"Why do you have that thing?"

Mort

Well, it's happened.

You try to be low-key about being a gun owner, because you're sick of preaching to people who don't care. Now, due to circumstances beyond your control, an acquaintance or co-worker has learned that you have...

A Gun. (Sharp intake of breath here)

And then:

"Why?"

Well, you know why. And so do I. But (and here's the question):

How do you, personally, deal with this situation when you don't want to appear paranoid or antisocial, but you don't want to get into an extended political or sociological debate?

[This message has been edited by Mort (edited March 02, 1999).]

Mort,
Ive never kept a low profile of my gun ownership. Being in college I have had many people ask me why. I simply ask them this question: "You mean that you don't?" I make them feel like the minority. In TN they pretty much are. As far as political debate I just say "God, guns, and guts" made you free. If they want to continue a debate I ask if they ever have shot a gun. They always say no so I then invite them to go shooting with me before they judge it. After all if they judge guns without knowing about them this makes them prejudice. I hope this helps in future conversations.

Two responces, each from a different perspective, immediately come to mind.

Why do you own a set of golf clubs, tennis racket, etc.? The obvious answer is for entertainment and recreation. We get together and shoot for the same reason that people get together and play cards, go to movies or simply share good conversation with friends.

Why do you have locks on your doors, car alarms, etc.? Why do we as a society have a universal emergency telephone number (911)? Certainly not with the intent to do any sort of harm to our fellow man but rather to offer ourselves and families protection in the event that it is needed. We don't wear seat belts while driving because we intend to drive recklessly. We are simply taking advantage of a safety device at our disposal. The list of the things commonly used by both "gun people" and "anti gun people" to protect ourselves is endless.

When I'm asked the same question by someone who sincerely wants to know I invite them to go shoot with me. Most non gun owners get all of their gun information from the media. When actually exposed to the sport in a friendly, relaxed enviroment many will begin to reevaluate their views on private gun ownership.

For those asking simply to start a verbal altercation or seeking a forum to express their own ill informed views nothing that can be said will have any effect. Even then it is always best to remain as patient and level headed as possible in our responces. Don't give them any more ammunition (pun intended) to use against us then that already provided by our media and propaganda mongers.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger,
Your 2nd response,excellence personified. Hope ya don't mind, but I will definetly be using it.

I work as a nurse in the emergency department. As a result of the continuing connivance of the AMA with the pro-tyrrany lobbyists such as HCI, I talk about my gun ownership with the different physicians rotating through the ED. They ask,"You own a gun?"
Answer: No, I don't own a gun...I own fifteen at present and am saving for two more.
Question: Why would anyone need 17 guns?
Answer: Too many guns is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as too many guns. I've never been to a major gun show that had too many guns.

Question: Why do you feel the need to own guns?

Answer: Well, I like fine firearms...but it's not about liking. I target shoot for both practice and enjoyment. But it's not about target shooting. I hunt several species of wildlife...but it's not about hunting. Self defense, you ask? I have had seven close friends and relatives murdered. Partially, it is about self defense of me, my loved ones, and my community. But the main reason I own guns is as the final barrier to tyrrany. If some "man on a horse" wants to start wearing a funny hat around here...he's going to have to do it in spite of me and in spite of millions of my compatriots.

Question: Do you own assault rifles or automatic weapons?

Answer: I own the semiautomatic civilian versions of two military assault rifles and I own a federally licensed submachine gun. Just for your information, I also own a WWII era main battle rifle. It is a bolt action weapon with only a 10 rd. magazine. In skilled hands, it is a much more effective weapon than what is billed as an "assault weapon."

Question: Why in the world would anyone want a machine gun?

Answer: Well, I had this Uzi carbine...a semiautomatic... for several years. Then in 1986, the government decided that that after May 16, 1986 no more of these types of weapon could be modified to selective fire status for legal purchase by the citizenry. Basically, I own a submachine because the government tried to stop me from doing it. So do 186,000 other Americans.

