Why Would A Traffic Light Care About The Time Or Date? (Y2K Reality Check)

• Thread starter Thread starter .
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont need to bomb the USA to defeat it. JUST CUT OFF THE OIL! The entire economy will collapse like a deck of cards. Y2k will effect oil importations. That is a given.

Giz: My non-authoritative understanding is that embedded chips are used in remote sensing devices, which relay information back to a central computer; or, they actuate some equipment as told to by a central computer.

So, even if the central computer's sofware and other internals are totally uncconcerned about Y2K, bad stuff *could* happen.

Dennis Olson's comments are well-taken as to an onset of economic problems, followed by civil-disturbance problems. As for banks, loans, billings: All the government has to do to create a short-term breathing spell is to declare a moratorium on all debt and debt-payment. The interest due would be added to the back end of a note, but nobody would lose their business or home...This is in no way a new concept.

Later, Art

Ivan, your last post along with Dennis' re oil imports serves as a warning. While I don't believe the magnitude of the Y2K cutoff of oil imports will bring the US to its knees, it may cause us economic recession and other problems. FYI, I work for an oil company, have been involved in Y2K testing and readiness, and one of the things that was considered and planned for was moving oil from our overseas interests (I don't know the details, my users are explorationists, not the production or transportation types).

My question is, how high will fuel costs go?

What the Middle Eastern countries did to us in '73 sure put a damper on most of the rest of the '70s, didn't it? A cutoff like that would be worse now because of what we've allowed to happen to the domestic oil industry. Course, we in the oil business shouldn't feel picked on- look what happened to automobiles, textiles, mining, and a lot of other industries with good paying jobs. And some with not so good pay- look at the American small farmer.

I apologize for going off thread here, Im ranting like a big dog. This topic likely needs its own thread.

Speaking of oil import problems, I've read articles that indicate we've got our own problems where oilfield production and output are concerned. Some of you probably read the same material, but it boils down to the computerized valve controls for the wellheads getting flaky and defaulting to an "emergency close" setting. Some of these systems are not easily accessible for replacement of existing chips (read: deep sea divers needed).

However, as far as chips used in things like automotive applications, I just don't see how the calendar that lurks somewhere within the chips in my Electronic Engine Control (EEC) computer are going to *know* when to croak. I sure as hell never programmed a date into the car after the last time I pulled the battery cables off. As far as the car knows, it's already 1900 and everything's cool! Now, I grant that some high-end models with the fancy computerized functions might have problems, but in that one area I believe that the industry's slow pace has saved us all from serious transporation headaches.

But what the heck, I've stockpiled a decent amount of food and lots of ammo, I've even got extra clothing and shoes just because it's good to be prepared. If the new cars all die, I'll be able to point to my '65 Mustang and tell the wife "See, it WAS a good investment!"

If the oil supply causes gasoline shortages and horrific price-gouging, I'll ride my bicycle. Now I just have to figure out how to mount a rifle scabbard on the handlebars.

The folks that post on this board and similar sites will probably do just fine. It's the clueless millions that are the biggest danger. During the Great Depression, families and friends found ways to network and managed to survive. If something that bad or worse is headed our way, will society be as resilient as it was in the 1930s? One way or another, we'll get to see it all happen.

Listened to the Jim Cederstrum show out of Warsaw MO. today. His show,"Fianancial Survival in the Nineties ", has been on the air for 10 years. He ran off a list of people involved in Y2k problems and except for one, ALL have revised their predictions to a worst case scenario from one year ago. Ten is the worst case. A French software developer,author of four books, says it will be a 8. a Carl Felder ,ceo in UK and involved in Australia and S. Africa y2k problems has gone from a 5 a year ago to a 8 this year. And either the head of the Canadian Banking system or someone high up, says it may be a 10! And the Major of sanDiego says go out New Years Eve and have a good time! I can see the GDP now out on the streets drunked up and having the good time the politicians are telling them to have! Like Cederstrum says, better stay around home on this one.

A friend of mine is a welder for a gas distribution company here in the east. All the big shots for this company,which moves gas from Louisiana to the coast, have been getting ready for a year with generators and Large supplies of fuel on their own properties. I think if the imbedded chips screw up oil distribution from overseas and ,combined with possible chip problems at home in the refineries, we will be in serious trouble. Can you see gas rationing in the Nineties? And the ratiuoning in the seventies was fake since the tankers were sitting off the coast waiting for the highere prices at the pump. This time it wont be fake and no easy fix. Jobs would go and with it the ponzi scheme stock market. I sure hope i am wrong but indicators FROM the people in the know tell me diferrently.

Ivan and others, I think most of us posting here aren't big shots who can afford 50 KW diesel generators and underground fuel tanks on our property that we've got surrounded by razor wire. That was the point I was trying to make earlier.

I just know I am not going to give up, I am planning on surviving even if TSHTF like some folks are saying. If my current job goes away because of upheaval, there will still be a need for technical people like me to help rebuild. If not, I'm still pretty healthy and not afraid to go back to what my Dad still calls "honest work".

