WHY GLOCK? I don't understand why so many people are THE GLOCK fans. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been told by many shooters more experienced and knowledgeable
than I, that

“one shoots a Glock OR a 1911 style, but NEVER both. The difference in
grip angle precludes becoming proficient with both styles. Pick one and
stick with it.”

Unfortunately I did not receive this sage advice in a timely manner.
Therefore, I have both Glocks and 1911 style pistols.

I have a G34 (a Glock model 17 with a slightly longer slide and a 3.5lb
trigger). I like shooting the cheaper 9mm ammo (9mm=$7/box;
.45=$12/box). The Glock works 100% with factory mags. (It doesn’t
like Pro-Mag mags.)

However, I usually carry 1911 style for discrete (CHL) carry.

I like the feel of the 1911 style safety. That’s not “good” or “bad” - it is
merely my preference. That safety, along with “rule 4 - keep your finger
off the trigger, etc.”, combine to reduce (hopefully eliminate) a Negligent
Discharge (especially under stress).

It’s hot here in Texas, and I had to wear my .45 in a belly band under a
loose-fitting shirt. Eight hours later my .45 was rusted badly due to
sweat.

The next day, I carried the Glock the same way, in the same heat, for
the same amount of time. No rust! Not even on the slide.

So, I believe your personal best bet is whatever works best for you considering 1) Safety, 2)
Effectiveness, 3) Efficiency, and 4) other personal/situational
considerations.

If you hit better with a 9mm than with a .45, then practice until you are
better with the .45 or carry the 9mm. Hits count. Misses don’t.

Me? I’m scared of my Glock’s 3.5lb trigger with only a trigger safety. To
me it’s like carrying a .45 cocked and UNlocked. And even if I keep my
finger off the trigger, I worry that when I holster my handgun the trigger
might snag on a wad of cloth, a piece of the holster, or something else
I’m not aware of. Chances are slim, but it gives ME the willies.
Obviously a huge number of Glocksters have no similar concerns (and
NDs are rare).

Listen to the experts (which leaves me out), evaluate which of their
points apply to you, and decide for yourself what’s important to *YOU*.
Then there can be no “wrong” answer.
-------

By the way, about limp-wristing. I know it is a sacred subject but
evaluate it yourself.

I took two Glocks and three .45s to the range and did the following test
on each one.

1) I filled the pistol to full capacity.
2) I set the butt of the pistol on my left palm.
3) I did not grip the pistol. I depressed the grip safety (as applicable)
with my right thumb and pulled the trigger with my right trigger finger.
4) I fired the gun as quickly as I safely could until it was empty.

Not one malfunction. Not one. All five guns fired all available rounds.

So, as far as my little test goes, I can only say limp-wristing does not
seem to be much of a factor with these five guns.

Obviously other folks must have different experiences.

GlockC22.jpg

They work all the time.
They are light weight.
A ton of support like GT.
A big caliber/size selection.
Parts easily attainable on the Web.
Ease of use and function.
Not as expensive as Sigs.
They do not rust like Sigs.

[This message has been edited by SHORTFUSE (edited September 13, 1999).]

Dennis,

Count me as another [misguided?] Glock/1911 shooter. I like them both, even if it is hard to switch back and forth.

For those who consider Glocks overpriced: I'll grant that the S&W Sigma, which is manufactured with almost the same materials and techniques as the Glock, costs about $150 less. But unlike the Sigma, the Glock works. :)

And do any of the polymer-framed pistols from SIG, HK or Walther cost less than the Glock? Hmmm?

I think the CZ-100 is the only Glock wanna-be that shoots well at a sub-Glock price. Is this just because Czechs get paid less than Austrians and Germans?

If plastic pistols were really that easy to make, the Chinese would be selling one for $200! :)

I am glad to see some of have alerted to this pretty gun thing. C'mon guy's, you don't buy a defense gun because it's pretty. You guy's sound like a woman shopping for a pair of shoe's.
The Glock is overpriced. You don't compare a utility pistol with a collector/competition pistol and they say it cost less. I do like the idea behind Glocks however, I needed a gun that had a reasonable price, would shoot straight all the time, and was tuff. I went with a Ruger P97 but will not suggest that it would be the gun to own. For $350 I couldn't find a better gun but you might.
When looking at what police carry remember this. Government agencies "ussually" go with the lowest bidder, not the best quality. They will find the most sturdy tactical guns and then start priceing.
If you are going to carry IWB the Glock is not the way to go. They are to boxy and thick. The 1911 is the slimmest I've seen although heavy. My P97 is great for me because it's nose is rounded and the slide is smooth all the way to the trigger. This makes drawing and reholstering in concealment much easier. Alway's get what suites you, not what the mass media suggest.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

FWIW, I resisted buying or shooting Glocks for about ten years because of their apparent ugliness and boxiness as well as their non-traditional materials and design. Then I got my concealed handgun license and needed a carry gun that was reliable, easy to maintain, compact, lightweight, and easy to shoot. I compared the S&W 3913 with the G26 and, although I liked both pistols, I preferred the G26 and have never looked back.

So I'm now a big fan of Glock pistols. OTOH, no single brand or type of pistol--not even Glock--is equally suited to everyone. Plus, my liking for Glocks hasn't reduced my high regard for other quality pistols, including SIGs, Berettas, 1911s, etc.

