Why dont people like trading in their guns every few years?

Still looking for significant MECHANICAL advances in the last 50 years. As was stated earlier, automotive electronics have made significant advances, but a mechanic from the WW2 era would have no trouble with the mechanical systems of a modern car.

Show him a Prius or a Tesla and he might have to scratch his head a bit.

Well your premise is wrong. Cars lose value and btw, if you are leasing you are pi$$ING your money off fast..... Guns are to buy and keep. Get rid of those that you don't suit your fancy but buy and keep a collection.

What mechanical advances (vs electronic) are present on a Prius or Tesla?

Electrically driven cars aren't new, first production ones were in 1884. Electric streetcars have been around since the 1890's.

1. Not all of us think "advances" and "new technology" and such are necessarily improvements. I used to swear I'd never own a car with electric windows, because what if I drove it into a lake? I buy a car when the old one isn't worth repairing any more, not because I want some gizmo.

2. Guns have way fewer moving parts.

Im currently in Japan for 3 years (no guns allowed here) I bought a brand new marlin 30-30 and a New Benelli nova 2 weeks before i left.

some people trade around a alot and i think its a lack of research and experience with that gun before getting it. I have done it, i traded a maverick 88 and a bear bow for a savage 116 SS 300 win mag. Horrible choice on my part the 88 was only 200$ new but i loved it and used it way more, now I dont want to get rid of the 300 WM because I live in AR what are you going to need that gun for in Arkansas?? plus i rarely ever shot it. The sensible thing to do would be to trade it or sell it for a gun i will use more and like shooting

I have made several posts on this forum regarding my next rifle choice over the last year along with lots of research and still not 100% sure which caliber much less which brand and model and optics i want in my next hunting rifle and thats because i Intend on keeping it forever!

If you get a gun you NEED for hunting or self defense AND do your research and ask around to make SURE its what you need. Instead of getting guns that look cool at the range i bet you'll end up holding onto it. Otherwise just keep trading that may be your interest in guns.

I also think many peoples interest lay into having a relationship with each gun, their optics, choice of ammo.

do what you want man i would just recommend keeping at least 1 or 2 that you keep forever that meet YOUR needs and that you love. Having the 3rd and maybe 4th to trade around

some people trade around a a lot and i think its a lack of research and experience with that gun before getting it
Any dealership will let you take a car for a test drive for free. Many cars are available for rent pretty cheap for a few days. When I am getting ready to buy a car I usually try to rent them for a few days.
Renting a gun for an hour or two at the range costs nearly as much as my loss if I buy a new gun and sell it because I don't like it. Often more than if I buy a used one and resell.

I just sold my old 62 Fairlane 500 that had not been moved for about a dozen years. The brakes are down and the drums are rusty. The carb is dry and needs cleaning (at least), the tires are old and need replacement, etc. etc. etc. The old 40s era 12 gauge shotgun I took in trade shoots like new and still looks good. It had not been touched in years. It sits beside my other 2 shotguns from the 40s that are the same way. I clean them, put them away in a dry place and they remain pristine and ready to go for years and years. Why trade off something that both performs and looks much like the new ones? My cars show their age but my guns remain just like I left them. My 60s and 70s era revolvers still look and shoot like new.

Firstly I still own my first car, 9 1/2 years later.
Secondly, I don't sale guns.
Thirdly, it's much simpler to have 20 guns than 20 cars.

Quote:
Still looking for significant MECHANICAL advances in the last 50 years. As was stated earlier, automotive electronics have made significant advances, but a mechanic from the WW2 era would have no trouble with the mechanical systems of a modern car.

Not sure on the hybrids, but electric cars are nothing new. I believe they started in the 1920s. And technically hybrids have been around a long time in a sense. Electro magnet transmissions have been used, that with a gas engine is a hybrid the same as a train is one. Not sure of any old cars using an engine and motor however. I believe older cars had more style and way more engineering feats. Look into the cars from the teens to the '40s. Look hard at all and you'll see all sorts of things that have been done.

Compare that to guns. Look at a gun a hundred years ago. Some of the same guns are even made. Guns have not advanced much. Old tried and true designs are still. And I can't think of any gun not made to last. Some guns are meant to be used more than others but unlike new vehicles in 5 years you aren't stuck with a gun that needs enough work you can buy several older models for the same amount. Guns hold their value. Even cars that are now collectible, it took years for that to happen. You can buy a new gun and 10 years later it'll be worth the same usually.

RE: guns are a more mature technology....

Once the tech has stabilized somewhat, then market forces take over and kill the inefficient....... i.e.- the savage 99 or the Winchester 88: they did everything any bolt gun in a similar caliber did, but it cost more to make it happen. Gone..... and the bolties have gotten better and cheaper ever since.

Because my guns don't wear out like my cars do.

If you spent the same amount of time shooting them as you do driving the cars, and kept the guns in the same conditions as the cars, I think that might not be the case.

It's a rare shooter that fires a gun for 10 hours in a day with only a 10 minute stop to reload and pee ....... and I've never left a gun in the driveway .....or in the rain. Never left them with road salt visibly encrusting them ......

because in Finland the permit is hard to get and expensive (79€).
You keep a useless piece of s••t gun for the permit. You can buy a truckload of spareparts for it with that permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once started a thread on THR asking who had a firearm GREATER than 100 years old.

The oldest WORKING firearm was a Fusil that was made in the early 1400's

Guggmeister said:
because in Finland the permit is hard to get and expensive (79€).
I guess everything is relative. In the U.S. the cost to obtain a permit varies by state, so there are lots of different prices/costs. If I recall correctly, when I got my first permit a number of years ago it cost me around $300 -- required class, background check fee, fingerprint fee, application fee, and license fee.

That license is only valid in my home state, and a couple of other states that recognize it unilaterally. I also have licenses/permits from three other states (and the number of other states that recognize non-resident out-of-state permits is shrinking, so those other permits don't get me as much travel coverage as they used to even five years ago).

I don't trade my cars in every few years. 7 years and 150,000 miles is about right.

Guns are a different animal. No need to trade them in. If they get worn out (unlikely) they can always become wall hangers. I buy guns to keep, not trade in. Guns are made to last, They do not have planned obsolescence.

I was born a poor kid in the early fifties but I'm poor no more. One of my basic tenets has been to avoid paying interest on anything that I think will decrease in value. I pay cash for 3-4 year old trucks and keep them for at least 10 years. At that point I've driven the wheels off. I sell em for what I can get and start over. Just sold my wife's 2000 Toyota and it's still in pretty decent shape but, I wouldn't want her to drive it several hundred miles at a stretch.

Never make payments on vehicles, guns, or anything else except land, and you'll be happier when you retire. If you ain't got the cash, you can't afford it.

I remember an old article about trading Magnum revolvers for $40, then about 25%. You can't do that any more. Like the car dealer, they want you to give them yours and buy theirs.

Unless you run into a perfect match, gun for gun, you are not likely to do well.

Back