• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

why troll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.

If people are joining to be willful trolls, no rules, admonitions, stickeys, etc., are going to stop them.

Just like no law is going to stop a criminal from committing a criminal act. Most times a new member's nature will show from the outset. If it shows troll, we'll deal with that person quickly.

Sometimes, though, otherwise good natured members will start sniping at each other.

That's when a moderator will step in and tell them in a very pointed fashion to knock it off. If the exchange was egregious enough, sanctions may be levied.

But, it's pretty much impossible for the moderators here to maintain a constant watch on the boards, every forum, every post, to make sure things aren't spiraling out of control.

We do our best, but we also have lives to which we have to attend. And that's why there's a "report post" button.

Mike... Your wisdom and that of others on this forum reminds me of the Mods on TheHighRoad. I have the greatest respect for those folks on THR, BTW.

Sometimes, though, otherwise good natured members will start sniping at each other.

agreed. I wont say that I've never gotten defensive on a topic and started shooting from the hip because I have, but it just seems like some are more prone to make snide remarks from the get-go and even if some members try to de-escalate the situation they just keep going and almost intentionally rile and goad members into heated exchanges

I think that the anonymity of the internet gives some more courage to be provocative in their responses and others a pltaform from which they can ponitificate to others, playing the expert, with relative impunity.

Don't get me wrong most people on the forums I frequent are very pleasant to interact with, but there will always be a bad apple here and there. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that many feel the internet gives them free reign to be disrespectful to others or to somehow get an ego boost by being beligerent....

What can you do?
"There's nowt so queer as folk...."

"but it just seems like some are more prone to make snide remarks from the get-go and even if some members try to de-escalate the situation they just keep going and almost intentionally rile and goad members into heated exchanges"

The patterns of human nature that you see in your face to face life are going to be pretty much the same patterns of human nature that you'll see in your online life.

internet better

I can be successfully hard of hearing on the 'net, but in real life some people get upset with my hearing loss.

If you remember only one thing about people, remember this;

50% of the population is below average intelligence... it's a mathematical fact :eek:

50% of the population is below average intelligence... it's a mathematical fact

I've always considered myself a part of that 50% but for some reason my test scores usually place me in the top 75%....this is why I hate math:)

I've always considered myself a part of that 50% but for some reason my test scores usually place me in the top 75%....this is why I hate math

I've always considered myself a part of that 50% too.. and my test scores show it...this is why I hate math:o

I think we've sufficiently discussed and answered the original question, not much point in continuing further.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back