Why buy a 380?

well lets be resonable here..

If your far enough away from me to where I NEED to aim, and I cant just put my pistol in your gut, WHY AM I NOT TRYING TO RUN AWAY? When somone is going to rob you, they dont shout at you from 15-20 feet away, they come up on you and jam a gun or knife into you and make their demands.

I think Ruger/kel tec/NAA etc agree with me on this matter jusdging by there lack of sights on their pocket pistols. Im not saying what your stating is wrong, but for the type of gun we are talking about here, they are not designed to be aimed really. They are point and shoot pistols.

If your far enough away from me to where I NEED to aim, and I cant just put my pistol in your gut, WHY AM I NOT TRYING TO RUN AWAY? When somone is going to rob you, they dont shout at you from 15-20 feet away, they come up on you and jam a gun or knife into you and make their demands.

This is not meant in jest or with insult, but the above statement sounds like the sentiment of a person who has never had to defend themselves against someone who wants your life.

How far does it take to close 21 feet? The Tueller Drill says 1.5 seconds on average. And what if your assailant is 10-15 feet away with a knife and currently closing that distance? Not unheard of for someone to be threatening you. Are you going to turn your back on said assailant and try to run? You'd be an idiot if you tried. At this point, you open the distance between you by moving backward, draw your weapon, Take Aim, and prepare to fire until he stops. It might be awfully hard to train to do that if you're shooting 230grain .45acp rounds out of a 12 ounce 2.5" pistol.

Especially if... God forbid...

...there's 2 of them.

I think Ruger/kel tec/NAA etc agree with me on this matter jusdging by there lack of sights on their pocket pistols. Im not saying what your stating is wrong, but for the type of gun we are talking about here, they are not designed to be aimed really. They are point and shoot pistols.

The lowering and rounding of sights on "pocket pistols" is an outgrowth of the growing popularity of carrying them in pockets. High-profile sights tend to snag on loose fabric like the lip of a pants or jacket pocket; and may add significant recovery time to your draw/fire time, or... god forbid... cause you to drop your weapon. Low-profile/rounded sights (like the terrible, but ever-popular "dovetail" rear sights on many pocket pistols like the LCP), tend to draw much more cleanly without the risk of snagging.

While they are often referred to as "Phone Booth" or "Belly" guns, meaning their intended range is very close, they did put sights on the weapon for a reason other than "It's just habit." You need to be able to accurately shoot your weapon and take a careful shot. Because you very well may have to take a second to accurately shoot your weapon or take a careful shot. And it would really help to have a smaller caliber that is better fit to the weapon in your hands in order to be able to accomplish that.

~LT

I use a .380 over the 9X18mm because I can get components for reloading much easier. It's usually less than $6 a box of 50. Brass can be had for free at the range or ordered from just about anywhere.

If it were just the brass, then I wouldn't worry about it so much. You buy the brass once and reload it, no big deal. The real issue is the odd sized projectile. They're a good deal more expensive than .380 projectiles, even when they weigh the same.

Well for one thing my Kahr P380 will honestly fit in my front pocket. Apparently I'm one of the few people in this country who can't wear a 1911 in his front pocket, or a whole lot of people are fibbing.

IMO, the .380 is one step to low on the primary SD spectrum. Ok for a backup gun but I'll stick to 38spl.(loaded right) or above for my first choice. I've never had a problem with pocket carrying a 442 or 642.

I am not going to be able to outrun a young or two young assailants.

Just trying that will put me at a big tactical disadvantage because I'll have to turn my back to the bad guys.

Not to mention the fact that my physically ill wife will be with me and I'll be xxxxed if anyone's going to do anything to her.

I'm not watching from the ground as some xxxxbag smashes his fist in her face as a joke.

No,if all I have is a 380-it will be empty and the two bad guys will know they've made a grave mistake -should it ever come to that.

But it should'nt.

But you never know what the next five minutes brings your way.

Running is'nt an option for most people over fifty years of age.

Running isn't an option for most people over fifty years of age

+100

....at least not running very far.
At this age, if all I've got is a pocket knife, I may as well save my energy, stand and fight. If I have to fight after I run, somebodies gonna have their way with me :o.

