Why no breech loading inlines

Today's smith carbine cases are made specifically for target shooting and only hold 30-40 grains of powder. The originals held over 50 grains.

I've seen and held those brass "cases" for the Smith and they are big, heavy and thick walled.

Is there any reason why something like the Smith could not have the bullet put in the chamber, then the chamber simply filled with BP. So you'd have the standard 40 odd grain together with the volume normally occupied by the case.
Fill it flush with the edge of the chamber, and close the breech.

That would probably be about 50gr.

Would this risk over-straining the gun?
Are there other reasons this would not work?

The paper cutter Sharps can be, and usually is, used that way. I don't know about the Smith Carbine. If it relies on the brass case to seal the breech, you're going to have a lot of blowback if the case is not used, which may or may not be a problem, after all, revolvers have a lot of breech leakage around the cylinder gap.

The metallic cartridge was invented for a reason. Paper cartridges could be loaded fast but they relied on the gun's breech mechanism to seal the breech, usually imperfectly. Brass cases on the other hand expanded with pressure and acted as a seal as well as containing the charge. They sealed the chamber under pressure sort of the way a tubeless tire seats and seals on the rim when you inflate it.
Once percussion ignition was developed, it was only a very short time before they found ways to incorporate the percussion cap into a brass or copper cartridge.
The percussion muzzle loader was indeed a very short lived era in the history of gun development. If I remember correctly, percussion ignition came about around 1836 or so, ending hundreds of years of the dominance of the flintlock, but only around 25 or 30 years later, the percussion muzzle loader was rendered obsolete also.
And here we are in the year 2016 and nearly all modern rifles still use percussion primers to ignite the powder charge. Electric primers exist but they seem to be a big step sideways in the evolution of gun technology. The percussion primer just has too many advantages, it's simple, reliable, and you don't have to worry about a dead battery in your gun.
Daisy invented a case less round with a solid propellant that was diesel ignited by a strong spring air rifle mechanism. It too died a well deserved death as it was the classic answer to a question no one asked. Who wants a single shot .22 that's as hard to cock as an air rifle and ammo that you can't allow to get wet during a rainstorm anyway?

The Smith could be loaded with loose powder but it has a lot of flash out of the receiver when you do. Smith cartridges aren't supposed to be brass, they're supposed to be rubber.

When you think about it, there's absolutely no $$$ for anyone to develop a breech loading inline. Inlines came about as a means for people who weren't into muzzle loaders to extend their hunting season.

An breechloading muzzleloading inline wouldn't even qualify for muzzle loading season so why would anyone buy one?

Muzzleloader season started out as an accommodation to antiquarians, but I think it has been used for game management since. Easier to extend "primitive weapons" season than to lengthen the conventional season if you have too many deer.

Look at Mississippi, single shot exposed hammer breechloaders are "primitive weapons" alongside the blister packed inlines at Cheapmart.

On the other hand, look at Pennsylvania. They have a flintlock only season. They also now have a "general muzzleloader" season but I think that a fairly recent innovation.

There was one jurisdiction that allowed only round balls. Another allowed only smoothbores. I see neither on a summary of muzzleloading regulations. Too many deer plus too many non-enthusiast hunters?

Back