Why do I not own a 1911? Yet? Maybe someday?

I no longer own my custom bullseye 1911 because I stopped shooting club level bullseye competition league. My interests changed to handgun hunting and my philosophy is guns are for shooting. A nice young man needed what I had and the gun was passed along. After owning a custom 1911, my tastes in all firearms have become spoiled. 1911 trigger pull is the gold standard all other handguns are measured by.

I find my handgun hunting interest is waning in favor of pheasant hunting and my interest in fine shotguns is growing. My interest in big bore handguns is giving way to smaller and less punishing rounds. I am still glad I have been fortunate enough to experience some of the finest hand cannons made. But… my interests are moving on.

That’s how I am, I like to get to a high level but don’t have the patience to stick with an activity for the decades required to get from 95% to 98%.

The 1911 has created more hardcore Glock fans than any other semi-auto platform to date.

Pretty much sez it all, dudes. :rolleyes:

The 1911 has created more hardcore Glock fans than any other semi-auto platform to date.

False.

The company's choice in advertising banner and the firearm itself created the hardcore fans.

And this is coming from a hardcore 1911 fan...

Huh? Is that a quote, if so where from and what is it based on? I think I understand what you are getting at, but I believe you are wrong.

Please keep the conversation respectful before the staff steps in.

My brother has a G19, I got to try it a few years ago....

It's not a requirement. I've never been bitten by that particular bug. I've shot a few 1911s but I just never wanted one badly enough to actually spend the money.
At one time I briefly had the 1911 bug. Sold most of them. Have a few left that I never shoot. Would sell them if I had not promised them to my sons when they get older.

Last edited:
I've got a Springfield Mil Spec 1911 A1.

Like it, but not shot it in quite a few years as when I go .45 I prefer to shoot either my S&W Model 1917 or my S&W 4506.

I also have a Polish Radom, which was based on both the 1911 and the High Power and which is, in my opinion, better than either in some ways.

Chadio requested it, now I'm requesting it...

Keep the discourse polite and don't be going out of your way to bait other posters.

That's called a hint.

I had no use for military type pistols when I was a kid. When I came home from RVn I fooled with 1911s and had new Gold Cup & had match gun built ala BoMar. Got away from them in handgun hunting and just didn’t need one.
Now with present social situation I decided I needed a crowd pleaser. All I own are big heavy revolvers. So I decided I needed a 1911. As usual ended up with a few but since dust has settled only kept 3. I only interested in 1970s models or older. Two Commanders & a Govt and I’m not done culling yet. I only need one.
Also after 53 yrs I broke down a bought an AR & 1K of GI ammo. All my rifles are classic type sporting weapons. Closest thing I had to military guns are sporters made up on 98 mausers, 03 Springfields, ect. My 223 is a single shot Ruger.
Never said I didn’t know how to use these guns, just never had use for them and hope I don’t.

Based on this post, I’ve started perusing 1911s
I could be wrong but they seem to be much slimmer than other large pistols such as the beretta M9 types.

Correct. Even though the 1911 is chambered for a much larger cartridge. When the military adopted the M9, they had to also adopt a larger holster.

Chadio--is this in response to my response to your request on the semi-auto rifle thread? I was only kidding, dude. Well, not really...;)

Now when you were asking about AK's I told you you would be happy with a Zastava--was I right?:)

There are tons of great handguns--some that might shoot better than an 1911; but if you get a 1911 with a dancing pony on it you will be a happy owner of an American beauty with no regrets.:)

Married to mine until death do us part.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6460.jpg
    IMG_6460.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
I've handled a few 1911s. I've owned a couple 1911A1s and some Colt Govt Models, and several 1911A1 pattern guns from other makers.

I'm down to one now, the Colt Govt Model that I inherited from my Father, gun made in the pre "series" days and set up with match sights and trigger sometime in the late 60s or very early 70s.

Trigger is sweet, not matched by any other service class semi auto I've ever had, and the gun shoots 5 shots into one ragged hole at 25yds, if I do my part right.

By choice today, I'd carry my Browning BDA .45 (Sig P220) but other than being a bit larger and heavier, I have no qualms carrying my Govt Model if required.

I've owned about a dozen 1911s over the years, including models from RIA, Kimber, Ruger, Tisas, and Springfield. The only one I've had issues with was my the Kimber Custom II.

I'm currently down to 3 Springfields and a Tisas 1911A1 Army model. I've found that Springfield's are a very solid choice in the $1500 and under price range, but the two Tisas I've owned have been excellent as well, especially at the price point. If someone is curious about the platform and wants to get into it at a reasonable price, I highly recommend them. The B45 Duty/Carry models can be had under $500.

I've owned about a dozen 1911s over the years, including models from RIA, Kimber, Ruger, Tisas, and Springfield. The only one I've had issues with was my the Kimber Custom II.

I'm currently down to 3 Springfields and a Tisas 1911A1 Army model. I've found that Springfield's are a very solid choice in the $1500 and under price range, but the two Tisas I've owned have been excellent as well, especially at the price point. If someone is curious about the platform and wants to get into it at a reasonable price, I highly recommend them. The B45 Duty/Carry models can be had under $500.
I don't know about Tisas, never seen one in action, but I agree about Springfield. I also had a Kimber Custom Ii that was a piece of crap. It was a pure jamomatic. I finally messed around with it enough to make it a shooter. I had to lap and polish frame and slide rails. Alter feed ramp angle, re-fit a new barrel bushing. For what I did to that pistol, I could have started out with a $400 import and been just as well off I was going to send it back to Kimber, but several guys I shot with assured me that it would return in worse shape than it left.

I don't own a 1911 because as much as I'd like to own one, as cool/iconic as they are, there has always been another firearm that I wanted more. Even right now, to this very day, if I had the money for a 1911 and there was nothing else that I needed, I would still buy another firearm.

Eventually I'll probably buy a nice entry level 1911 like one of those made by Tisas, just to scratch the itch, but I just can't see myself ever paying a lot of money for a Colt or some other expensive 1911.

Exact same feeling towards them as Forte S+W.

Sounds like you would enjoy one though and it would have a lot more difference than your Beretta/Sig combo now.

Back