Why aren't CCW holders allowed to carry into a Post Office?

TargetTerror

I've been told repeatedly that a citizen cannot carry a firearm into a Post Office because it is a Federal facility. While I find this to be silly for all of the standard pro-CCW reasons, I hadn't questioned the regulation until a friend of mine stated that CCWs were exempted under the law governing firearms in Post Office. After looking at the law and doing a little bit of legal research, he seems to be correct. The law in question appears to be US Code Title 18 Section 930. Here is the text (emphasis added):

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
(e)
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm in a Federal court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).

Sections B and C apply to violent criminals, or those with intent to be violent criminals. I'm not concerned with these sections, as I don't plan to fall into either category. Section A is the important section, as it deals with knowing possession of a firearm in a Federal building. That would describe any CCW permit holder entering a Post Office. (As an interesting aside, I think the language of Section A would not apply if you put your gun in your pocket, forgot it was there, and then went into the building :p. But the government would probably find some way around that...)

EXEMPTIONS are listed under Section E. Section E(3), to my reading, should exempt a CCW holder. The text specifically exempts "the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes." So the real question is, does simply carrying a firearm lawfully, for general protection, satisfy the "other lawful purposes" clause of this statute?

I did some quick research (admittedly not too in depth) and didn't find a single case which dealt with Section E(3). Most cases seem to revolve around the issue of "Notice" (requirement that the law banning firearms be posted at entrances).

So, back to my initial question. Why aren't CCW holders allowed to carry in a Post Office? Is there another law governing carry in POs? If not, why are we not exempted?

This question gets asked alot over on TX CHL forum and never gets a straight answer....because on one knows for sure. Even the local sheriffs have not been able to answer it. :confused:

I see this pop up every now and then. IIRC, it ultimately boils down to:

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Since CCW for self defense is a lawful purpose (for that matter CCW because I damn well please and have a permit) then the law ... does ... not ... apply.

If the above was the intended interpretation, I'm sure they wouldn't have those signs on the doors. Because wouldn't that be a bit redundant? Don't carry a firearm in here if you are not licensed to carry a firearm anywhere?

Why can't CCW holders carry anywhere that they aren't allowed to carry? Laws simply can't make sense. Irony is the only felonious act I ever helped foil was a Post Office robbery, in Chicago, with a pair of running shoes.

I don't deal with the post office anymore. I pay bills on line, and communicate by e-mail, fax, and phone, and use UPS or FedEx for shipping.

I'd want more than an Internet post

Before I'd walk into a Federal Facility (Post Office, Court House or any other Federal facility posted as illegal to carry) I'd like more than a reference to a post on the Internet to take to court. It the same Federal law than makes it illegal to carry into a National Park. So good luck if you end up in court with an I read it on the Internet defence.

A state CCW is not going to override a Federal law.

Is it concealed? If not it isn't being legally carried and if it is properly concealed no one should know you have it.

I don't carry anymore - my hands don't work well enough to ensure that I wouldn't shoot the next person in line, but when I did I didn't stop and undress before entering the P.O. Oddly enough, no one ever noticed I was carrying so I never had to explain.

If the above was the intended interpretation, I'm sure they wouldn't have those signs on the doors. Because wouldn't that be a bit redundant? Don't carry a firearm in here if you are not licensed to carry a firearm anywhere?

Not necessarily; TX requires signs referencing "the unlicensed possession of a concealed weapon on these premises" in restaurants with liquor licenses, even though it's already illegal to carry a concealed weapon without a CHL. (but the liquor license raises it from misdemeanor to felony...still silly to have a sign at all IMO)

You are dealing with the govt here, which is hostile to citizens carrying firearms for any lawful purposes. They sure as Hell aren't going to encourage you if it is lawful. Look at how many Nazi Park Circus pukes that are pouring out of the woodwork to oppose lawful right to carry on public park lands.:mad:

Or how the Dept. of Homoland Insecurity doesn't address personal security as part of preparation for disaster.

They keep up an illusion of illegality by omission.:barf:

Spend the money to consult a quality attorney with experiance in this type of case, and keep him/her on retainer before trying this. Any law that is slightly vague WILL be used against you in court.

I don't know if it is legal or not so I think you should go into your local post office and announce that you are carrying a gun and that it is legal. Then after you work your way up through the US Supreme Court come back an give us the answer.:)

I would be glad to try it but I don't have that kind of money so I don't plan to challege them and all the Internet advice you get along with a five-dollar bill will probably get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.:(

I don't know of any good reason for banning guns in Post Offices but most people say they are so I don't plan on being a test case.:o

No such sign on the door of my local p.o. I frequently carry concealed there.

I go to the post office every day for business. My post office is located in a strip mall, so I park next door and leave my gun in the car. It's a real pain, and I don't agree with it, but I don't have the money to be a test case either. I do wish someone would clear it up though. Especially since it's not against state law here in TX.

CLAYBROOK,

Have you been over on TX CHL forum? It's brought up there quite a bit and never gets a straight answer. The consensus over there seems to be a don't ask/don't tell thing about carrying into a post office.

Claybrook wrote:
I go to the post office every day for business. My post office is located in a strip mall, so I park next door and leave my gun in the car. It's a real pain, and I don't agree with it, but I don't have the money to be a test case either. I do wish someone would clear it up though. Especially since it's not against state law here in TX.

I would do the same thing, except we have a State law here stating that it is illegal to leave a handhun unattended in a vehicle. The "no firearms" sign at the PO is inside. I generally just plan on doing any PO business after I get home and lock up my firearm. I hate when I am forced to be defensless, but I reckon it beats prison (until I get shot or something!)

Every "Gun Free Zone" uses the same brain-dead logic. Don't think for a minute that they believe that it reduces crime. It is about exerting control over us, the law abiding. Pure and simple. We keep shouting from the rooftops, "CRIMINALS DO NOT FOLLOW THE LAW, THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CALLED CRIMINALS". We are wasting our breath. THEY ALREADY KNOW THIS!!! They do not care about crime or criminals. They simply want to control the populace. That means you and I. If they can, they will, at every opportunity.

This whole SCOTUS ruling on Heller and the individuals RKBAs should send shock waves throughout the "We know what's best for you" crowd!

DS

WG840

If the above was the intended interpretation, I'm sure they wouldn't have those signs on the doors.

I noticed a couple of years ago that "those signs" were gone at the
Post Offices I use. Not just moved, because I looked high and low,
just to be sure. They are gone.:confused:

Walter

Until a law-abiding, peaceable individual is willing to risk thousands of dollars on a felony prosecution in order to establish that licensed carry of a defensive firearm is a "lawful purpose," then the uncertainty will remain.

One more reason to conceal! In addition I really do not want someone seeing me in a parking lot handling a gun as I stow it in the car...

Back