Why no revolving shotgun??

skizzums

Just curious to as why there are no options for a revolving cylinder 12ga shotgun on the market? is there no appeal to this? the only thing i can find close is the Striker which is too short to own without AOW stamp

i would think with all the hype around taurus 20ga revolvers that got stopped, this would be a very marketable gun, i personally would love to have one, i know they make the rossi 2-ga rfles, so why not a 12ga? or are these available and i just dont know about it

revolveshotgun_zps0b2935f3.png
[/URL]
Revolving-Shotgun-500x205_zps835dcf05.jpg
[/URL]

A few companies make them in 410. I imagine the reason that they are not made in 12 ga. is the cylinder would have to be very large.

There is no reason it can't be done, but the cylinder can not be spring actuated.
The Taurus revolver was a 28 Ga., not a 20 ga. The barrel/cylinder gap could be problematic.

I think the biggest draw back would be ejection or unloading of the cylinder.

Just about all shotguns eject spent shells from the chamber, auto's, pump's, SxS's, O/U's some single shots.

The shooter takes the time to load the cylinder- shoots-unload cylinder, too much time wasted.

the only thing i can find close is the Striker which is too short to own without AOW stamp
It didn't ever have anything to do with length.
The ATF ruled that the Striker (and Street Sweeper) shotguns had no sporting purpose and must be registered as Destructive Devices and therefore require a $200 DD stamp not a $5 AOW stamp.

The practical reasons are a combination of no (not low, no) demand, and the drawback of size, bulk, balance to a shotgun size cylinder.

Capacity would be 5, possibly 6 if the cylinder is bulky enough, but that width cylinder is about twice the width of a regular shotgun, or more, and the same capacity is handled by a tube magazine without the same kind of bulk in the middle of the gun as a cylinder.

Then there is also the drawback that with a revolving long gun, someone is going to put their arm infront of the flash gap. Today's revolving long guns (which, despite marketing are essentially really only novelty items) do have some kind of a shield. Old designs I have seen never did.

SO, what you wind up with is a gun with a very thick bulge in the middle, making it awkward and uncomfortable to carry one handed, that has a potentially dangerous zone (cylinder flash gap), doesn't have any capacity advantage over regular designs, and would likely cost considerably more to make.

Sure, some would buy one, just to have, but any kind of mass market appeal? No.

The Striker 12 & Streetsweeper guns were classified as Destructive Devices by our benevolent ATF, after a few years of allowing the common folk to own them without restriction. Apparently they are just too "dangerous".

They were featured by name in the 94AWB, and even more ominously, the language of that law not only named them, but also any other firearm with a mechanism "substgantially similar to" them. Considering that those guns were essentially DA revolvers in mechanism, that gave them a foot in the door, legally, to at some later time, regulate/ban DA revolvers. The fact that the anti gunners didn't capitalize on that (yet) means only that they are waiting for the right time. The groundwork has been laid.

There have been revolving shotguns down through the ages, people didn't buy them, why would they buy them now??

Because there is no real advantage over the well established tube magazine pump and semiauto designs readily available.

Penn Arms?....

Penn Arms based in Punaxatawny PA(yes the home of Punaxatawny Phil :D ), has the Street Sweeper or Striker a drum style 12ga for SWAT/tier one units.
I think they offered a "street legal" longer barrel format but cut it due to low sales. :(

Penn Arms(which changed company names about 4 years ago, new name unknown) sells a lot of 40mm & 37mm riot guns and spec ops stuff that most armed citizens don't really need or buy.

Clyde F

That and laws that hit the Street Sweeper are likely to hit this. So even if someone did make it, making it legal for everyone is more problematic. There was a bill in Congress recently about a buyback for various guns on a Federal level, that would have allowed you to buy a Rossi for less than the government was willing to pay in tax credits, making it possible to negate your tax bill by buying a couple Rossi's and turning them in.

I saw this "rail system" written up in "Recoil" magazine a couple of months ago.....on the Benelli M-2 ..../ it sells for around $ 700...

https://www.xrailbyrci.com/

holds 25 rounds....and the writeup was positive....

( not something I want ....but its another option )...

Back