My supervisor (a nice, middle-aged lady) asked me why I carry.

I asked her, "Do you have health insurance?"

"Why, yes."

"Do you get sick a lot?"

"No..."

"Do you expect to get sick?"

"No..."

"Then why do you have it?"

"Well, just in case."

"Thank you; you've just answered your own question."

I ask the person making the inquiry if they have any smoke alarms in their home. Most people do, so then I ask if they have a fire extinguisher as well. You would be amazed at how many people don't!
I then ask them what they plan to do if their kitchen catches fire. Do they plan on trying to put out the blaze, or will they just stand by helplessly, waiting for the fire dept. to show up as their home and all their worldly possessions are consumed by a fire they probably could have put out very easily if they only had the proper equipment (a fire extinguisher) readily at hand?
I point out that even in a best case scenario, the fire dept. or the police are a good 5-10 minutes away. In that amount of time a fire could spread to the point where you would lose everything... or everybody in your home could be butchered by a psychopath! I was never a Boy Scout, but I do believe in being prepared.

I answer the question with "Because I can. Free men and women own arms. Slaves don't and can't." Then I ask them if they know why the Revolutionary War started and after they tell me about taxes and tea parties, I remind them it was when the British marched on Concord to seize the arms of the citizens.
I then ask them if they know the history of "gun control" in this country and when they say no I tell them that the original laws enacted restricting firearms ownership were directed against both slaves and free African Americans. Most, if not all "gun control" laws are racist by history and intent. Therefore those that suggest such laws are racists.

Remember: FREE MEN OWN ARMS, SLAVES DO NOT AND CAN NOT!

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited March 02, 1999).]

One of my favorite comebacks to "Why do you have/carry/own that?"
is to explain the circumstances of my ownership of that gun.

"oh, well, I thought it was a well made gun and it was at a charity auction, so I bought it."

"It's hard to beat 13 rounds of .40 in a package this size."

"It's basically the same gun that was just adopted by the Unitied States Special Forces Command."

"Oh,that.... Why? Don't you like single actions?"

"My wife got it for me for Xmas."

"It was my Dad's."

etc,etc,etc....

Then follow wherever the conversation goes, perhaps with some of the other types of things previously mentioned in this thread.

I am anything but low-key about carrying a gun. While it adds a certain tactical edge to not ever let anyone know you have a gun, nomatter what. I feel it is much more important to let people know that carrying is an every day, law-abiding citizen, go grocery shopping, pick up the kids kinda thing.
I wear Glock pins to non-shooting events on my sportscoat, I wear shooting/gun related hats & Jackets. During the summer I often wear gun company or shooting team polo shirts.

I worked in an office setting for a time, before I went into business for myself and it was not unusual for me to remove my jacket when in my own office, which left me in an open carry situation, so, the conversation came up often. Once it was implied to a co-worker that I wore a gun to intimidate other co-workers. We put out a memo later that week encouraging everyone to come to an office "range day" and put some CCW class bulletins in the break area, making sure that everyone knew they were welcome to carry if they wanted to learn how.

I try to downplay the idea that I need to explain having a gun at all. Sometimes, you run into someone who has an agenda of their own and they may have rehearsed their tactics against the standard "why I have a gun" arguments. They are really taken aback when you skip the whole argument and try to "talk guns" with them.

Rob -

Intimidating your cow-orkers by carrying? As in, "Do what I tell you or I'll shoot you"?

Boggle. Doesn't sound like the sort of place I'd want to work for.

Fortunately, although my employer forbids firearms on their property, fully half of my compatriots are gunnies. We don't *need* to set up range days; most of us are there every Saturday anyway :).

Well, I was one of the top people in the office and the CEO was one of my best friends, so I don't know I was I was supposed to be intimidating, but that is beside the point.

