Why do we keep doing this ?

I have 4 children ( all grown now) and 7 grandkids ages 3 to 17 years old, along with 6 other kids that might as well be mine with all the meals I fed them when they were growing up. None of them have ever been in the scouting organizations, and thus have missed out on a lot of what that brings to a kid.

I was an Eagle scout when I was younger, and loved every minute of it, so through the years, I have managed to bring a lot of the skills I learned from knot tying to tracking game, to fire starting, to you name it, and they have learned a lot of things from me through the years. This is not meant to be a brag, but I have been these kids hero, for a lot of years, and they would not let me stay home from deer camp if they had to carry me there.

I have a great time with them every year, and whether I actually shot a round at all, I would enjoy the weeks we spend together. I'm glad to hear others that have this same frame of mind, as probably the best thing a man can be remembered for at his passing, is the memories and skills he leaves others that they will reflect on and hopefully pass on to their children.

'cause its FUN!!!! By the end of the year, it gets real expensive if you engage in other sports too (fishing, skiing, automobile racing, etc.).

Well, here is my simple thoughts. I quit smoking/dipping and quit drinking. Hunting/guns is one of my few vices that won't kill me slowly lol. After looking at the OP figures, made me realize how much I saved by processing my own meat. Figure my cuber was $200, grinder was $500, and professional butcher grade slicer that I did some gun tuning and testing for. In roughly 2 years, all my equipment is paid for. Heck when I was in High School, it paid for it self in one season. My dad and I rolled 20 between the two of us. Had a over population problem. One thing I do know, the day I don't get the shakes and excited everytime I put the crosshairs on any game, I'll quit hunting and take up basketweaving or something lol.

Over multiple trips...
ammo cost $100
vehicle expenses $600
travel expenses $200
incidental expenses $100

The value of being able to be gone when the MIL visits - PRICELESS

[/QUOTE]The value of being able to be gone when the MIL visits - PRICELESS [/QUOTE]

Come to think about it, hunting isn't really that expensive after all. :D

Well, it can be done a lot cheaper.
I use a ML with iron sights for all white tail hunting now. I bought a $150 dollar sight for a rifle a few years ago and it was more than enough.
Process my own deer.
Usually hunt a local public area during bow, bonus, and ML season. Only making the three hour drive to private land during gun season.

Last edited:
Really, to me the money was the least part of the deal. It's all the outdoor stuff and campfire doings that make it all worthwhile.

Messing with critters when sneaky-snaking, sitting around in a stand or on a hillside and watching the world, swapping stories in the evening...

Standing by the campfire with a drink, a beer or a cup of coffee, slowly doing the "vertical rotisserie" game to stay warm...

Heck, staring at the coals from a small fire when I'm on a solo hunt, thinking about the hundreds of generations of hunters who have done the same before me...

Worth every penny...

There's just something about hearing that high power rifle echo through the hills & the sound of a chain saw in the distance not to forget the smell of ham & eggs & coffee on the camp fire.I could care less about the cost,I feel BLESSED just to be able to do it.A real country boy I'AM.
There is to much other stuff to complain about other than time in the COUNTRY!!!!:D

I think what keeps me going back is the sense of comradeship I get with my hunting buddies.

I feel closer to a friend of mine, who I have spent hours standing in freezing water, not seeing any ducks, and making tenative plans to "do something later tonight."

Or looking out over an empty field for an entire night hoping to see a coyote.

And then there is the ever popular I took my little sister hunting story, and enjoyed having her around deer camp, and how my field jacket swallowed her up and my wool socks went to her knees. I treasure moments like that.

My cost per lb of fish last year---$16-$18
Cost of Venison last year--------$10 +-

We sure dont do it for the cheap cost of living. I must admit that beer and wine costs drove the cost per lb of meat ski high. New quad this year is going to really drive my per lb cost through the roof. Im already $7k in the hole :eek: before I even climb the stand.
You cant put a value on a week in the woods with your kids and close friends.
I have eaten in 5 Star restaurants and paid $100+ per plate. Not even close to the quality and taste of a marinated back strap cooked on an open fire with a few glasses of homemade wine.

Black tail deer hunting has gotten near impossible around here. All the deer move into town about the beginning of hunting season and stay until spring. The pass through all year so they can dine on all the gardens and rose bushes...

I've given up on deer hunting. It's just not worth it. This year I've had personal issues so I didn't get to go salmon fishing but fishing has always been more productive for me than hunting...

