Why - WHY did I buy a Henry Mare's Leg in .22 mag?

Yep, that's the question - WHY did I buy a Henry Mare's Leg in .22 mag, with large loop and saddle ring?

I mean, other than the fact that I love the .22 mag round, got a fairly good deal on a private-sale NIB one, and watched a lot of Westerns as a kid?

What draws me to this? I won't spend the $200 to SBR it, and I can't shoulder it really - it would have to have a minimum of two more inches of stock.

That's my only gun weakness left - rimfires.

But it's just cool. Just need to think of a use for it. Backpack rifle - I mean, "handgun", or something... :)

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/mares-leg/

henry_mares_leg-22.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

You bought it for the same reason I bought a 1911 this week. I bought it because I always wanted one. I don't need it for any reason but at 68, we buy things we've always wanted just because we can before we die.

So you can pretend you're Steve McQueen.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

They don't seem very practical, do they?

No..no they don't.

We all need to push Congress to take suppressors and SBRs out of the NFA.

I guess some people might consider this an archery hunting "sidearm" for squirrels, rabbits, grouse, etc.

So are there holsters made for it?

Last edited:
Well, .22 mag or whatever, you MUST WEAR a belt with loops containing either
.30-30 rounds or .45-70 rounds. That's just part of the very cool factor that cannot be ignored. :)

I've bought several guns on the spur of the moment thinking I really wanted them. Most stay less than a year before going back to the LGS as trade-ins for something more practical. A mares leg has not be amongst them.

I have a 22LR version. It is fun to play around with. Might make a reasonable "survival" gun.

So are there holsters made for it?

Of course. You just have to look around a bit. As I recall, Henry sells one but it has been a while since I went to their website.

How would the stock length work for teaching a little one to shoot? When my son was a baby I picked up a Winchester 67 youth rifle, short little thing.

Keep it handy when watching the western channel (unloaded of course). You never know when Matt, or Wyatt, or Josh will need some help.

I have always thought that these lever action pistols ranked right up there with the 45/410 revolvers as just about the most useless things ever invented. Making one in 22 Magnum exceeds expectations on uselessness.

Well, after trying it both ways, I've determined that with a mare's leg, it is better to shoot holding the tiny buttstock up against cheek, held out from the shoulder, rather than trying to pull it all the way to the shoulder - the latter can be done but it's slower to get a sight picture and more awkward - and only marginally more stable, if any. Does this mirror y'alls' experience?

Well, after trying it both ways, I've determined that with a mare's leg, it is better to shoot holding the tiny buttstock up against cheek, held out from the shoulder, rather than trying to pull it all the way to the shoulder - the latter can be done but it's slower to get a sight picture and more awkward - and only marginally more stable, if any. Does this mirror y'alls' experience?

That is how I have seen most people do it on the youtubes.

I know there is a lot of dislike out there for these guns, but I have to say that I like 'em. I would like to get one in .357, personally. That 12" barrel would make it a good option for deer, I think. Plenty of folks use .357 revolvers for that task, so the extra velocity and longer sight radius would make it even better.

Back