Why oh why did I just buy this SP101?

I have guns that seemed like a good idea at the time but which just sit in the safe. Some have had significant gunsmithing investments. I will be selling some guns and looking for justifications for keeping any others. In this case, if I had done such a deal, I would probably come out ahead reselling it.

It woulda made more sense to me if the barrel was 3" not closer to 2", but I don't think you got hurt. For one thing, no Ruger I've ever shot has ever been less tough than an Abrams TANK. So if you want to use "unusually energetic" .38 Special rounds in it, the revolver won't quit.

Triggers get smoother over time and can be made smoother still, by a competent gunsmith. Anything else you might imagine is "wrong" with the piece can either be modified, or tolerated as you put more rounds through it.

You made a VERY good purchase! I have one, and I would never get rid of it. I think 357 is too much in a snubby and i would never shoot anything more than 38+P in mine...Just 38 is enough and will do the job.

I really liked my sp101 in 2.25" but I felt it was too short to handle 357 comfortably. Durability wise it certainly had no problem compared to my charter arms which was cheaply made compared to ruger. The recoil was still pretty intense with my sp when I shot 125 grain 357 out of it. However it
s built extremely well. I'm personally just not a fan of regular 38 special I like something bigger bore or higher velocity like the 357. I thought mine shot fine in DA which is how I'd shoot it for the most part especially in a defense situation. I'm highly considering a new one in 3" because I liked the feel so much. But on the fence. Its a very well made revolver though.

ninex19,
I also think you got a great buy. I too have the SP101 2.25" but in a 357
mag and also had trigger problems in DA.
I sent it back to Ruger & they
worked on the DA to within their published tolerance which really made a big difference.
Enjoy your acquisition & post back in a few months after you've put 500 to 1,000
rounds through it.

Getting a good deal on a gun is NEVER a bad thing. You can shoot it, train with it, work it into your rotation, etc. Then, if you see it sitting idol in the safe trade/sell for the next trial gun! Usually, sell price is close, if you are getting into them right and not tearing them up...

I had an sp101 but my only issue with it was I didn't like that it had a tang grip, not a full grip handle like s&w, that struck me as cheap, and also the resale for it was very poor. It was in excellent condition, yet it only sold for a fraction of what I paid for it. That being said, aside from not liking their grips, the rather stiff hammer, and the low resale value, they're excellent revolvers. Very well made, light years ahead of a taurus or charter arms. They'd last a lifetime and take magnum loads with no issue. I'm just more a Smith guy.

Is the .38 SP101 really a different frame/cylinder (shorter?), or is it just a normal .357 with .38 engravings? I can't imagine Ruger making a whole different gun.

The SP101 is such a hoss, I would bet it could shoot anything you fed it.

I know that this thread is 10 months old and someone bumped it to the top of the pile.... but.....

I would have bought that .38 SP for $260 OTD in a heartbeat. I own a SP101 from 1991 (4" 22LR) and a SP101 from 2013 (2.25" .357). The build quality is much better on the older gun in fit, finish and materials (trigger and hammer are not MIM on the older model).

I like the newer one as well, but that old one is nicer.

Back