Why does 40 suck?

I like the 40!

I actually enjoy the .40 S&W cartridge.
I have one of the S&W Sigma's that shoots very accurately not to mention I bought it prior to the multiple Sell-Out's to Uncle Sam so I have 15 round mags with mine.
With the range of bullet weights that can be loaded in the 40 why not? It has better stopping power than the popular 9mm and isn't as jumpy as the 10mm.
Popularity seems to be growing and I think the cartridge will be around for years to come.
Many manufactures are producing handguns that chamber the cartridge, which only supports the popularity of the 40.

TS

The .40 has a lot going for it... getting to be a very popular round. I prefer the .45 in full sized autos, but it would be a hard choice between the .40 and the Sig round. The .40s that I have fired (G22 and USP) didn't really bother me in terms of recoil and both seemed as accurate as I was. I would certainly not feel insecure about packing anything chambered in .40.

> What makes the .40 difficult is that the rim
> is so small (9mm) and the mouth is substantially
> larger.

That's the .41AE. Haven't seen a .40 S&W with
a smaller rim.

SigmundSauer, you made some good points most of which are all true. Yes the 9mm is a higher velocity round, and I have no doubts to it penetrating better than a 45 when it comes to body armour, but if that's the issue there are still better rounds out there than a 9mm. But by stepping down in caliber aren't we getting back to the same reason the venerable 1911 was adopted anyway? You remember the saying, those that don't study history are doomed to repeat it.

One key point is this webdebate is to factor in that the rest of the world's populace can be accurately categorized as subjects. As such many do not have access to weaponry and in this case a .380 is an effective round.

Here in America, part in parcel of having freedom is that the Bad Guys can be armed as well or better than the Police. I am always amused when I hear words to the effect: " Well, the rest of the world uses the 9mm so that settles it. " Frankly, this is the largest caliber other nations can use. The reason I have moved away from the 9mm is simple: a Ft. Worth, Texas Police Officer told me to get something larger. That held more weight for me than what a bunch of subjects may do in another country.

In frontline scenarios where BG's have access to whatever they can procure, the .40 still holds its own.

Simple, 40S&W costs more than 45 ammo for me, and its only a little more powerful than 9mm.

high expense with low power is not acceptable.
Box of 115 gr. 9mm luger, $6.50
Box of 230 gr. 45, $10-11
Box of 165 gr. 40, $13-14

.40 sucks because I RELOAD!

The .40 sucks because it's EXACTLY the size between 9mm and .45acp which means it can be mistaken for both when policing up brass.
Ever get a .40 case inside a .45 case when reloading on a Dillon 650XL?
Yup, the machine jams up tight and you have to stop, look around a second and figure out what's wrong, because you can't SEE the problem, then when you figure it out, you have to remove the feed tube, (spill some brass on the floor) put the brass you DIDN'T spill back in the hopper, pick the offending .40 POS brass out of the machine with a pair of forceps, replace the feed tube, get down on the floor and go mining for those four pieces of .45 brass you dropped, re-index the machine, go to the door of the shop and fling the piece of .40 brass as far as you can out into the back field, return to your press and start up again.

I hate .40s and they're BANNED from my reloading area.
Yes, I have a sign on the door that says,
"NO .40 S&W brass beyond this point."
and I STILL get it in there!

Cranky? NO I'm not cranky! WHERE'S MY COFFEE??????
LOL

Wait until you all see the new round that I am working on. This sucker is going to have the bullet size of a 9mm, be more powerful than a .44 magnum with less recoil than a .22, its simply an awesome round that I am sure will take off as soon as it hits the shelves.

Seriously though, I have some .40s that I shoot better than 9mms, some 9mms that I shoot better than my 45s, a big part of this issue comes down to what gun you are using.

My Glock 23 & 27 have proven to me that the .40 is not an inacurate caliber, remember, seeing is beleiving and who here could argue with that. My Sig P-220 has shown me how awesome a .45 can be with the correct package, my Sig P-239 shows how awesome a .40/9mm/.357sig can be when a small gun fits your hand like a glove.

Open up your minds, everything has exceptions.

Jason

I think the .40S&W is just fine. With my Kahr K40 I've got a serious self defense weapon that is as small or smaller than a lot of .380's. Nothing against the .45, I love 'em to death, but I would never carry a .45 concealed - too damn big!

Back