Why aren't combo longguns more popular for hunting?

The main reasons combo guns aren't real popular in the US have been mentioned, and are about right, as far as I can see.

We don't hunt the way Europeans hunt, generally.

High end combo guns range from expensive to very expensive.

Budget combo guns are just that, budget. Cheap, and usually good enough, but less efficient and more difficult to use well.

Having a combo gun (and a use for it) also makes it tough to justify having other guns. :(

As a youth, there were three of us that spent a lot of time afield together. Jim had a .22 Browning semi auto and a Mossberg bolt action 16ga. I had a Winchester .22, and a Winchester Model 12 (12ga). Dave had a Savage 24, .22LR / 20ga.

I got a good amount of experience with, and around that gun. While Dave had the "advantage" of always using the same gun, it simply wasn't as good as a rifle or as shotgun, compared to single caliber guns.

I think the biggest reason combo guns are not popular (besides the cost of the good ones) is essentially, "while you can eat it, tis neither fish, nor fowl, nor good red meat!"

FWIW, the German word "Drilling" means "triplet", one of three children born at the same time. (The word for the three together is "Drillinge.") It is, of course, derived from "drei", meaning "three", but the word is pronounced almost exactly as the English word "drilling", as in drilling a hole.

Jim

Riclin,
I thought it was called a drilling b/c they drilled multiple bores into a single billet and that resulted in a specialized "drilling" process of manufacturing that was different from other rifle types.
Glad you linked it to the German word for three.
Glad James K cleared up the pronunciation.

i have a Savage model 24F in .22 Hornet over 3" 20 gauge. Often call coyotes from a stand in a big cedar tree. A load of #3 or #4 buckshot does a trick on called in coyotes.

"Drilling" is also a generic term for a 3 barrel gun. The Germans have more specific terms for 3 and 4 barrel guns (Vierlings) depending on the combination of shot and rifle barrels.

Most of the Drillings we see are two shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel, but there are also two rifle and one shotgun barrel guns, and some with two different caliber rifle barrels and one shotgun barrel. Each variation has a specific German term for it, they are very precise folk, you know...:D

Scope it
For me it is about the scope. I don't need a 30 06 without a scope and I dont need a shotgun with one.

no problem Henry, that is why they invented pivot or claw mounts as they are called, QR mounts I guess

and fancy drillings or combo rifles often have very nifty open sights that pop up when the rifle barrel(s) are selected

"Drilling" is also a generic term for a 3 barrel gun. The Germans have more specific terms for 3 and 4 barrel guns (Vierlings) depending on the combination of shot and rifle barrels.

"Vier" ... again, from the low German-Boer dialect for the numeral 4.

IMO most people view combo guns as more of survival guns than anything else..they see it as something they can use in several roles out in the wilderness if they are stranded or need a versatile for both small and large game..I'm sure there are people who like them for hunting over a dedicated bolt action but like I said I think most people view these as survival rifles over anything else

I'll just also note that the new Savages, in addition to being very ugly with no wood, they're also offered solely in .410 bore - no 20 gauge or even 28 ga option - uber fail, Savage.

I'd be interested in one that was say 18" barrels, and a 30-30 (or similar) over a 12ga with adjustable choke.
I frequently hunt deer and grouse at the same time, and I'd take a 30-30 over a slug/buckshot any time.
Also I know a lot of people that would shoot any coyotes they run across while turkey hunting.
Capacity doesn't seem like it would be that big of a problem for a brush gun.
I don't think I've ever had a reasonable follow up chance hunting turkeys in the brush with a shotgun, and I've never needed a second shot taking a deer with a rifle.

It would also be a great combo to leave (locked up) out at camp.

It might not have the potential to be a huge seller, i think there'd be a market for it.

.22 over 410 I don't have a whole lot of use for.

Last edited:
What about a bead on top for the shotgun and a laser for the 22. More weight, I've never been impressed with lasers during the day past a dozen yards or so, but might work for the combo gun.

Back