why not call the wife or family member?

You do 3 things when the cops get there:

Identify yourself
Demand your attorneys presence
Keep your D@mn mouth shut.

You don't have to impress the cops withanything othere htna the fact you are not a threat to them.

The preosecutor makes the calls on how it's handled and he won't see you before he decides.

sam

Sam

I see dead people.

1) CALL THE POLICE...very, very important to call the police first after a shooting. Doing anything else might put questions in a jury's mind. What if the guy is still alive and can be brought back with timely 911 medical response, but instead dies because you wanted to call mommy & daddy first. Do you want to go to jail or lose all your money in a civil case? I think its a duty of all CCW holder to call 911 if they discharge their weapon in self defense. Hit or Miss.

2) With the exception of my father, who has seen a lot of dead people in the Vietnam war, I would not want to do that to my family. I have hunted a lot so I seen and killed a lot of animals, but a human is completely different. I have seen about 3 dead bodies, in the flesh, up close and personal, and 1 died violently. When I was in my 20's I stopped to help after seeing a wicked car crash and looked in one car that sideswipped a concrete divider to find a 30 something year old lady dead, the top, left hand side of her skull was torn open. You see it is not something you can "Un-see" or forget about. That is why I get so PO'ed with these lilly white gun forum guys trying to a bloodlusting rambos. Killing and death is some hard stuff, so why put a loved one through it.

Calling a friend may not be such a good idea either.
They can be compelled to testify, and their memory may not match yours.
The only person with pretty much blanket immunity form compelled testimony is your attorney.

The only person with pretty much blanket immunity form compelled testimony is your attorney.
Which is why you need an attorney. If you have to call someone else, it should only be so they can track down an attorney for you.

I really doubt it. Look very carefully into the case law in your state and you will probably see a collection of decisions that try to draw a line between justifiable & excusable homicide and outright murder (of some degree). The names for the defense cases vary form state to state, but in every state killing in self defense is an affirmative defense.

Right - and Texas has one of the most successful CHL programs in the country. With ZERO negative case law. So maybe we're doing something right over here.
The Texas DPS (who runs the CHL program) advises its CHL instructors to inform their students that while it is wise to contact an attorney immediately that it is also beneficial to give a very brief summary of the situation to the police on scene.

Take that for what it's worth. Not every state is the same, not every county is the same, not every city is the same, not every DA is the same, and not every cop is the same. Do what's right for you.

Bottom line is that this isn't going to be resolved on an internet chat room. There's plenty of reasonable advice in this thread on both sides of the argument, but there's also plenty of BS. Ultimately its going to be up to the individual in each situation to decide what to do - either way you're going to have a rough time of it.

I think we can all agree that if you're going to have a third party do your talking it's in your best interests to have that third party be an attorney. Period. Moral support is one thing, talking to the police is another.

This discussion has ceased to produce new input or fresh arguments on either side so let's just let this one die with what dignity it has left.

I am somewhat concerned that taking that stance makes the police feel you have something to hide or that you are the guilty party.
If they feel that way they're being hypocritical. Most LEOs are given exactly the same advice by their department. After a shooting, shut up, lawyer up.

Remember, in a typical self-defense shooting, the threat is over by the time you call the cops. That means that they are NOT coming to the scene to HELP you. So, ask yourself, WHY ARE THEY THERE? Once the reality of the situation dawns, your course of action is clear.

OK so now you guys are turning me back to my original STFU theory.

I am somewhat concerned that taking that stance makes the police feel you have something to hide or that you are the guilty party.
No my concern. Cops are going to think what they think based on the evidence.
My words have just as much ability to impact their opinion as my silence does, maybe more.

ok I see where everone is coming from. In my case my family are my friends and the only people I would trust to help me out in a case like that. I not saying that they are going to be able to tell the officers what happened. Only I can tell them that. I just saying that they would be there to help me if I was unable to do so. Like giving the officers personal info, name address, phone number, things of that nature. To make sure I get home alright and let other family know. As for telling to officers what happened I would go to a laywer for that stuff.

