Why I eat squirrel, really, by Georgia Pellegrini

they don't run once their dead. get good at long range spotting with binoculars, and sniping with a .22 or pellet rifle, they don't run. they just fall.

I have not ate any squirrel meat for a long time, used to eat them all the time when I was a kid.

Squirrel and gravy along with fried potatoes and biscuits, man was that ever good.

There was an old man that lived up in the hills south of St. Joseph that I would take squirrels to every now and then.
He used to make what he called squirrel head gravy, he used to offer me some but I never could bring myself to try any.

This thread has got me to thinking about squirrel hunting again, thanks for starting it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

+1 on what Doyle stated about the eastern pines.

Around these parts, don't eat the squirrels out of the pines. Very nasty tasting and I've not found anything to soak them in to make them edible. Not salt water,vinegar,milk...nothing!

I like to grill Squirrel, you skin them and open them all the way take the head off. Rub them down with salt and pepper, or seasoning of your choice. Get your coals just right with charcoil, and a few small split chunks of white oak. Start grilling with the squirrel belly down, when the edges start to brown flip him over and brown the other side, have the lid closed on your grill for a good smoke and dont leave the squirrel too long. If you time it right the meat will be tender and juicy. Too bad the seasons over.

Squirrels in my yard taste just fine to me- we have a mix of oaks and pines... I've never heard of the difference in taste due to diet.:confused:

Never parboiled or baked them either. Just flour and fry same as everything else we eat:D

My dad said his grandmother would scold him and my cousin for shooting them in the head....apparently she enjoyed squirrel brains and eggs for breakfast...:eek:

I checked this morning and Missouri season closed the 15 of this month.
So I guess I'll be waiting till next season to get some squirrels, in the mean time I'll be doing some practice shooting with one of my favorite rimfires.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Fox squirrels are considered an invasive species here in Oregon. That means they're like a varmint and can be hunted year round.

As soon as I'm sure I can identify them and find a place to hunt them, I will be stalking squirrel with my .22 Hornet...

Tony

Back