Why no Winchesters?

You don't hear about Winchesters in relation to selfdefense because Winchester quit making the Model 12. I had a Model 12 riot gun for a while in Viet Nam. I did not feel unarmed in any way.

An earlier post mentioned the 97. That one works too!

Dave T

I had a 1300 Defender, and I liked it. It was light, quick-handling, and had a really slick action, but my 10-year-old Mossberg 500 seems to be a bit more versatile for my purposes.

------------------
¡Viva la RKBA!
Bulldawg: NRA, GOA, TSRA, Shiner Bock Connoisseur.
Bulldawg's Firearms Page

Have used a Black Shadow Turkey for trap and like it a lot. I think the one difference is that to take off the forend on the 1300 you have to remove the trigger assembly assembly first. On the Rem you just reach in there with your finger and push in the slide latch and the bolt comes out and forend slides out. I like the Win 1300 action. To me it is beautiful and elegant, the Rem is nice too, Mossberg doesn't rate in comparison.

Well, probably price is the reason you see more Rems than Wins. But probably Win 1300s outsell Wingmasters.

I don't recall the source, but I remember that the 870 is the shotgun most units of have been produced. Others in the top 5 were the Ithaca 37, Winchesters 97 and 12, and the nigh infinite number of variations of the old H&R single bbl now made and sold by NEF.

I've got a 1300 as well, and really love it. If you'll remember a line of posts not too long ago about a shell being able to be "shaken" out when the shotgun is held on its right side? A couple of guys said, and I have gound this to be true with mine as well that the 1300 held on to the shell being chambered. I couldn't shake it out at all. This is another good point about the 1300!

Dave, I agree with you about the Winchester 1897 Pump. I do have an Ithaca 37 deerslayer(20" Barrel) that I was just looking over too.
The great thing about that 1897 Winchester was that, like the Ithaca, you could hold that trigger back and shoot away until it empties!
I got somehow confused when I wanted the 1300 Defender thinking it operated the same way. I have to admit, I'm still very pleased with the 1300 Defender, it cycles super fast anyhow.
Again, It's just the name "Winchester", along with their reputation which really catches my eye!

------------------

Don't let a famous name blind you.The most egregious example of a handgun I've owned had a rearing horse on it.

The supposed advantage to the slam fire aspects of the 97 and 37 kinda eludes me. If I can get off 5 hitting shots in 5 seconds with an 870/00/15-25 yards on vitals targets, what advantage to the "Just hold the trigger back and keep pumping" stuff I've been hearing since South East Asia?

BTW, a much worn 97 with a hacksawn bbl was part of our crew equipment.

Thank you everyone! I have really enjoyed reading all of your responses to my post.

I never really knew so many people would be willing to talk "shotgun" :)

For what it is worth: After the smith cleaned and polished the chamber on my 1300 I took it to the range to see if it worked any better now.

WOW! Shoots great...and that is the best I have EVER, and I mean EVER, shot with a shotgun. At 50 yards I placed all of the shots on the paper about 1" above the bullseye. Best 10 rounds I have ever shot throught a shotgun.

Thanks again to everyone,

Posigian

when it comes to shotguns... you just have to pick the one that is right for you because there really are so many types to choose from and they are all just slightly different. Remington just happens to be a popular shotgun.

Back