I totally agree with Ivan about the stock market being a ponzi scheme. That hasn't stopped me from participating in a 401k. If it becomes worthless paper, well, it was only a few percent from each paycheck anyway, and like I posted earlier I expect to work until they're throwing dirt in my face. Not my choice now but my it was my doing.

BTW, I have heard of no problems with embedded chips while our field guys were out Y2K testing production, gathering, and transport facilities.

In my mind, it's not about megabucks and a cave in the wilderness. I live in a small town (pop 9000), but it's only 20 miles from Minneapolis. I'm just filling the basement as best I can. I put 4 months' food (regular "eat every day" stuff, not MRE's & dehydrated) and 8 - 55 gallon blue plastic water drums down there (Sam's Club, $22.95, stk# 968070), and got a Berkefeld filter.

We got 4 - 55 gallon steel drums filled with gas (and a cast iron rotary hand pump, fuel-rated). The generator we took out a home loan for (wanna be out of power/heat in January in Minnesota?), and a 500 gallon RENTED propane tank as a backup fuel source for the genny and the furnace.

Except for the genny (hoo-boy!), my biggest single expense has been guns & ammo. We tripled our weapons cache, and went from a TOTAL of about 50 rds to nearly 10,000! (We still have more coming)

We still have to TRY to get night-vision, but it's expensive too.... Bummer.

Hiding out is NOT the answer. Stocking enough supplies to make it through any short- or intermediate-term disruptions is the name of the game. If the country "Mad Max's", we're all pretty much hosed anyway, IMO.

So, just do the best you can, but DO SOMETHING, and do it NOW. You can be SURE of a panic after mid-December... (BTW, NBC's airing a Y2K disaster movie on Nov 21st. Any bets what'll happen after that?)

Bottom line: we're all in this together, and our families depend on us to DO WHAT'S BEST FOR THEIR WELLBEING. I couldn't live with myself if I let them starve/freeze because I CHOSE to do nothing, when the information was all around me for the reading.

You know?

Dennis

56 days remain. Get ready. Prepare. Something's going to happen...

Dennis, that generator and the propane tank sound like a good idea in your neck-of-the-woods in any case. When I moved back to hurricane country 3 years ago, I picked up a small 4400W genny, a couple of 5 gallon and 5 2-1/2 gallon gas containers myself. I've got it figured that it should be enough to keep food in the freezer and refrigerator from spoiling for 5 or 6 days, run the small TV a few hours, and maybe do a load or 2 of clothes. We keep plenty of candles and couple of lanterns around, as Houston has a lot of thunderstorms were you get short power outtages. The hurricanes and storms teach you to have a few weeks supply of canned goods on hand as well. Ditto on several gallons of bottled water. I keep 2 spare propane bottles for the gas grill (yes, we can grill outside during the winter here).

Got the fireplace and a kerosene heater that I used to heat my workshop with back in west Texas. The heater burns about 10 hours on high on less than 2 gallons of kerosene. Fireplace has gas logs now, but can be moved out. I live in a suburb NW of Houston, small lot but densely wooded, I could sure sacrifice an oak if necessary.

Ammunition? If I didn't have at least 5000 rounds anyway I'd be ashamed to wear the title of certified gun nut :) . Still working on getting the loading bench set up. Guns? You can't have enough anyway. I have a small but fairly representative collection, the biggest lack is a modern large-bore (.338 or greater) rifle.

We don't have basements here. A good tropical depression would turn one into a dark, dirty, indoor wading pool.

The night vision apparatus sounds neat, and there's a lot of other applications for something like that. Hope you're able to pick some up reasonably.

So I'd say if what you are talking about is being reasonably prepared as I would be for any emergency, okay, I can afford that. I'd also say I can't afford not to be prepared.

At the last minute (your determination), fill the bathtub with water. Use it for toilet flushes, if nothing else.

A few 2-liter soda bottles filled with water in the fridge just as an extra.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

I'm kinda curious which Ford's may stop running come Jan 1? Also, and this isn't really Y2K related... I heard awhile back that every car in the US has a chip in it that will shut the car off, and the only people with the "remote" are in WashDC? Is this bull? -Kframe

Kframe,

That all sounds like Urban Legend to me. I seriously doubt that cars will stop running. There MIGHT be a few isolated exceptions, but I still doubt it. Getting GASOLINE may well become interesting, hoever.
Dennis

KAM good point but have to get 22 rifle first been too busy buying 308 and 12ga have about 500 slugs thats a lot of red lights! How bout a grappling hook thrown by a buddy off the back of 4x4 to light pole? Maybe I saw that Abrams chase one to many times?

Hey ya all if we play MAD MAX Janet el Reno can play the HUMONGOUS, AND SLICK CAN PLAY THE RED HAIRED MOHAWK MOTORCYCLE MAN WITH HIS BITCH ON THE BACK, WELL LET BRUCE FROM WEST OZ PLAY MAX. I'll be the Queensland heeler. Who do you want to be KAM?

As far away from the nasties as I can get... :-)

As far as the automobile makers are concerned I've looked at the top 3 US makers Y2K statements and they say the same drivel as everyone else. "Most products will not have any problems what-so-ever" The un-said truth, we couldn't test everything and things are always different in the field so individual milage may vary.