My $0.02.

Glocks also all work the same way, kinda like revolvers. If you must get into combat at 4am with no time to fully wake up, simplicity and consistency do help. My first handguns was a G17 and I think it is a fine fighting tool, but still dislike the trigger and rather lame sights. Will fix the sights someday...

I neither like nor dislike Glocks. I've fired them in 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, and 10mm. They all went bang when I told them to, and put the projectile where I told them to. I just can't stand that "sproink" trigger, and their grips tend to be too big for my hands.

I'll stick with Ye Antient 1911, thanks.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

Dry firing my Glock sounds and feels like pulling a trigger on those toy guns that shoot suction cup darts......."ptoung". I prefer Sigs/HK's or a CZ.

Coinneach and hiker have perfectly described the Glock trigger and it does take some getting used to. It should be pointed out that the suceeding shots can be done without allowing the trigger to return its full travel, in effect giving a "single action" pull. However, do this until you master the technique under very controlled conditions--one of my friends didn't quite grasp the concept and almost put a hole in the (outdoor) range roof when he tried it. The second shot was at about a 30 degree angle upward.

On a related note, I really have a hard time with this extreme brand loyalty thing concernin g any firearm. I have never seen the perfect gun and have had some disappointment, either service, or performance-wise with all of them, sometimes very minor, but present, nevertheless.

Sigman,

First off, welcome to TFL!

I have nothing good to say about Glocks, I can't stand 'em. I just don't trust a plastic gun, & I don't like the way Glocks feel in my hand. Plus, they are ugly! (I have to appreciate a gun's deadly beauty to buy it: not the only reason to buy, but I do like nice, smooth lines...) I own a SIG P228 and a Springfield 1911 V10. I love my SIG (& my 1911)! To me, they(Sigs) have the smoothest action and ease of use. Sometimes quality is worth the price...

SHORTFUSE,

Nice picture, but my ported 1911 does the same thang!

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"
-------------------------
je suis prest

[This message has been edited by Darthmaum (edited September 13, 1999).]

Guys,

After hating Glocks for many years I finally bought one a little while back. I personally have owned just about every major type of handgun (except 1911), and I find the Glock to be reliable and easy to maintain. The only problem is, most of the guns I have owned have been just as reliable. Today's guns are a heck of a lot better than the stuff that was availible 20 years ago. Most of the gun shop wisdom you hear is based on some extremely outdated information. The Glock came around just as guns started to get good. The Glock joined other "wondernines" like the HKP7,M92,Sig 220 series,etc. All of these guns are fabulous compared to the crap that came before them (except, I hear, for tuned 1911 and BHPs). Since then, a lot of great guns have joined them. Still, the Glock's great strength has always been its low price. Where other quality guns cost 600 Glocks cost 450. This is what has seperated the Glock from the pack.
Unfortunately, the Glock isn't perfect. The gun isn't equipped with a proper saftey. The thing just can't be handled as casually as most other firearms. Some might argue that this makes Glock owners more careful gun owners---but this is a kind of "trial by fire" that most people try to avoid. For the life of me I can't understand why so many police departments are so callous as to send out legions of barely trained LEOs equipped with this gun. I wonder how many innocent cops and citizens have paid for the "simplicity" and low cost of the Glock.

Still, the gun is fine for a person who has extensive firearms training. I myself use a Glock 23 as my hiking and car gun. It is reliable and tough, and I really appreciate the fact that I can trust it to work when I need it. The only gun I trust more is my P7, and that only because I have so much more experience with it.

If I was buying my first gun I would steer clear of the Glock. The gun is fine for a dedicated gun nut but it isn't the kind of gun I would recommend to a novice. The gun is simple, but so is a hand grenade. If I were you I would pick up a USP compact. The gun can be found in the relevant calibers, and it is just as reliable and accurate as the Glock. But more importantly, the gun comes with a manual saftey. Some Glocksters will argue that this somehow introduces the possibility that you won't remember the saftey in a gunfight. My view is, you are a heck of a lot more likely to have an AD with your Glock than get in a gunfight before you have familiarised yourself with a manual saftey. Think about it, a heck of a lot more guys have had ADs on TFL than have been in gunfights. I say keep your foot and just practice operating the saftey a little. Be safe! Live to shoot another day.

Greg

One thing, the Glock is not made of cheap plastic and metal stampings. Last time I looked at my Glocks they had only 3 stamped parts (out of 34) in them. And the plastic may be cheaper to manufacture in the long run but the setup cost (machinery) is much higher than equivalent equipment for metals.

Why do I like Glocks? They are the closest things to perfection available today. The trigger could be better. A round top slide would be nice. Steel sights would be a plus as would a steel guide rod. What's good about them though. The trigger is the same every time (just like a SA but safer). They were designed not to have a manual safety (which I don't use on the guns that do have them). The finish is the best of any factory gun available (tons better than sigs). The bore axis is lower than most guns. The cost really isn't that low. Imagine how much a Sig would cost if it only had 34 parts and no hand fitting required? I'd gladly pay twice the price to get the same features. It's also the easiest gun to detail strip. So is the Glock perfect? No! Is the (insert your choice of other handguns) perfect? Hell No!

------------------
Arizona Morgan, The Official Armchair Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back