Wife Having Trouble with Model 37 Heavy Trigger

RKG- you have it backwards. The rebound spring affects the D/A trigger pull. I'm sure that was a typo. I agree that polishing the slide makes a lot of difference.

Well, the factory may have changed the textbook since I went to school there.

The DA pull has to compress the main spring. The SA pull does not.

heavy

The lack of hand strength sufficient to effectively run a DA revolver was a common problem with some of the female trainee's I worked with on my brief stints a FLETC, Glynco. As auto's were not on the scene for common issue, we worked on hand strength......even to the point of issuing "half guns", old S&W frames with no barrels and nixed pins and hammers........seems like the cylinders were removed too.

The two finger technique was common, but what if that hand is disabled or busy doing something else? The auto in its various guises solved much of the hand strength issue.

Well, of course it does!
But shooting D/A you have to overcome the mainspring AND rebound spring.
True, but I believe you will find, either by doing a force analysis, by talking to the people who build these things, or by experimentation that the weight of the DA pull is dominated by the main spring. Change main springs and you will see a direct change in the DA pull. Leave the mainspring alone, though, while changing rebound springs, and you will see a de minimis change in DA pull (if you are able to detect any change at all).

Hence the "rule," as I was taught and as I have observed for, well, more years than I'm will to admit, as stated.

Teddy Jacobson at Actions by T can cut the pull weight in half by doing nothing but polishing all interior and parts with ceramic particles. No cut or bent springs, and a lot of older folks are real happy to continue using their guns by doing this. The process is sometimes referred to jeweling.

Back