Tony

I normally hunt three states. Oregon Idaho and Washington. That being said I have no clue as to what a "hunting lease" is or why you would need "seed, diesel and fertilizer.". I hunt wilderness almost excluesively now and that means lots of walking. I get three deer a year and 2-3 elk a year. Now the most costly part of my hunts are just the tags. Oregon gives me my hunting liscenses for free as I am a disabled veteran and Idaho and Washington its about $350.00 *roughly* for the liscenses and then about 300 or so for each tag. Oregon is 22.50 for Elk and about 25 for deer. That being said I do to get to enjoy a very high kill ratio. A mule deer yields about 65-90 lbs of meat each. A elk is up around 350 lbs of meat. I dont know about anyone else but you come to eat at my house and you wont ever get beef. I process all my meat myself, so only cost there was the initial equipment cost and then all the pork fat i grind into my elk burger. Fuel costs are about 150 or so for 1 trip. I dont count food or that stuff because I would be eating at home anyways. So if i get three elk a year ,normally i do, then that would average out to $1.70 or so a pound just for the elk. Way cheaper then beef. The deer are just extras since i have to buy the licences anyways. There will be nay sayers just because they wont believe my sucsess ratio but thats just how it is where i go. They might not all be "trophies" but they are all food in the freezer. I hunt alone and take just the very basics with me for food. But when im out there i have to admit i find a peace that i havent had since i was a kid. Sleeping bag under the stars on the side of a mountain is my favorite place to sleep. Thats my temple. A small fire out of twigs and sticks with a well blackened metal coffee cup heating some water is the best thing in the world to wake up to. Someday i hope my son will be up to going but at 7 years old he isnt ready for the wilderness yet.

Last edited:
I lease 1765 acres with seven other guys. I planted about 12 acres of wheat just to feed the deer. They seem to like it. I haven't killed a deer in four years and might not this year. But, I like going over there and piddling around. It is not unusual to see 10 deer or more most any afternoon. Fact is, I could kill deer until I was sick of it and never leave my deck. But, it isn't the same.

You are kidding right?

to answer the OP 9.22/lb is pretty good, but I prefer to figure the cost benefit by dollars/day spent hunting. btw you didn't include license cost for my son and I hunting out of state that's another $280. :-(
Personally I've been skunked the last 3 years but being with my son and seeing him fill his tag - PRICELESS
good luck all !

I make the same argument to some friends who claim it's necessary to put food on their table, although they end up spending more on their weekend outing than they gain from the meat they bring home.

I have no problem with people who choose to hunt or even enjoy it, but personally I don't get any enjoyment from killing animals for sport. Steel plates suite me well enough.

I normally hunt three states. Oregon Idaho and Washington. That being said I have no clue as to what a "hunting lease" is or why you would need "seed, diesel and fertilizer.". I hunt wilderness almost excluesively now and that means lots of walking. I get three deer a year and 2-3 elk a year. Now the most costly part of my hunts are just the tags. Oregon gives me my hunting liscenses for free as I am a disabled veteran and Idaho and Washington its about $350.00 *roughly* for the liscenses and then about 300 or so for each tag. Oregon is 22.50 for Elk and about 25 for deer. That being said I do to get to enjoy a very high kill ratio. A mule deer yields about 65-90 lbs of meat each. A elk is up around 350 lbs of meat. I dont know about anyone else but you come to eat at my house and you wont ever get beef. I process all my meat myself, so only cost there was the initial equipment cost and then all the pork fat i grind into my elk burger. Fuel costs are about 150 or so for 1 trip. I dont count food or that stuff because I would be eating at home anyways. So if i get three elk a year ,normally i do, then that would average out to $1.70 or so a pound just for the elk. Way cheaper then beef. The deer are just extras since i have to buy the licences anyways. There will be nay sayers just because they wont believe my sucsess ratio but thats just how it is where i go. They might not all be "trophies" but they are all food in the freezer. I hunt alone and take just the very basics with me for food. But when im out there i have to admit i find a peace that i havent had since i was a kid. Sleeping bag under the stars on the side of a mountain is my favorite place to sleep. Thats my temple. A small fire out of twigs and sticks with a well blackened metal coffee cup heating some water is the best thing in the world to wake up to. Someday i hope my son will be up to going but at 7 years old he isnt ready for the wilderness yet.

Fella..That sounds awesome....

I was raised hunting..by my Dad and Uncles....It has always been the thing to do..and I enjoy it....Game has always been plentiful....I could do things way cheaper than I do..but I don't....Oh well! I was taught hunting and outdoor skills..and I wanna pass that on to my kids and G-kids....I have a 5 year old Grandson now..that is totally ate up with it....I'm kinda into makin some memories in the field with him....

Thanks Keg. The next generation is the one that will make the difference when it comes to hunting or any of the shooting sports. Teach them young and teach them often. Because once we are gone thats all that will be left to carry the banner of freedom and love of country.

K.C., Oregon is like 2 different states. The mule deer in the eastern mountains are way different than the nocturnal black tail we have here in the western side of the state.

I live about 3 miles from the coast in NW OR, and I see them in my yard all the time but finding one out in the wild areas is near impossible during hunting season. The deer here are becoming an urban species like racoons...

Tony

I hunt from my land and process it my self or with help of my brother. The land and house are paid for so the only expense is ammo and licences/tags... that is pretty cheep meat.

p.s. I reload so that helps too. The deer here are mule deer so they are pretty big.

Back