Why I like the Ruger American!

I carried my American in 300 Blackout around in the truck while bouncing around in “old Green” with Stony for a couple of months this summer. I had occasion to take hogs at 100 yards with the little rifle and love everything about it but the mag. With the shorter 125 gr bullets the OAL of the cartridge caused a nosedive for the first few rounds which resulted in double feeds or general havoc. With a 150 gr bullet seated at the suggested OAL the mag worked better, trying to single feed a 125 gr was an experience by itself athere is no feed ramp and an inch or so of space before entering the chamber.
Loading three 125 gr rounds usually fed ok but the whole issue left me a bit angry with Ruger engineering.

I just shot my Ruger American in .300 Blackout yesterday using 125 grain MatchKings and they all fed fine. Initially I did have an issue with the first round feeding correctly. For me, it was only the first round out of the magazine. But it seems like the magazine "wore in" and it doesn't do it anymore.

Like you say, this was never an issue with longer bullets such as when I use subsonics (Hornady 208s or 220 grain MatchKings). It was only an issue for short bullets and again, the problem seems to have taken care of itself.

I have enjoyed this rifle so much that I have easily shot over 500 rounds out of it. Probably a few hundred more than 500 but I haven't been keeping track. And at this point everything is running great.

Shot my RA .223 yesterday and again today. Yesterday with a 20mph crosswind I was able to consistently hit a plate at 300, but was never able to hit 400. Or at least to tell if I did, really.

Today someone left a dozen clays on the 300 yard berm and I had enough fun busting those and never tried 400.

This rifle does exactly what I bought it to do, and I love it.

Hi Old Stony,

That's one damned impressive target. Deer will be in big trouble come opening day.

But there's a downside: a rifle that shoots as fantastically as yours has taken an excuse for a miss from you. You won't be able to blame your rifle ;-)

BTW, many years ago, a friend told me to never sell a rifle that's a shooter, and your rifle easily qualifies for that category.

SA1911, No problems with Stony missing shots as that is a rare occurrence. He can see and hit a hog in the shoulder with the night vision while I am still trying to determine the shape of the animal. Most of his shots taking deer are done in the neck so waste is kept to a minimum, I would say he has easily more than 1000 hogs to his credit, trapping and single shots at two in the morning as he outwaits the big boars.

Funny story, I walked into our local Cal Ranch store a few months back to buy dog food. I always check for available rifle powder when I am there. No powder I needed, but the kid at the counter says "we have Ruger American Predator rifles on sale for $247". Apparently they had too many in .223 Rem. I figured I couldn't go wrong and bought one for $267 out the door, figuring I would flip it if it didn't shoot or I don't like it.

Mounted an old Weaver 3X9 that I took off of a used rifle in cheap rings. Haven't had much time to work with it, but two range sessions resulted in a hand load that'll put 5 rounds in less than 3/4" at 100 yards. The first three rounds consistently touch! She's a keeper for less that $300 with the rings and should work well for coyotes this winter, if it ever cools off.

Just a little remiss that all new rifles are cheap. Miss the good old BDL, and M77
I think I'll buy a Sako in walnut.

Back