It was really just a whining punk that made the comment, but we decided to get proactive by making sure that everyone knew we had a pro-gun environment and that anyone with a CCW could feel free to carry at work. There was never a formal accusation made. It was more like an off the cuff (and incredibly stupid) comment made in the break room about how certain people only listened to me because I was wearing a gun. It was really quite juvenile and the person who said it was not employed by our company very much longer because of an unrelated, but equally stupid, incident.

The reply I usually use is something like this:

I am a collector of (modern) firearms. The guns I collect are different from each other. The cost, look, feel, mechanical function, shooting function and shooting performance are not the same for each firearm. I don't see a big difference between my hobby and collecting stamps, Beanie Babies, motorcycles, cars, etc.

The problem with stamps and Beanie Babies is that after they are bought, all you can do with them is put them in a book or on a shelf. Sure they will increase in value but so will most of my guns. The problem with motor vehicles is, of course, cost. Guns sure are cheaper.

Shooting is also similar to golf and bowling. The objects of which are to get the lowest or highest score. There are two factors to achieve this. The human factor, you, and quality equipment. Equipment is a fixed quantity. You, on the other hand, will be up and down. Plus, no matter how good you are there always is or will be someone better than you. Personally, I just try to beat my last score instead of someone elses for the simple reason that probably everybody else can shoot rings around me.

There's also hunting, which is another issue for another time.

The biggest factor, however, for collecting and shooting is IT'S FUUUN. If you want to try it out some time just give me a ring and I'll provide all the guns, ammo, protection, and instructions.

------------------

Man, it continually amazes me how great you guys are whenever anyone asks a question. This is one of the greatest places on the internet. You have just given me a wealth of knowledge.

Just when you thought you couldn't influence anyone....

Last night I taught the first session of a First Aid/CPR class. As I introduced myself, I stated I am an EMT, Instr/Trnr w/National Safety Council & American Heart Assn, etc. etc.

At the end I also state I have been certified by the Texas Department of Public Safety (slight pause) as a Concealed Handgun Instructor.

(Gasp - as stated above.)

School teacher in my class asks, "Why? yada, yada."

Thanks to this thread I was ready with, "I'm in the business of saving lives. First Aid, CPR, and my EMT skills only help those who are already injured - maybe even near death. Teaching CHL classes improves firearm safety, reduces firearms accidents - especially with children - and decreases ALL crime - especially violent crime. The more good citizens who go armed, the fewer injuries and deaths occur. Even the FBI agrees with that."

She: "So do you go around toting your gun everywhere?" (snicker and sneer)

Me: "No. But it is a Concealed Handgun Law - so the bad guys are never sure. As a woman, you're safer from crime because SOME women are now carrying guns. The bad guys are less likely to hurt you whether you believe in self-protection or not. That's why rapes are way down and dropping in Texas..

By the way, do you drive?"

She: "Of course I drive. Do you think women can't drive?"

Me: Do you wear a seatbelt?"

She: "Of course! The way some people drive I'd be afraid NOT to!"

I smile & wait.

She: "Oh."

Another student then asked when my next CHL class will be held.

Thanks, guys, we got at least one...

That made my day!

Local CCW is inthe balance...I suspect the localpoliticos won't her the house/sentate bills OR, more likely, hear a bill that will make matter even worse. Any of you out in shall-issue states, can you help me find a job as a web deisgner/art director?

All great answers, and I'll be using them.
I usually cut to the moment of truth, and ask the person to imagine what every rape and murder victim must have been thinking when they realized they were in big trouble:
"if i only had a gun if i only had a gun if i only had a gun..."

-boing

Response #1:

"Why not?"

Response #2:

"Why, do you have a problem with it?"

Response #3:

"Because this is who I am. These tools are not only a physical manifestation of my being, but an extension of my personal expression. Tools doesn't make me. But they are a part of me. Besides, I like them. See how shiney it is? Aren't they pretty?"

(Disclaimer: The above was written tongue-in-cheek.)

[This message has been edited by SB (edited March 05, 1999).]

Why do I carry a gun?
Read the papers. The are some nasty people in this world and I have simply decided not to be a victim.

Back