Why does anyone still wanna buy Colts?

shamster

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by shamster (edited March 31, 2000).]

I can't say much for Kimber's QC either. They sent out a pistol (the one I bought) with 1/4 of the sear engagement surface of the hammer chipped off.

From my experience, the little horsie on the side has better resale value than the swooshie Kimber logo.

Wow, my experience is just the opposite of yours Greg. I always seem to lose money when I sell a Colt 1911, whereas the two Kimbers I have sold/traded I at least broke even on.

Notice the operative word in RikWriter's post regarding his Kimber,broke!Hehehe

Agree the horsy is much cuter and more desirable than the girly kimba logo. Also, the Horsy is usually stamped on a good pistol, unlike so many broke! Kimbers we hear about! Hehehe :D :D :D

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

[This message has been edited by BigG (edited January 12, 2000).]

RikWriter,

A couple of months ago I was trying to trade a Kimber Gold Match, in perfect condition, for a Sig 210. I finally made a deal with a guy who wanted the Kimber and gave me closer to what I had in it.

Prior to that if I had heard one more time, "Well if it was a Colt, I could give you a little more for it", I was gonna scream. Supposedly Kimbers have gotten so plentiful here in the DFW area that their values have dropped.

Based on one experience, I did make a broad
comment about Colt vs Kimber values. I still have a Colt 1991A1 and a stainless Colt Gold Cup Trophy which have given me excellent service and I plan to keep them from now on. :)

[This message has been edited by Greg G (edited January 12, 2000).]

Greg--well, there's the difference between us I guess...I would NEVER get rid of a Gold Match. <g>
Anyway, I had a Colt 1991A1 I had like $400 into, and I tried to sell that thing for a couple weeks for what I had into it, but wound up taking a loss and selling it to a friend after I couldn't even get a nibble.
Also had that experience with a Colt stainless Lightweight Officer's ACP I sold a year ago or so.
On the other hand, I actually got a profit when I had to sell my Kimber Compact Aluminum, and broke even on a trade on a used Classic Custom I just made.

RikWriter,
I got major itch for a Sig 210 and I didn't want to pay cash for the whole amount. I looked through my guns for a trade candidate and the Kimber got elected. I had some duplication there. I don't like to trade or sell guns but I'm extremely happy with the Sig and the guy I traded the Kimber to was happy as a clam.

Greg, I am happy you got the gun. Always wanted to try a SIG P210 but never could bring myself to pony up that kind of cash for a handgun. <g>
Those Swiss sure have a way with guns.

I'm not going to let the bumblings of Colt's current incarnation to deny me the appreciation of their older guns. As for anything they're selling now, I get a bad feeling in my stomach when I think about it.

Okay bottom line Colt makes good firearms ( M1911A1, M-16) But would I buy one today? NO. I Hate People trying to disarm America and when a company jumps in also, I WILL NOT buy a firearm from them.(Pray that Glock & Sig will never become like Colt) If Colt would continue selling handguns to the public I would buy one, but they have gone WAY overboard.

------------------
Trespassers Will Be Shot
Survivors Will Be Shot Again

Didn't Colt try to pull this same crap with civilian sales of AR15's back in the late '80's or early '90s. Whenever it was I know they later crawfished presumably due to loss of sales and customer backlash. Colt's are great guns, but they are not the best,IMHO. I'll stick with companies that seem to appreciate us poor common folks :)

Okay here is a suggestion, if you must buy a colt buy one that is used...

Colt already got their money.

Other than that, buy what you like. I personally dont like Colts, other than my python. My personal preference.

I love my two kimbers, one compact and one full size both stainless. I would not trade them for 6 Colts of any makes even Pythons.

I have a buddy that would not own a Kimber if you gave him 10 million dollars, and he loves his Colts. All of which were bought years ago, the last one was purchased before Thanksgiving.

He and I are great friends and I asked him what he will do now that Colt has sold out on us. He said he will buy Colts that are used or new, when he wants one if the price is right. He says he will not penalize himself for Colts stupidity.

Good words.

Good Shooting

and God Bless

Sincerely

Judge Blackhawk

I am always in the market for excellent to mint condition Colt Mark IV Series '70's and Pre-Series '70's. And the best part of it all is that Donald Zilkha (sp?) doesn't make a dime off of me.

Back