Actually loading for the 9x18 isnt that expensive. 100pcs. starline brass.14.99 100 95gr. Hornady Xtp 17.99. I also saw a TMJ 95gr. bullet for 16.99 per 100. Fortunatly I have over 300pcs. of 9x18 brass that was given to me. All the comparisons I saw the mak had more energy and velosity than the .380. My CZ-82 will hold 12rds. another plus. Sierra makes a 100gr. bullet for the mak. Im not knocking the .380. That would be a bare minimum. I could have gotten the .380 when I bought her the mak. I just picked the one that I knew was better becouse its for my wife.

If you've ever had to physically defend yourself, you'd know that the more imminent the threat is, the more wild shooting tends to become. Added recoil tends to exacerbate an already prevalent difficulty of keeping your sights or aim on target; especially with a weapon that has low weight, low capacity, short sight radius, low profile/ugly sights, and increased difficulty controlling successive shots.

The question of recoil in small-framed pistols is certainly not a groundless criticism or consideration regarding choosing your personal defense weapon.

A lot of wisdom here!
Trouble in controlling the recoil of your defense weapon could cost you dearly.

Using "recoil" as a deterrent for something that is going to only be used in a defensive roll, when fight or flight instincts are going to be in heavy effect is just foolish. If your life ever depends on your pistol, the last thing your going to notice is felt recoil.

I believe in practicing with your carry gun. If the wife has a hard time shooting her 357 magnum (or 9mm) snubby she wont practice with it.

Also the main reason is the gun you carry with you is worth lots more during the fight than the gun in your safe. The size of the small 380s makes them easy for the wife to carry even when wearing form fitting dresses.

Last edited:
The first gun I ever owned was a Taurus TCP .380 bought it around a decade ago.

Unless some one just stumbles across a good deal, or if for some reason it's all they can get (If you need to protect your life and all you have is a .380 hey thank God you have at least that!) I don't see much of a reason for any one to buy a .380 these days.

5-10 years ago the main benefit was size. The .380 pistols from then were much more compact than 9mm but obviously more powerful than a 22. But nowadays they are making 9mm pistols so compact and small you can get plenty of 9mms at subcompact sizes. And not sure if it's this way every where, but .380 ammo is actually more expensive than 9mm where I live. So with 9mm you can have close if not equal concealability if that's what you are looking for, superior ballistics and even at a better price? Can't think of any reason one would buy a .380 if they had other option these days!

Can't think of any reason one would buy a .380 if they had other option these days!

Zombie thread aside, I'm not aware of any 9x19mm or 9x18mm pistols as small as a Ruger LCP or similar .380ACP pistol.

I prefer 9x19mm, but in some conditions and climates, a larger pistol is not feasible, and for that, .380ACP serves a role.

There is a lot of mixed fruit here.
I can make my .380 hit harder than a 9X18 Makarov if I use Buffalo Bore ammo.

You do know Buffalo Bore makes an equally zippy 9x18,yes?
Common Critical Defense will deliver ,IIIRC,about 13 in gel penetratin. with a hollow point.Both the 380 and 9x18 amount to having a gun. I'm not knocking them.

An important factor is,as has been stated,nearly all the 380's and 9x18's are blowback.That means fairly high slide velocity and reltively sharp recoil.

If you have a PA-63 or aP-64,or a Makarov or a PPK,etc,don't feel wrong to use what you have.
The PPK type decocker DA/SA is workable,not horrible.The DA is typically pretty stiff.

IMO,in a high stress critical situation,the non-safety version of a Shield only requires a striker trigger pull
If you are going to buy a new gun,I suggest you compre the size,weight,mag capacity,and price of something like a LOCKED BREECH S+W Shield or Glock equivalent in 9mm,and shoot them side by side to compare recoil.
I think you will find the locked breech makes a difference in recoil.

like a LOCKED BREECH S+W Shield or Glock equivalent in 9mm,and shoot them side by side to compare recoil.
I think you will find the locked breech makes a difference in recoil.

I have both a shield 9mm, and a Sig 230 SL, and the Sig .380 blowback is much more mild recoil than the Shield. I shot the BB +P 100 grain 1100 fps out of it and it's still softer than the Shield 9mm.

Quite a number of 380s are now locked-breech designs that substantially reduce felt recoil compared to both their blowback brethren and 9mm pistols.

Back