Why is the FBI cant a good thing for a holster:

I've been working my way toward more cant recently, as I've started carrying closer to 5 o'clock than 3:30, as I used to.

It certainly does allow you to conceal a larger gun more easily, since the grip moves up rather than out:

Larry

The forward cant allows me to effectively conceal a larger pistol at 3-3:30, without printing. It actually slows down the draw, and have to contort a little. It be a trade off am willing to make.

This exactly.
Only way for to to conceal a 1911 / Glock 21 size pistol to my satisfaction.

Cant, pike and peavey: I remember options like 'kick out', there were a few holsters with enough kick out to make an elbow rest. The kick out holster made it difficult to look cool when walking through narrow doors and then there was the problem with paint chips.

F. Guffey

In the position you wear your holster, you cant the rig enough so the drawing hand can EASILY establish a firing grip while the gun is still in the holster. One reason for the "FBI" ~4:00 position was that it worked well with their suit coats. For an automatic worn in that position you may need more or less cant to achieve the goal of 'a firing grip while still on the holster' requisite.

If you need to adjust your grip after or during the draw movement, then you need to move the holster location or adjust the cant to allow a firing grip while the gun is still in the holster.

For many of us, a moderate butt forward cant with an OWB holster at 3:30 to 4:00 accomplishes that provision. Rod

Last edited:
This is one of those subjects that we as concealed carriers can cuss and discuss until the cows come home. Our body shape, torso, arm length and mobility or flexibility all play a part in what works best for us. A good cant worked for me when I was younger and skinnier, now not so much. Ilike straight up about 3:00. :)

Back