Why you carry your handgun

Can’t remember where I read it, but someone was asked if they carried a gun because they were expecting trouble. On the contrary, the vast majority of legal gun CHL/CCW owners would avoid trouble if they expected it and most often are much more apt to deescalate at a bad situation if caught in one. The reason they carry is for the unexpected trouble.

I personally carry a gun because I feel it’s a God-given right; just like going to Church on Sunday, traveling the CONUS without “permission” and enjoying all the other liberties we as Americans have earned. As a Soldier of more than 25 years, I’ve seen that those without firearms and the ability to defend themselves become targets of opportunity and victims of thugs, tyrants and criminals. Utopia is only evident to the ruling elite or the often-changing power of criminal king pens and terrorists, while the peasants and victims are subject to their dictates. The “gun” and armed individuals in conjunction with the rule-of-law and civil-rights maintains balance. You’ll never get rid of the criminal king-pens or self-serving dictators and tyrants…hence the common man/woman should never give up the right to defend one’s self or liberty.

Much the same, we have the Declaration of Independence which gives us the “unalienable rights” of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness; all are guaranteed, but must be protected and most citizens would agree that individuals must be vigilant at protecting those rights. The firearm provides individuals the ability to do that today; it might be light-sabers and lasers tomorrow, but this is a gun-culture but a culture of liberty with the understanding that it must be protected.

As to the gun culture specifically, America was founded with militia’s being the only means of defense and numerous communities and individual homesteads maintained arms for defense of property and life. Given that a bunch of “subjects” fought off the greatest military of the time using “modern” firearms owned by individuals, you can see where the culture of firearms garnered its reputation. Fast forward to the post-Civil War of the western expansion and how the rule of law was often assaulted and armed individuals supported small-town law enforcement you can only extrapolate that this “gun-culture” directly contributes to the individual responsibilities to the Constitution and enforcing a civil society.

I would also tie the positive aspects of the “gun-culture” to civil rights. Even after the Emancipation Proclamation, the old “black codes” continued up to the civil rights movement, specifically keeping Blacks from owning firearms and not allowing them self-defense from attacks spawned by bigoted racists.

Our “gun-culture” directly defends LIFE from law-breakers and tyrants. Our “gun-culture” is intrinsically tied to obtaining our LIBERTY, keeping that liberty intact and defending liberty the world-over; it’s not a government or military responsibility it’s an American individual responsibility. Our “gun-culture” is imbedded in numerous, often historical activities in the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS from historical reenactments, old-West (SASS) shooting sports, more modern shooting sports including hunting and target shooting (including the Olympics) and the sheer enjoyment of combining both the historical relevance of firearms design and firearm collections.

Just a few of my personal thoughts…

ROCK6

- Why do you carry a gun?
- What do you think is the definition of gun culture?

1) Because I feel like it.
2) I have no thoughts on the definition of "gun culture," but I do have thoughts about the people who use the term.

- Why do you carry a gun?
I carry because it is my right as a citizen of this country. I have the right to protect myself and my loved ones.
I think it’s a made up term by the anti gun culture. You see it in lots of places. You don’t want gays to marry then you hate them. You want to limit illegal aliens and you hate them.
Anyone who thinks that a 30 year old woman that carries a gun for self protection is part of a “Gun culture” is living on another planet.
Let’s face it, the current administration and the leading member of the senate hate gun owners and anything that can make gun owners look bad they are going to use it.
I don’t consider myself part of a “gun culture”, I consider myself an American that believes in the constitution as it is written not what some politician thinks it needs to be changed to because it doesn’t fit with the world today.
If anything I consider myself part of the “conservative bible thumping hard working protect the innocent help a friend when in need anti democrat gun caring American culture”.
I own a large number of guns, I know without a doubt that if Washington could they would take them all away. But for now staying in office is more important than confiscation. But I will say this. When the Demogods get the senate, congress the president and enough judges, every gun in every home will be taken.
If you don’t believe that, you’re living on another planet.

For the same reason I have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen and a spare tire in my car.
In the unlikely event I will need it I will thank God I had it close at hand.

Been carrying for over 12 years now, would have much sooner if only our state would have come to it's senses sooner. I carry because the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. (Wayne LaPierre) And, with a handicapped wife, I always felt I had a target printed on my back, (Easy mark) though my physical size probably kept this down to a minimum. I've had scant few instances where I was extra happy to be carrying, but those few outweighed all the other times put together.

I think the gun culture believes in hunting, shooting, collecting, gunsmithing, talking guns, historical research on guns, basically having guns as part of their everyday lives, without a hint of danger, but respect, because they know how to properly do all the above, and reserve danger for those that would oppose or infringe on their rights.

I don't live in America, so does that mean I can't/shouldn't leave input?

We all believe that everyone has the God given right to self protection and no government has the authority to determine otherwise. So feel free to contribute and share your experience.

So feel free to contribute and share your experience.

Thanks!

I thought that perhaps the fact this is all info for a research paper on US gun trends, I figured RoW was not needed.

Why do I carry? Mostly so that I have additional options if things went south in a big way, particularly when I am out with my family or walking the dogs (some dog owners like their status dogs, but I think pepper spray is better suited that). I don't carry all the time. I don't carry to work for example. Aside from that I do carry a larger revolver for walking in the woods.

As far as gun culture is concerned I can't really say, not living in the US.

If I had to guess, based on stereotypes, I'd say gun culture could be loosely group into three factions:
- the status seeker, motivated by the image guns project to their given peer group,
- the traditionalist, including people who have guns as part of their daily environment and home as well as those who have guns as part of lifestyle/life ethic,
-and the hobby/sport shooter.

