick with the .30 caliber. Now, if you wanted to go UP in size, I could understand that. My last hog was taken with a .35 Whelen, and it didn't kill him a bit too dead. :D I intend my next hog to fall to a .45-70 I already own.

The M44 is a pretty handy length carbine, to be sure, but the safety is almost impossible to manipulate quickly, compared to a .308 sporting rifle. As stated, the 7.62 x 54 Russian is essentially similar to the .30'06, but it is superior to the .308 only at l-o-o-n-g range.

As to handguns for hog hunting - - I always carry a handgun, just from force of habit. As a backup gun, I figure my .45 ACP will do for a finishing shot, or get one off me if I happen to drop my rifle in a bad spot. If handgun hunting for hawgs, I'd certainly choose a .45 Colt or a magnum revolver.

Best,
Johnny

Back