Why the difference?

The last deer I shot with a 44 mag ran off without a blood trail. Looked for hours and hours. I hit it right in the shoulder with an XTP that clearly I had under powered.

Kind of in line with the above, JHPs are designed to open fast. Probably not the best bullet for deer hunting. I would try a JSP.

240gr JHP .44Mag slugs are not quite the same, and not (usually) made with use against humans in mind. They do open faster than the JSP, for sure, but not to the kind of degree you find in a .38/9mm cal JHP.

My experience has been that for the most part, handgun bullets are made for a specific purpose and made to perform terminally at specific velocities. There are JHPs in .357 intended for high velocity hunting loads that will not expand as much, nor as fast as some JSPs. Same goes for .44 mag. How the bullet is constructed(i.e. jacket thickness and hardness of core lead) makes as much of a difference than type(i.e. JHP vs JSP). For the most part, when it comes to a hunting bullet, you want the best of both worlds....penetration and expansion. For SD, you want something that will expand and not over penetrate and you are using it against an animal that is thin skinned and normally do not have to shoot thru the shoulders to get to the boiler room. More important than what type of bullet, is using the right bullet for the job. Know what the intended purpose is for the bullet you are using and know what velocities it is intended to be shot at. The 240 gr XTP is a great hunting bullet when used on deer sized game and shot from a handgun. Shoot it out of a carbine and it is a tad more fragile. The first comment quoted in this post tells a tale.....using it a a velocity below it's intended use probably turned it into a FMJ projectile without enough velocity to penetrate and/or expand. Projectiles that work so well outta a .45 colt @ 1100 FPS on deer, blow up upon impact when shot from a .460. I have found bullet manufacturers to be very responsive to inquiries about appropriate applications for their bullets. Have had more than one tell me that I should go another direction. If you have questions, ask, don't just make the assumption that just because it's a JHP, that it is not appropriate for deer and you need to use something else.

A lot of years ago being a teenager with very little money and deer on the farm i went cheap . I bought a Springfield 03A3 for $29.95 from a surplus store also some 30-06 Ball ammo . I would snip a little off the end of the bullet and did kill some deer . The good old days today people think you need a $1,000.00 Rifle with a $600.oo Scope and 40.00 box of ammo to kill a deer . Damm i guess I do ?

I'm not an expert,but here goes.The rules that apply to centerfire rifle hunting don't apply to black powder level 45-70 loads.muzzle loaders,and heavy caliber handguns.
Cast bullets of large caliber are fine.I want a bullet that will not fragment Through penetration is good. Using most centerfire rifle cartidges,I like broadside,through the ribs,just behind the foreleg. Souping the heart/lung area without hitting major bone makes for quick kill without blowing the meat all to heck.

You can eat right up to the bullet hole with fat,heavy,handgun velocity bullets.

Its OK to bust the junction of the spine and shoulders Go for orthopedic damage more than soft tissue damage. You can use a 240 jsp,but a 240 gr Keith works. Wheel weights.

I had one elk experience with my .44 SBH. It was a 240 gr JSP..but I can't say for sure which.I suspect it may have been the Remington with the thin salloped jacket. The elk dropped DRT, neck shot ,base of the neck.The bullet broke vertebrae,but the vertebrae broke up the bullet and stopped it.

Bullet cornfakes don't penetrate well. I got just over maybe 60% penetration.on the neck. Neck is muscle,bone,and sinew. A rib shot is a lot about spongy lungs. Its a different resistance.

I don't doubt a 240 gr .44 bullet wil penetrate through,if properly constructed.
I bought 500 Laser Cast 300 gr Truncated cone. I don't recall exact vel. Over 1200. I thought they were fun to shoot. Flyng hammers.It bounced,but it didn't hurt I never shot game with them..but I wuld

Back