Why no love for 3rd gen S&W auto's?

gmh1013

My 4506 is one of my fav auto with thousands of rounds through it with only 2 ftf that i can remember.My friend let me shoot his 45 Glock and i just cant hit s*** with one plus I hate striker fired guns. My 9mm Smith is single stack model i use for carry sometimes and just like the 45 never a problem.

I think there is a good bit of “love” for the 3rd Gen guns on this site and among knowledgeable gun owners. The problem is that many Law Enforcement Organizations moved away from the heavier S&W guns to the lighter and often less expensive GLOCKs. Then the general public followed suit and let’s face facts whether you like GLOCKs or not they are excellent well designed guns. I still look for the older S&W autos in the used gun section and would love to see S&W bring back some models under their Classics Line.

I hear you. I snagged an exc. cond. 4506 on a trade years ago and just love it. 4506's were carried by many stars in Hollywood movies and TV shows back in their day. They hold good $ value now. I also have an exc. cond. 4046 at my bedstand. The balance, reliability and workmanship on both of them are awesome. There are many threads in here regarding 3rd gen Smiths.

I tried to like them. I really did. I had 2. A 5906 and a 1006. I just cannot keep a gun with that dadgum magazine disconnect.

I just cannot keep a gun with that dadgum magazine disconnect.
I don't like them either that's why they fell out of my 1076 and my 6926 and my BHP and my SR9 and ............

As to the OP there's plenty of love for them.

I, too, liked them - until I actually tried a few.
They are a nice, hefty and well made series, but..
Too high a bore line and too low a grip.
And that danged DA/SA design on most of them.
Still prefer a 1911.

yep i like them too....they are just too heavy for carry and there are better weapons for a home defense gun so im down to just one.

I personally like 2nd and 3rd gen S&W autos. The 3rd gens fit my hand slightly better; but the 2nd gen's are nice because you can put a nice set of wood grips on them!

The biggest problem with 3rd gen's is the trigger - it basically sucks. Gritty, too much take-up, just sort of a lousy trigger that didn't have to be lousy. My CZ and Tanfoglio DA/SA triggers put 3rd gens and my 2nd gen S&W 659 to shame. Also, the grip on my 2nd gen 659 is notoriously "fat".

^^^ Additionally, many shooters never really warmed up to the slide-mounted decocking safety used on the conventional DA/SA versions, nor the magazine disconnect found in roughly 99-44/100% of DA/SA production.

They ARE very high-quality guns though, and many people are fans, particularly since most less-than-pristine examples in calibers other than 10mm aren't very expensive.

My agency transitioned from the 4006 to M&Ps several years ago. The agency needed to procure more handguns, and the 4006 was basically out of production.

The 4006 is a fine handgun, but the M&P (basically a Glock clone) was well-received by officers. It was cheaper, lighter, ergonomically superior and frankly, I shoot a little bit better with it.

We had the opportunity to purchase our 4006s, and most officers did.

There was an issue with the M&Ps having a malfunction associated with the mounted taclight, and we were reissued M&Ps with several small modifications (notably a stiffened frame). However, the M&Ps have been overall very reliable and require even less maintenance than the nearly trouble-free 4006.

So, I think the 3d gen Smiths were great guns, but they just can't compete in terms of price with the polymer frame guns, which, in the case of S&W, continue to benefit from incremental improvements.

In the hands of an individual shooter, the difference would be negligible, and the 3d gen Smiths deserve respect as the end of a nearly 50 year evolution.

Love my 3rd Gen DAO's 5943 SSV and 6946. Far more comfortable and ergonomic in my hand with exception of my CZ's and Beretta, and accurate as can be. Far more comfortable than any Glock for that matter also, even with a fat grip. I'll gladly take something that works for me, even if it means adding more than a few extra ounces of weight to my EDC (and the 3rd Gens are still lighter than what I'm carrying now!).

Back