You give them your DL and they can figure out pretty much everything else. You don't need a family member or friend to do that. If you can call a family member, then you have the ability to give that number to the cops if they need it.

As for getting home alright, what makes you think you are going home right away? If you need a ride, the officers will call for you or let you call, AFTER they are done with you.

Again. CALL YOUR ATTORNEY.

It really is not that hard to do.

Cops are used to this. they do not think you are hiding anything. They are going to say, this is a person who in midst of being really, really shook up, was able to function enough to do the right thing.

IF ANY COP TELLS YOU YOU DO NOT NEED AN ATTORNEY< JUST TALK TO HIM AND THEY WILL MAKE IT RIGHT< THEY ARE LYING!!!! PERIOD.

It is what they are told to do, to get the most info out of you while you are in a form of shock. get you to blab you need to say nothing.

IF ANY COP TELLS YOU YOU DO NOT NEED AN ATTORNEY< JUST TALK TO HIM AND THEY WILL MAKE IT RIGHT< THEY ARE LYING!!!! PERIOD.

It is what they are told to do, to get the most info out of you while you are in a form of shock. get you to blab you need to say nothing.
Here it is in a nutshell. If you're involved in a shooting, SOP is to read you your rights under Miranda, you know, the right to remain silent, before we ask you any questions pertaining to your involvement in the shooting. By law, we are not permitted to continue questioning you if you invoke those rights.

However, if we arrive on scene and you're blabbing your head off about what happened, we're under no obligation to tell you to shut up, and everything you say is admissible in a court of law. That is why a lot of officers will wait before questioning you, so that they don't have to read Miranda, and the longer we wait, the greater chance you're going to blab.

The posts here advocating calling an attorney first are correct.

An officer telling you that you don't need an attorney is not only unethical, he's in violation of the law as well, and I would personally castrate any of my people that did so :mad: .

Actually, it is legally impossible for the police to lie to a peon, because when they don't tell you the truth it's not called lying. It's called permissible deception and they can tell you almost anything to get you to run your mouth or confess. ("If it was an accident the DA will understand." yatta yatta) The DA here in Tarrant county TX told the cops to ignore the new definition of carrying while traveling and arrest anyone who has a gun and no CHL. The cops take their marching orders from the Persecuting Shyster's Office, not from the peons or the legislature. I'm not sure I should even admit to shooting the assailant or say anything beyond "I was in fear for my life and escape was not feasible."

sounds like people like me ( moved to a new state and dont really know anyone besides the family) needs to find an lawyer to call on..
i do have a few friends but noone i would call a true bro yet.. left all thoughs behind...
time will tell on the new people... a lawyer is always a lawyer i guess, just need to get a good one.

Look in the paper and see who has defended police officers if they have had a shooting that has gone to the DA. Cops know which guys they do not want to face in court and who they want on their side when they need one. Otherwise just look at who does the bigger cases on the news.

usually in every market, there is one Criminal defense Lawyer who stands out.

I would also consider researching a GP attorney before you need one. I found mine thru the local builders assoc. He does mainly real estate and transaction work, but he has put me on to those who specialize in areas that I have needed. IF you find one you can trust, they are worth their weight in gold. He told me who to contact re: criminal defense and made sure I was known to that atty as a good guy. That makes me sure that IF something happens at 2 am, someone is going to answer the phone when I call him.

People always whine about the cost of lawyers, I will tell you they have been far cheaper to have them than to not.

When things go south, and your paperwork, legal standing, and position are solid, Life is much easier.

This is settled.

Capt Charlie , an actual officer has answered this thread. There should be no more specualtion on this issue. As on tv "Lawyer Up", that's the only advice.

Thank you Capt. Charlie.

Find a Lawyer

Back