------------------
Peace through superior firepower...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

Here’s a recap of what we have so far:

- Battery powered Carbon Monoxide detectors with noisy alarms. One in
the same room as any indoor fire (BBQ, gas stove, etc.) and one next to
where we sleep.

- Batteries for everything battery-driven: flashlights, clocks, smoke
detectors, blood-pressure monitors, etc.

- Battery powered emergency lights, with noisy alarms to wake us up if the
power goes out. This would be our tip-off to fill the bathtubs with water for
toilet flushing as mentioned earlier. Oh, I also made sure I have a caulking
gun to seal around the one bathtub plug that doesn't seal properly.

- We have regular candles of course, but we also have a couple little
battery-powered Christmas candles that would make a good night light -
especially for my 87 y/o Mom or for my kids. A couple AA batteries last
nearly a week. (I don't want candles burning if we could fall asleep...)

- Several old-fashioned kerosene lamps (with lots of extra fuel) for light in
the evening.

- Two large fire extinguishers and several smaller ones. If the fire department can't get fuel, water, or people to work....

- A two-burner camp stove with extra fuel - enough for several months of
cooking and (if absolutely necessary) even a bit of heat.

- We have firewood set aside for cooking outside over an open fire. (The
woodpile is next to the Rottweiler's house! ;)) We even have some
long-handled sandwich grill thingies (I don't know what they're called) that
we've always enjoyed while camping.

Put a slice of bread in each side, put your favorite filling (eg. cheese, meat
and cheese, cherry pie-filling or whatever) on one slice. Then put the two
sides of the "thingie" together and heat it over the fire. Makes "pop-overs".
:D As you gather, I don't know what to call the danged things but the
pop-overs are fun to make, taste good, and are good FOR you TOO! (Sounds
like a cereal commercial...)

- We've put up extra food, drinks, toilet articles (toothpaste, hair spray,
shaving supplies for everyone, etc.) and paper supplies (toilet paper, paper
towels, Kleenex, personal products, etc.) for use and for trading in case any
problem lasts for a while or the kids come home and need supplies. (Are
you ready to support/supply unexpected relatives or friends? In unity there
is strength!) We don’t have house cats so we don’t have to worry about
kitty litter (phew!) but we’re setting aside a couple 40 pound bags of dog
food for our 170+ lb Rotty. When that’s gone we’ll feed him neighbor kids,
er, venison. I mean venison.

- The drinks we've set aside include soft drinks, fruit juices, home-made
water jugs and just maybe a li'l ole jug of Wild Turkey! (Man does not live
by bread alone!) We’ve put up some chocolates and other candies as treats
for times when spirits might be low. Oh, and a couple of “treats” for the
puppy, too.

- We have stacks and boxes full of magazines and books to read during
daylight hours. We have cards and other games to play by candlelight. We
enjoy each other’s company and are not the frantic “gotta be doing
something” types. We’d enjoy going up on the roof and watch the sun set
in the evenings. (Good view of our perimeter.)

- If we can't go to work and earn money, then there probably would not be
any place to spend the money anyway. If the banks can't function, the
problem will be so wide-spread that the mortgage company will have a lot
more to worry about than our $284.43 each month! :D

- If the bank "loses track" of my money, I'll have my printed bank
statements to help them "recover" my records during “recovery”.

- One concern is adequate prescription medications - and we're taking
steps to maintain more than 2 months supply on hand. (Without her meds,
Mom wouldn’t last a week!) We already put aside extra heartworm pills and
flea medication for the puppy. After all, he’s family too!

- We’ve stockpiled emergency medical supplies. I’m an EMT so I’ve just
increased my “kits”. I've included some sutures that were, um, "liberated" from the Emegency Department. (Don't ask! ;))

- We live in a semi-rural bedroom community. I don't expect civil unrest
on any notable scale (but I've set aside some things for that ;)). Barring
medical emergencies, I believe we could be self-sufficient (even if the kids
return home) for about two months with our current stockpile. If a
“blackout” lasts more than a couple days, we’ll begin “harvesting” some of
the local deer (over)population - then we can last for many months.

- Everybody in my family can handle firearms - even my mother. (grin)
Problem is she’s legally blind so we don’t let her practice much! ;) If “they”
come at us, they’d better be good.

- Some folks are setting aside a lot of fishing supplies. I’m not. I want to
keep us all here at the house rather than scattered and vulnerable.
Besides, if we want fish, we have supplies to trade.

- Extended severe cold (below freezing for more than three or four days)
could make us uncomfortable but we can cope with it. (We have quilts,
sleeping bags, and Yankee-style clothing for emergencies! :D ) We’ve set
aside an extra bale of hay for the dog’s house in case of extreme cold.
Frankly, we figure loss of utilities here in the relatively warm South would
be a lot like camping - only with a big, strong tent! :D

- I think that’s about it! If anyone sees gaps in my “plan”, I’d appreciate
any tips or suggestions! (Better now than when it’s too late!)

You mean everything's not going to be Otay?! *Sniff* *Bwaaaa-aaahhh!!!*

Welp, at least my Colts are Y2K compliant ;) !

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back