Why do I not own a 1911? Yet? Maybe someday?

chadio

In my Navy days, bootcamp, (circa '89 ) we were taught gun safety, marksmanship and handed a .22 1911.

Later, upon being assigned to my ship CG-63, I was a member of the ship security force. Got to qualify with the .45 1911. Also had the opportunity to shoot for the pistol ribbon.

My current centerfire pistols are a German SIG Sauer P226 and Italian Beretta 92FS. Absolutely head - over - heels in love with them both, the history, the heritage, military significance.

Since the 1911 was my 'first' ... why don't I own one? Two reasons
1) I can't decide which one I want in the endless sea of 1911's
2) it will never be the same as my Navy job to qualify and carry one

To all 1911 people, you really have something special.

I was issued a 1911 in the Marine Corps. We trained and fired these, semi-customized models prior to deployments. I had a civilian 80's series Colt Gold Cup as a personal firearm in those days. When I got out of the service I sold that Gold Cup when I was finishing a degree and broke. I always missed that Gold Cup, and was sorry I sold it. I bought a Kimber a few years back to replace it, but it didn't have the same allure for me. One day I did a Google search for a Gold Cup, two hours drive one popped up. It had the same grips and was identical to my old gun in every way, except it was in better condition. I drove down and traded the Kimber for the Gold Cup, the shop owner sure I was an idiot. I'm very happy to have it in my little collection. I don't shoot it very often, it's a nostalgia piece.
I'm sure you can find an old issue 1911 for sale, maybe on the CMP website, maybe elsewhere. It's nice to have some of one's own history nearby.

Life is short, why deny yourself something that you want? Since the choices are many, you will probably need to get a few different ones to cover all the bases.

I have a few 1911's (along with some other old stuff):
IMG_9565-XL.jpg

Why don't I own a 1911?

Because I'm not very fond of single-action duty weapons.

I much prefer a DA/SA action with exposed hammer,,,
A de-cocker makes them even better.

Aarond

It's not a requirement. I've never been bitten by that particular bug. I've shot a few 1911s but I just never wanted one badly enough to actually spend the money.

I shot the .22 1911 in navy boot as well but never bought one until years later. When I did I didn't shoot them too well. After Giving them another try recently I did very well with them. Now, out of three handguns, two are commander 1911s in .45 acp and planning on a third soon. I prefer single action triggers and despise double action triggers.

I’ve been real happy with mine.

Even have the baby government model.

Attachments

• 9911181B-513E-4A69-A8A2-BC0F3CEA6D5F.jpeg
    9911181B-513E-4A69-A8A2-BC0F3CEA6D5F.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 65
  • D78FDE24-38CE-4BF8-B8D4-C8520C24AC61.jpeg
    D78FDE24-38CE-4BF8-B8D4-C8520C24AC61.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 61
There’s lots of good reasons to own and enjoy a 1911. Even a low-end 1911 (if it feeds and functions reliably) is enjoyable and if I have to pick one reason, it’s simply because the trigger geometry is just fantastic.

MUST a handgun lover own a 1911? I don’t think so. I wouldn’t say a guy is crazy if he loves handguns but doesn’t own a 1911. However I will say that any guy who considers himself a handgun lover and doesn’t own a .357 Magnum revolver is completely nuts. :D Just my take.

Like I mentioned in your rifle post:
I just like my Beretta 92fs so much that I haven’t felt the need to get a 1911. I think 1911s are cool and all.
I’ve just had the Beretta on my side so long, it feels like a part of me lol.

Nathan said:
Even have the baby government model.
Which, of course, is not a 1911.

Nothing against it -- I owned its little brother, the Colt Mustang, for many years -- but it isn't a 1911 action, it's a copy of a Spanish pistol.

Aguila Blanca said:
Which, of course, is not a 1911.

Nothing against it -- I owned its little brother, the Colt Mustang, for many years -- but it isn't a 1911 action, it's a copy of a Spanish pistol.

Totally agree, but still fun. What pistol did they copy?

For me, the allure of the 1911 is the brilliant engineering, history, beauty, durability, and endurance; there are still, 100+ years later, few guns that can do anything as well as the 1911 can do everything.
I have 1911s in 3.5", 4.25", 5", and 6" barrel lengths.
Steel frames, and aluminum frames.
.22, .38 Super, 10mm, .45 ACP, and .45 Super.
All have virtually identical feel, and triggers in the 3.25#-4# range.
Anything I do with one, in the sense of handling, transfers directly to the others.
Handguns are difficult enough to shoot, so why hinder yourself with bad triggers, bad fit, etc.?

As a "starter" 1911, I'd get a classic, all-steel, 5", .45, and would skip anything that has cheapness about it; pride of ownership is a large part of the allure, and I can't take pride in something with poor fit, or covered in paint.

The new Springfield Armory Garrison appears to be a very good example of the classic, "Everything you need, and nothing you don't", at a good price, from a long-time, well respected manufacturer.

My camera isn't the greatest, but I think people still like photos... even the ones that are mediocre :D

Yes, a 1911 is missing ... as I mentioned before, there are so many different ones that it would be hard to choose. My small family has served me well

Attachments

• WP_20220321_001.jpg
    WP_20220321_001.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 81
Why do I not own a 1911? Yet? Maybe someday?

No need to own one, for sure. I am a collector of 45 hammer-fired, so I have one 1911, and 5 other hammer-fired 45s. I shoot them all, and the 1911 is
quickly becoming my favorite non-red dot pistol.
I was impressed with the Rock Island Armory match elite or whatever they call
their target offering.
The only things for a target shooter are sights and triggers-:cool:that you can get in abundance in 1911.

1911's are fantastic guns. I had one years back and would like to have one again, but I'm not sure if or when I will. If I get one it will be in 45acp and I don't want another cartridge to have to stock/reload for. maybe thats a bad reason, but right now, I just cant justify it.

Back