Why do you like bolt action rifles?

easy to clean, simple, and nothing beats quietly placing the round in the chamber, locking it in and pulling the trigger

1. Neck size cases. As a reloader I LOVE being able to just neck size the cases to my bolt gun. Cases last a long time and reloading them is fast vs FL sizing.
2. Ease of maintenance.
3. Will cycle a wide range of loads. A good bolt action will fed just about any shape or length of bullet and at any power level.

as well as

A guy with a bolt action can shoot as fast as he wants to, while the guy with a semi-auto has to wait on the action to cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1yN-3n0FU

As well as brass is much easier to police up, and is not all beaten up.

Wow Malamute, I think you nailed it. Less rounds used and yet, more overall enjoyment at the range ... I agree completely. :)

Manipulating the bolt is engaging especially after a miss at long range and that quick number of seconds to reshoot or just trying not to waste time. That and what you said Kimio the sound of the bolt chambering another round and my favorite of all hearing that spent casing eject with a tiny Shing.

The best thing about bolt actions is that, compared to other actions, you are forced to slow down and pay attention to each shot. With a semi-auto the temptation is always there to send rounds down range at the rapid rate.

[QUOTEWith a semi-auto the temptation is always there to send rounds down range at the rapid rate. ][/QUOTE] I really don't think that's as big of an issue as innerwebland makes it out to be. Unless the new gamer generation has a problem with that. Maybe in the heat of a firefight. But from kids to old-timers- the folks I've shared firing lines with just didn't seem to have that problem in real life, I guess there are exceptions- but "always" may not quite be the right word.

My desire to have a bolt action is proportional to the size, expen$e and recoil of the cartridge.

.308 = I only own a bolt action. A semi-auto would be nice to have, but I can't afford to pop a $1 per shot down the range at rapid velocity, nor would my shoulder appreciate it.

.223 = Fine with either semi-auto or bolt.

.22LR = I love my Marlin 60 ;)

Bolt actions are usually:

1. More accurate than other action types;
2. Have more powerful extractors to pull reloaded shells out more reliably;
3. Don't tend to dry out chambers like semis do...resulting in corrosion that has often incapacitated rifles by tearing off rims when shot in that condition;
4. Allow free-floated barrels for better maintenance of POI;
5. Allow cleaning from the breech end, preserving the crown;
6. Can be made lighter than most other action types;
7. Will chamber reloaded rounds that are a bit tight for other type actions;
8. Easier to inspect chambers to assure the rifle is unloaded;
9. Easy to change stocks and to accurize.

Regarding speed of shooting...I've beaten many people in speed accuracy contests with my bolt rifles, whether running deer or three-shot targets at 50 yards. Practice, practice, practice working the bolt fast from offhand shooting position.

I don't ever recall having a malfunction such as the gun not firing.

They are simple and have a stout action lock up.

My XCR and Stainless Bolt guns are pretty good weather beaters.

Most of them are accurate enough to hunt anything within reason.

A bolt gun spreads the pleasure of shooting over more activities than simply pointing and pulling the trigger.

Although I do have one more "modern" BA with a synthetic stock, all the rest are milsurps. I generally find I enjoy them just fine with iron sights, even with my old eyes (just had to find that sweet spot in the bifocals)

-Heft the gun, feel the smooth wood, smell the faint aroma of oil in a beautiful mechanism
-Think about the hands that have held this gun before you, and honor them as you take your time to "do it right"
-Pull back the bolt, feel the cartridge pick up, appreciate the mechanism for it's simplicity and reliability
-Hear the "Snik, chuk "of chambering and locking, and the satisfaction of KNOWING it's chambered and locked because you did it yourself
-Shove the stock into the sweet spot on the shoulder (carefully because I am a woman LOL)
-Find the target
-Breathe in, breathe out
-Then, pull that sweet trigger through the break
-Feel the kick
-See the accuracy
-Marvel once again at the remarkable achievements of the makers, who didn't have the "benefit" of fine-tuned computer-based building, but had to rely on skill and care
-Rinse, repeat

Springfield 03A3, Model 1898 Krag, VZ24, Enfield No 4 Mk II, Enfield Jungle Carbine, Various 91/30's, Mosin M44, Spanish Mauser, Howa 1500, Couple of straight pulls 96/11 and K31, and a couple of others I am probably forgetting

Don't get me wrong, I am not a self-loader hater - M1 Garand, FN49, SKS, WASR 10/63, Beretta MR1 and the obligatory AR 15 in a couple of flavors, and I love them all, too, but....

The 03A3 just "fits" me and the action of the Krag is smooth like the caress of a soft, early morning summer breeze

Every shot is a pleasurable ritual, and leaves me breathless for the next one

And THAT"s why I love bolt guns :)

You sound like a bunch of control freaks, I love it. I shot my first '03-A3 at age 8. Have been shooting bolt guns for 50 yrs.for all the above mentioned reasons. After reading Vividia's post I had to go for a ride in my F 250 with 6 speed manual trans and my Win. M70 in the easy rider gun rack to calm down a bit. Feeling better now!

Let's not forget, that many Battle Rifles rifles which are still effective in 'trained hands' (around the world), from far outside the AKs (M-4's?) effective range are often WW2 bolt-actions.

There must be a good reason why our military snipers train and use the Rem. 700. Don't they use both .308 and .338?

Last edited:
Let's not forget, that many Battle Rifles rifles which are still effective in 'trained hands' (around the world), from far outside the AKs (M-4's?) effective range are often WW2 bolt-actions.

There must be a good reason why our military snipers train and use the Rem. 700. Don't they use both .308 and .338?

Our military snipers use those calibers as well as .300 WM, .50 BMG, and even the 5.56 NATO. (I still might be missing one or two...)

However, none of them use WWII era bolt action rifles...

Sent from my HTC One X

When I find another action style that will shoot as accurate and be as rugged and dependable as my late Grandfather's old 721 Remington .270, I'll buy it. Of Course, I did buy a Remington 700 BDL in .270 last winter, but that is, after all, just a grandson of Mr. Walker's model 721...:D 3 Rings of USA manufactured Steel, still pretty hard to beat!!!

Rimfires? Not a dang thing. Centerfires? Accuracy hands down. Or maybe I should say my ability to tweek the most outta them. I'll be frank here, if I could get levers and pumps to shoot as accurately as I can bolt actions that's what I'd shoot. If I could get a good accurate semi for the same coin that's what I'd shoot. But alas, it's dang hard to find a bolt action gun on a budget that won't shoot MOA.

Back