Why the Accu-trigger blade?

ds-10-speed

I have a Savage with the Accu-trigger blade. It's not a safety, you can still fire the gun without pulling the blade, it just gets in the way when putting your finger in the trigger guard, whats the point?

Am I missing something or is it supposed to be a mental thing, I'm getting closer, getting closer, getting closer to a regular trigger pull. I think I know when my other guns without one are going to fire.

OdEHHWf.jpg

The rifle will not fire without the blade held to the trigger face. If you look at the trigger/seat, it is clear that the sear falls to the blade, unless the blade is held back. It is one of the safest rifle trigger designs.

Before I posted the first thread I went and pulled the trigger without pulling the blade and it fired, so for my gun anyway it is not true that it will not fire until the blade is flush. It would make sense if that was the purpose but obviously it is not.

That is not a factory Savage Accu-Trigger. I've never seen one with a trigger that shape.
I've got 5 Savage rifles with the Accu-Trigger,and none of them look like that.

Last edited:
I stand corrected, I first pulled the trigger without a round in it and it snapped, I assumed it fired. I just put in a fired round and it didn't impact the brass without the blade pulled back. Thanks for the correction in understanding the operation, the manual never mentioned it.

It is a Savage .17 WSM stock trigger, I bought the gun new.

That actually explains why it didn't fire one time when I didn't have my finger all the way in, it just clicked. It's going to be a real problem with gloves.

Last edited:
With the trigger adjusted very light it would be possible for inertia to pull the trigger and fire the round in chamber the if the firearm is dropped on the butt. Having the trigger blade prevents the trigger from moving unless someone has depressed the blade far enough. The blade on Glocks and the hinged triggers in M&P pistols serve the same purpose. It is a form of a drop safety.

To a lesser extent it also prevents the trigger from being pulled inadvertently while handling the gun. To fire the gun the user has to have full control of the gun with the trigger finger correctly placed on the trigger.

It isn't a bad idea, especially if one wants to adjust a trigger down under 3 lbs. I don't like the one on a Savage as well as others since it is possible to pull the trigger with a finger just on the side of the trigger and without pressing the blade in. The firing pin releases, but a firing pin block prevents it from detonating the cartridge. All of the other designs I'm aware of simply won't allow you to pull the trigger.

That is a B.mag, I believe. The trigger is likely different than normal Accutriggers, since the B.mag is was a stupid cost-cutting design that never should have made it past a person with common sense. Also, it is cock-on-closing.

This was obviously my first gun with a trigger blade and a poor example at that, my gun collecting started over 50 years ago before these things were made.

Next time I buy a bladed trigger gun I would prefer one that stops the trigger from being pulled rather than just blocking the hammer/firing pin, that makes more sense. I can see me getting misfires with mine during the winter when wearing gloves.

Before I posted the first thread I went and pulled the trigger without pulling the blade and it fired,
No, it did not fire. You heard the sound of the sear falling onto the accutrigger blade. Yes, it went "CLICK", but the rifle would not have fired if it had a round in it. I am not a fan of Savage rifles, but the accutrigger is actually a pretty good system for a production rifle. Relatively idiot resistant.

No, it did not fire. You heard the sound of the sear falling onto the accutrigger blade. Yes, it went "CLICK", but the rifle would not have fired if it had a round in it. I am not a fan of Savage rifles, but the accutrigger is actually a pretty good system for a production rifle. Relatively idiot resistant.
I did discover that, read post #8.

The Accutriggers on my Savage rifles can be annoying as sometimes my index finger doesn't depress the blade properly and the firing pin doesn't fire. That requires working the bolt to reset the trigger. Replacing them with aftermarket triggers like Timney has crossed my mind many times. The best trigger I ever came across was a Timney I installed on a Remington SPS. That was one sweet unit.

The Accu-trigger is sensitive to side pressure - a design feature to keep a cocked rifle from firing if it is dropped or hit from the side.

If you have your trigger adjusted to reduce the trigger pull pressure, the Accu-trigger becomes more sensitive to side pressure as well.
Light trigger settings require the shooter to properly put pressure on the trigger and not press it from the side. You can't just jam your finger on the blade from the side.
If you get within 6 oz of the minimum setting, you may find that the trigger becomes very sensitive to pressure on the side of the blade and even a hard bolt closure and it can lock the sear.

Even a trigger set to the lightest pressure will operate if you get your trigger finger correctly placed and pull back straight.

The Accutriggers on my Savage rifles can be annoying as sometimes my index finger doesn't depress the blade properly and the firing pin doesn't fire. That requires working the bolt to reset the trigger. Replacing them with aftermarket triggers like Timney has crossed my mind many times. The best trigger I ever came across was a Timney I installed on a Remington SPS. That was one sweet unit.
On my 12FV I replaced the a accutrigger with a Timney and proceeded to adjust it as light as I could. This caused it to discharge a couple times when closing the bolt, not good. To overcome this I added a little more tension and added just a bit of creep, neither of these adjustments really affected the trigger pull to the point of ruining it, but it did eliminate the tendency to fire upon closing the bolt too hard. To be honest if I had to do it again, I’d just replace the spring in the accutrigger with the one for their target version and save my money on the Timney, it’s really no better and possibly more dangerous. But since I’ve already spent the money I’ll just let it be.

Timney and proceeded to adjust it as light as I could. This caused it to discharge a couple times when closing the bolt, not good.
Been there, done that too.:eek: Accutriggers have always been rock-solid performers for me, though I have once or twice received them where they couldn't be adjusted as low as they advertised in triggerpull without some additional work.

Now that I have and understanding of how that trigger blade works by preventing the gun from firing, I've always been taught to use something called a "Safety" to do that. How does it make the gun more "Accu" rate? Does it allow for a lighter trigger pull setting? I've been a DA revolver shooter for almost 50 years so any trigger less than 10 lbs is nothing to me. The Winchester XPR .350 Legend I just bought doesn't have a blade and has the best trigger feel of all my guns, it's factory set at 3 1/2 lbs, adjustable from 3 to 5 and has a trigger stop adjustment. For the hunting and shooting that I do I don't see any advantage for a bladed trigger, just possibly causing problems.

Last edited:
Back