Why do a lot of people like the .44mag over the .454 ?

A 400 grain bullet has a lot more momentum than a 240 grain bullet and it's momentum that determines gun recoil.
Compare the recoil of a .22-250 rifle to the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun shooting target loads and you'll see what I mean. 1-1/8 ounces of shot @ 1145 fps has 1431 ft lb of energy.
A typical factory-loaded .22-250 Remington shoots a 55 grain bullet at 3,680 fps with 1,654 ft. lb of energy.
But the 12 gauge kicks a lot more in spite of the fact that it delivers less energy and burns less gunpowder.

A 400 grain bullet has a lot more momentum than a 240 grain bullet and it's momentum that determines gun recoil.
Compare the recoil of a .22-250 rifle to the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun shooting target loads and you'll see what I mean. 1-1/8 ounces of shot @ 1145 fps has 1431 ft lb of energy.
A typical factory-loaded .22-250 Remington shoots a 55 grain bullet at 3,680 fps with 1,654 ft. lb of energy.
But the 12 gauge kicks a lot more in spite of the fact that it delivers less energy and burns less gunpowder.

Well, felt recoil is subjective and it's felt recoil that most people object to in the 454.

As for the 400 grain load, it's one of the nicest shooting of all the loads I have worked up. I can't tell you why but it shoots a lot nicer than a 300 grain WFNGC at 2000 feet.

The felt recoil isn't bad at all.

It's like someone preferring a 230 grain 45 to a 165 40 S&W. The recoil is different.

I was talking factory loads.........The next time I shoot my .454 with one hand Ill get video. Its not bad at all.

I know a .460 is more powerful, I used to own one.

Thanks,,,,I understand recoil.

The Ruger Super Blackhawk I used to own was actually more comfortable to shoot one handed than two handed, I just couldn't shoot as accurately that way.

Also, if I just want to blow the load out of a muzzle loading shotgun without experiencing the recoil, I shoot it off my shoulder just holding it like a pistol. The recoil is a lot more pleasant that way.

I was talking factory loads.........The next time I shoot my .454 with one hand Ill get video. Its not bad at all.

I know a .460 is more powerful, I used to own one.

Thanks,,,,I understand recoil.

I wasn't suggesting you didn't understand recoil, just that it's the most often cited as to why people don't like the 454 is all.

My point was that even with a great deal more energy, I favor the recoil of the 460 over the 454. You feel different, it's why they say recoil is subjective.

Some people love the Glock 20, I hate mine cause it hurts my finger every time I shoot it.

Gotcha,,,,Like I said I had the S&W .460 and didn't like it.

Couldn't find ANY factory ammo that would group good enough to hunt with.

The recoil was a bit more than the .454 but not that much more. (To me)

I'm going to the hunting club tomorrow, so Ill get some video of me shooting the Taurus Raging Bull .454 with one hand. Just want to show how mild it is.......

so Ill get some video of me shooting the Taurus Raging Bull .454 with one hand. Just want to show how mild it is.......

Mild is in the mind, and hands of the shooter. You're used to it, its mild, to you. To someone else, maybe not so much!!

I have a 14" Contender .45-70, with all the little holes at the muzzle to reduce the recoil, and a red dot sight. Rubber grips. I shoot a 400gr cast, using the old Lyman "factory duplication load" (black powder speed).

I describe the recoil as stout, but not really punishing. BUT, that for me, and I'm experienced with it.

A young friend was watching me shoot it one time, and he wanted to try it. I shot it one handed, so he could see what it did, in my hands...

He shot it, and wacked himself in the nose with the red dot sight :eek:. Bled quite a bit!! We both had a good laugh, me a bit more than he did, of course.

he did hit the target. He said he had locked his wrists, but didn't lock his elbows, as he didn't expect as much recoil as he got, watching me shoot it.

After we got the bleeding stopped, he shot it again, and that time, he controlled it much better. Also hit the plate we were shooting at.

My point here is, that we shoot our hand cannons, and we get used to them, and what isn't "a lot" for us can be a huge amount for someone who hasn't had the same level of practice.

The Freedom Arms .454 is basically the same weight as a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag. So no, a .454 doesn't have to be a big heavy gun.

This round just begs to be hand loaded. Aside from the enormous cost savings, you can change the power level to whatever you want. Who says ya have to shoot a steady diet of 260 grainers at 2100 fps? The same bullet at 700 fps is downright fun for plinking. Push it around 1100-1300 fps and it's fun in a different way- ya get satisfying power without being punishing.

I've also noticed that heavy bullets with a max charge of powder don't seem to kick as bad as light bullets at max velocities. More of a big shove.

I also bougt a Rossi '92 in .454. With "cowboy" .45 Colt loads it feels like a popgun. One of these days I might take it squirrel hunting, because I can load those cheaper than buying the CCI .22lr mini-mags that my 10/22 likes. But if I load it with 325 grainers at over 2200 fps, it's easily within .45-70 territory, except the gun is light & compact, and holds 11 shells.

Push it around 1100-1300 fps and it's fun in a different way- ya get satisfying power without being punishing.

Which is what the famous "Ruger Only" loads deliver.

Just be sure to understand that "Ruger Only" loads were developed back when there was only ONE Ruger gun in .45 Colt. Today, there are more than one Ruger .45 Colt, and not all are suitable for the "Ruger Only" level loads.

Yeah, that's kinda the point. If ya don't wanna shoot a steady diet of heavy .454's, just think of the gun as a really, really strong .45 Colt, that ya don't have to worry about blowing up or wearing out with those Ruger Only Colt loads.

The main reason I like loads in that range is not because of recoil, but rather cost. Full power loads need relatively expensive bullets to take the pressure (I don't cast my own, and don't plan to unless I get desperate). Drop the pressure levels down into hot .45 Colt range though, and you can use cheap bulk cast bullets. They also only use half as much powder.

Retiree here. I don't need to prove anything and don't enjoy the recoil of anything greater than 44 Mag. Mel Tappan developed carpal tunnnel from a lifetime of shooting magnums. I don't need to go down that path.

Back