Why Wasn't the Winchester Stealth Popular?

I bought mine from buds and at the time they'd already been taken off the winchester website. One of the individuals who tried buying it off me actually bought his own from buds immediately after leaving the range. I met another individual when attending a class in montana who also had a stealth, a CRF model like mine. They're fantastic, I love Mauser actions and personally think the Model 70 is the pinnacle of bolt gun design. Mine wears a McMillan A3 now but other than that is the same as the day I purchased it.

I'm guessing 2 things did these in. First they were produced in New Haven by US Repeating Arms and they were to specialized. This is not a rifle I would want to carry all day.

But for shooting at long distances it does shine.

Why Wasn't the Winchester Stealth Popular?
It was about as popular as anything else Winchester made at the time. You are talking about the days when Winchester changed its product line every time the wind changed directions.

Mine, as well as the two others I mentioned were actually made after FN took over. Of course damage was probably done by then. My version is essentially the SPR with a different trigger and no chrome lining.

I remember being warned about quality before I ordered mine. And I thought about it some. But, all I've ever owned were 700s and 70's, and I'd never had a bad one of either. I have owned 2 Savage rifles but had problems with both. My Stealth has been a great gun to shoot and has never had any kind of problem, excellent quality.

As much as I hate to say it I do prefer the push feed for 90% of my shooting because I don't have to put a round in the magazine in order for it to feed. I do own a FW with CRF and like it but I don't really have a preference for one over the other.

I did have concerns with the 1:12 twist, but it shoots the Berger 185 gr VLD fine.

I believe commercial CRF rifles are made so the extractor will in fact slide over the rim when chambering it. I also have a 30-06 on a 1903 Springfield and it' CRF and will closed on a round in the chamber. BTW, I just tried my mod 70 and you can drop a round in the chamber and the bolt will close on it and then eject it.

As much as I hate to say it I do prefer the push feed for 90% of my shooting because I don't have to put a round in the magazine in order for it to feed.
I have never seen a controlled feed civilian market Win 70 that would not pick up a round in the chamber. They don't have to be magazine loaded.

Lets of competition out there, a lot of $300-$400 guns every one is getting in the game, some are real good guns like the savage and Ruger !!!

Back