Why no love for 3rd gen S&W auto's?

They are great guns, and I still carry a mid-1990s 3913LS (single-stack DA/SA, aluminum alloy frame, single-side safety for thinness) as often as not.

I liked it so well that I bought a CDNN police-trade-in 5906 and enjoyed shooting that for a while also. I reluctantly sold it because I wanted an extended match barrel and other accuracy upgrades, and there is little or no aftermarket support anymore; Bar-Sto was the go-to back in the day, but they are no longer making barrels for 3rd-gen Smiths. The 5906 was also extremely heavy to carry (loaded weight was well over 2 pounds), although it made a great HD pistol. I used the proceeds to buy a 5" FNS-9 longslide, which is the same size and capacity as my 5906, but half the weight.

My first choice as a 5906 replacement was actually the 5" M&P, but I heard iffy things about accuracy, so I went with the FN.

I think there's plenty of love, it's just more of a select following than some other models. Keep in mind that they've been out of production (though some new still hit the market on occasion) for some time. Some people simply haven't been exposed.

Had a 908s...sold to fund a 1911 9mm buy. Still have a 909 that I'll have for a long time. Cosmetically, beat to hell. But a very smooth and accurate pistol. And I never have to worry about adding a ding or scratch. I just love single stacks.

Seriously, the 3rd gens are pretty robust. And the ones with aluminum frames really aren't appreciably heavier than their polymer counterparts. They're just old school cool.

Hard to determine the actual subject or goal of this thread. The title seems to suggest that either folks (generally) or this forum doesn't really give the S&W 3rd Gens much credit?

If that is the assertion... I would have to agree. It's not that this forum doesn't like them, it's more that we just hardly ever discuss them. As for the active buying and shooting public? Well, they are no longer cutting edge or today's news, so it's mostly those of us a bit older that still like them.

As for me... I love 'em. Actually it would be far more accurate to say that I love the S&W metal framed pistols. While I personally believe that the 3rd Gen is the pinnacle of a fantastic design, it the real world... it's actually not my production 3rd Gens that garner all my love and attention. My favorites are my 5" PC target pistols and my Model 52's. Also... my 39's, 659 and 745's.

Old-school "compact" aluminum frame S&W 6946 and modern Gen 4 Glock 19 side by side. One pic has the Smitty with it's normal 12-rd mag w/finger extension, the other with a 15-rd mag and grip extension (making it the same grip size as it's 59xx series big brother).

9b7cb682e8c3180c60f827c06488791a.jpg

ac979dad1fa3ab250a358dc9c3d2d0dd.jpg

As has been stated, the aluminum frame models are significantly lighter than their steel counterparts. Just install some new night sights on 'em and have a blast!

S&W 10mm 1006.
agtman, *that* is an application where the extra mass and durability of a steel frame makes a lot of sense!

How well does that shoot with full-house 10mm loads? That almost makes me tempted to track down a 1006. :)

agtman, *that* is an application where the extra mass and durability of a steel frame makes a lot of sense! How well does that shoot with full-house 10mm loads? That almost makes me tempted to track down a 1006.

If you can find a little-used 1006, definitely grab it!

Yes, the 1006 is an all-steel tank, and the full 5-inches of slide mass, along with a Wolff XP recoil spring, make this the smoothest-shooting and softest-recoiling 10mm probably ever produced even with the hot high-performance loads.

I say " probably," only because I never handled or shot a Star MegaStar 10mm, which were briefly imported in early 1990s. Those too were big, heavy, all-steel tanks with 14-rd magazines. Recoil was said to be a non-issue with full-throttle 10mm ammo.

Although I've always wished the mag capacity of the 10XX-series pistols had been 11+1 rounds, rather than 9+1, I appreciated the flat profile for concealability back when I did carry it for a while. My 4.25" "Commander"-size 1076 made concealed carry somewhat easier.

There's a good following. I'm betting that in 50 years, it will have a Colt-like following. Maybe...

Hey, I like 'em. Enough to have 20-something of 'em. :D

Definitely some love here, beginning in the early 1970s with the 39 and 59. But for various reasons I never bought one until 3rd Gen LE trade-ins hit the market at bargain prices. Sure, I carry a Glock but even so the S&Ws are a lot of gun for the money. I bought three ... 5906, 5903 and 6906!

Sure, I carry a Glock but even so the S&Ws are a lot of gun for the money. I bought three ... 5906, 5903 and 6906!

That all-steel 5906 might be the softest-shooting and most durable 9mm ever made. Much more so than the Beretta 92.

I'm not a 9mm fan, but if a pristine 5906 showed up in my neighborhood, I'd snatch it up in a heart beat. I think you can still get 15-rd mags for those.

I'd say there is a pretty good following for the 3rd gens.

I have a 4006 and absolutely love it. The only thing I've done to it is put hogue grips on it; I didn't like the plastic grip too much. The gun is built like a tank though, and weighs about as much as one too. Seems very accurate also as it's always right on... as long as I'm on. I'd prefer a 5906 or 4506, but my 4006 was a gift so .40 S&W it is.

Yep, lots of love for the 3rd Gens. Great solid well designed firearms that unfortunately aren't as profitable to manufacture anymore in today's polymer world.

If you do some research, I think you'll find that most people who are familiar with them find little fault with them. I did say "most"...;) I've been a big fan of 3rd Generation Smiths ever since my agency switched from revolvers to autos and adopted them as our mandatory carry piece. Uber reliable!

I give them a lot of respect because they earned it from me. If you want a light, CC piece then look elsewhere. If you want a tank for serious HD or woods carry then it's hard to do better.

1086 10mm:

4043 40S&W:

Back