Why Won't My Bowling Pins Fall Over ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you ever get the chance try a .50 Linebaugh on pins, it will do more than knock them down

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best

Pete, sorry, but you are technically incorrect. As Mike H pointed out, the hi-vel 9mm bullets in question probably do have more kinetic energy than the .45 bullets in question - not by much, but a little - all assuming the 210 loads are not atypical velocities. There is an indisputable formula to calculate this (E=grains*(vel^2/450000), I believe. For example, if the +P 115 grainers are traveling at 1200 fps, that's energy of 368 ft-lbs; whereas a 210 grainer traveling 850fps results in energy of 337 ft.-lbs. Power or momentum is another formula entirely, which would show the 45 with the advantage over the 9mm).

So, the answer must indeed lie in the amount of that energy actually transferred, due to ricochet effect, etc. If the 210 gr .45s are lead, they are softer and therefore "smush" more on impact, thereby transferring much more energy before ricocheting, relative to the harder jacketed bullets.

Too much talk of velocity and kinetic energy, it never killed anything. Only two constants in comparison, bullet diameter and weight. End of story.

Well almost, buy that big drainpipe.

WHEN in the course of human Events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve-- YOU KNOW THE REST!

And now for the rest of the story (with apologies to Paul Harvey). oberkommando, how many bowling pins will you knock over with a .50 BMG bullet going 0 fps? Velocity certainly does matter.

In simple terms:

1. If bullet is too fast, it WILL
penetrate a pin completely, also fast, and
pin will not fall or fall real "slow".
Weight and bullet dimeter DO not matter.
Test: Take sharp Japanese sword and
slice the pin at a speed of the bullet -
it will cut it in half and pin will not fall.

2. If bullet is too slow, than weight of
bullet DO matter. Test: take a Japanese sharp sword (which is heavy enough) and
slightly hit a pin - it will fall.

3. Do #2 again but with scalpel (much
lighter than sword). Pin will not fall.

Conclusion is simple: use bullets that
are NOT fast and relatively heavy, whatever
caliber is suited for this purpose the best.

Conclusion: pin will fall when

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back