Why do I carry a gun? Because I refuse to be a helpless victim again. If I had been able to carry in 1992 I don't believe I would have been shot, or at least I wouldn't have been the only one shot. Before that incident, I was a shooter and a hunter but not to the degree I am now. Many people thought I would never want to touch a gun again. I explained that there is no logic in thinking that way, the gun was simply a tool and did what it is designed to do. There is nothing inherently good or evil about firearms. Like any other inanimate object it is subject to the users whim. It is the intent with which it is used that determines whether the action is good or bad.

I'm a big believer in personal accountability and responsibility. I have first aid kits in my home, vehicle, and EDC bag. I carry a portable charger for my iphone 5. I carry a knife for utility purposes. I carry a multitool. I show up to work early, work as efficiently as possible, and do what I can to help everyone around me succeed in their roles. For the same reason that I do all of those things, I also choose to carry a firearm. I depend on *me* to ensure my health and happiness.

Gun culture is a complicated subject. I won't try to take it on here.

I won't speak to anyone else but my family and close friends in the South. To us, gun "culture" means a lot of things. They are a source of pride in one's family legacy, for example. My grandfather was a Master Sergeant in World War II, and I have several of his guns from back then. He was also a crack shot competitor with a rifle, and I have his competition gun. It's a part of him and his legacy that makes me feel connected to him. Other members of my family have served in Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm, and certain firearms can remind us of that service, their accomplishments, their hardships, and their perserverence.

One of my cousins was at Mogadishu in Somalia in the followup raid to the Blackhawk Down incident. He wound up incapacitating (but not killing) two enemies with his M9 sidearm when they stepped out from an alleyway and fired toward him while he was trying to clear a jam. It saved his bacon. He never forgot it, and now he carries a Beretta 92FS everyday, the civilian version of the M9 pistol. Someday, his kids will inherit that pistol, and it will remind them of his story, even though they've only ever heard it once. It's the type of thing you don't forget. That pistol represents them still having a father at Christmas time. To my grandfather, his old Colt 1911 (and I mean, OLD) represents making it home to his pregnant wife following an assault on his unit by the Japanese after they pinpointed his location.

To me, a couple of my own guns representing going home alive a few times where I might have not done so had I not had a gun on me. It represents doing my duty and still getting to go home and kiss my beautiful, three year old daughter goodnight. They also represent bonding times with my own father, times we sat in a boat cleaning our revolvers while we waited for the fish to bite or sitting quietly for hours in near freezing temperatures hoping to get that prize buck. Those guns represent momma's delicious deer burgers, deer spaghetti, alligator tail, and fried turkey legs.

Families like mine have fighting traditions that run very deep. Almost every member of my family is military or law enforcement, and we all thank our training, our insticts, our God, and our guns when we get together that most of us are still here, and pray those that aren't finally know peace.

Outside of traditions and legacy, we also look at guns as an integral part of our daily lives and somtimes as a form of therapy. It's part of outdoors activities in general, activities that are tremendous stress relievers for people like us who struggle at times to shake off the anxieties we often feel in crowded cities. You'd be surprised at the number of soldiers with PTSD who are measurably more calm and stable if they just have their sidearm. Often times, having to readjust to civilian life unarmed causes more stress than you can imagine. They learned to take comfort in their training and their equipment in hostile environments with threats all around them, and having that concealed sidearm allows them to push aside a lot of the paranoia and stress of the battlefield when they do something like go to the grocery store. It's not that they wish to hurt anyone. It's that wish not to and that realize they must mitigate their anxiety however they can if they ever hope to live a normal life again.

People seem to think that guns like the AR-15 can't be part of the type of "gun culture" I've described, but they are wrong. The AR-15, like the Beretta 92, is a civilian variant/approximation (semi-auto instead of auto) of the types of gun that many solidiers owe their lives to. It represents family military pride and accomplishment as much as the 92FS or the 1911. The evolution of firearms over time in no way detracts from the feelings they inspire in those who have depended on them. Laws or regulations that aim to curtail the acquisition of certain firearms tend to make people like my family feel threatened, as though part of our heritage and tradition is being stripped away, as though people like us aren't welcome as we are, the people we had to be for the sake of our fellow citizens.

So, that's "gun culture" to the people I can speak for, admittedly nowhere near the majority of gun enthusiasts. But, hopefully it can give you at least a little bit of insight into how a few people may feel about their guns.

I am an American and as I am an American, I have the Constitutional Right to protect myself and my family from all threats, foreign and domestic.

On the street, I am already outmatched by any healthy twenty year male who wants to harm me or my invalid wife for what little money we have.

Should an assailant attack my wife and knock her down, she will likely break her hip and could die.

With a moon roof in his head ,I won't have to worry about that happening.

Well, I don't carry all the time. I do carry when I am walking around my rural neighborhood at dusk. I have a stupid neighbor and there are some dangerous animals here. Mountain lions for one and I don't want ot be part of the food chain.

I don't like the politically correct term "Gun Culture" because I just don't think it applies.

I think we should all be vigilant about defending the right to have our firearms. The problem is the attack has taken a different turn and makes our firearms worthless. If you can not find ammo or supplies, they are no threat.

the entire reason our country was never invaded by any country is that nobody wants to invade a country that the citizens can defend themselves, side by side with the military and LEO.

There are times when I carry, just few anymore since I rarely leave my property unless at work and there company policy says no.

Mel

We were invaded in the War of 1812. No one since then had the slightest interest in invading us in any realistic situation.

Alaska was invaded in WWII as a feint by the Japanese.

To the question - very simple answer - there are bad people in the world, along with some nasty animals.

Albert Einstein said to the effect "I carry a pencil and paper even when I have nothing to write, I carry a pocket knife even when I have no strings to cut, I wear a watch even when I have no appointments to keep. I do this only to be prepared if the need arises."
Now ask again why I carry a pistol... Nuff Said

Back