Why are Glocks so reliable?

Godspeed; Why are Glocks so reliable? Why are Beretta's so reliable? Why are Ruger's so reliable? Why are H&K's so reliable? Glock's are no more or less reliable than any other fine pistol. Weight? How about a G-30? or G-29? Lightweight and powerful? How about one of those Titanium .357 magnums? If I was a backpacker and concerned about weight I'd consider a S&W (used) Mountain Gun of some kind. If you're in the woods go for more calibre not less. Best, J. Parker

well, glocks are reliable because they don't jam

many other guns are rather reliable, but i think i will stick with my tactical tupperware until something better comes along.

------------------
454Casull when it absolutely Has to be destroyed.

Def, My head is spinning. Pederson, Browning, Ruger, and Colt all did a very good job of making good guns. Glock is a one hit wonder, IMO. That hit is a pretty good one, mind you, but like Kalashnikov, none of his ideas were revolutionary. Honestly, I don't know if I'm agreeing or disagreeing here. Nevermind.

In the cosmic order of Firearms Religion, Browning Would be God, Pedersen Jesus, Ruger, and Colt might be the in the running. I'd have to make Glock and Kalashnikov Saints.

Glock a one hit wonder? Interesting take on the situation. I see what you mean. Nevertheless...

I think one of the key factors with the Glock is that Herr Glock and his design engineers started with a blank sheet. Gaston Glock had no firearms background, and thus was never constrained by the "it's-just-not-done-that-way" attitude.
As to the particulars of why Glocks work so well, I'll leave that to someone else. Suffice to say that, one hit wonder or not, Glocks do work well. Well enough that one has been my constant companion for years.

Why are Glocks so reliable?

1) Austrian craftsmanship. The Austrians and Germans are known to be superlative machinists and manufacturers. Basically just a very high level of manufacture.

2)Battle proven design. The gun is basically a simplified and strengthened Browning tilting barrel design.

3)Does not utilize full length slide rails like many other semi-autos. The slide actually rides on short, hardened steel inserts that are more effective in extricating granules of sand and dirt particles than full length guide rails. This is one of the reasons Glocks did better in Desert Storm than Berettas did. The other reason is the closed slide design.

4)Glocks don't need as much lubrication as other designs because of the slide rail/steel insert situation mentioned above. Less lubrication means less gunk for dirt to stick to. This aspect alone probably contributed to Beretta malfunctions in the desert. Less need for lubrication also means you have more margin for error when your gun starts going dry.

5)Glocks have much fewer parts than competing designs--usually 33 to 35 parts in total, depending on the model. Less parts, less to go wrong.

6)Because of the polymer and strength of the design, the gun is more durable than just about everything else, and can simply take more punishment. The more abuse a gun can take, the less chance it will malfunction when you really need it.

7)Glocks are virtually rustproof. Rust can mess with reliability. No rust, one less thing to screw you when the chips are down.

8)Glocks are some of the most highly tested and used guns in the world among military forces and law enforcement agencies(both standard and elite units), various high level government agencies, and the civilian population of the United States(we are the only large scale population in the world with rights to private firearm ownership). Glock therefore receives a lot of feedback from people who use their guns in the field for dangerous assignments and missions.

9)Glock, using information gleened from its customers, has constantly sought to improve their guns with updates in design, materials, and coatings of the various parts. This striving for constant improvement of the product only serves to increase the reliability and longevity of their pistols.

Anyway, hope that helps.

------------------
Let's just hope we don't get Gore'd in November.
I don't know about everyone else, but I'd much
rather get some Bush.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by badgerarms:

In the cosmic order of Firearms Religion, Browning Would be God, Pedersen Jesus, Ruger, and Colt might be the in the running. I'd have to make Glock and Kalashnikov Saints.
[/quote]

Then, forgetest thou not Saint Nikolay of Makarov.

------------------
Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

Taurus 605: Five hits of .357 MAG that will just ruin your day, Scumbag!!!!

Where did Glock get it's reputation for reliability? Glock owners/proponents tout it as if it were law, but I've never seen it. Admittedly, I don't shoot in "combat", and I'm not a cop, but I see a few Glocks in USPSA and IDPA competition, and they are no more or less reliable that anything else. I consider such competition to be virtually "ideal conditions"; how can the gun perform better in duty (or hiking)environments?

I don't own a Glock, and this doesn't answer your question as to WHY they are reliable, but it is one example of their reliability.

In one issue of the Shooting Times, a gunwriter was testing a Glock through 10,000 rounds. He dropped it in mud with the barrel taped and chamber empty. He then quickly wiped it off, and shot it with mud slinging everywhere, no malfunctions. He then covered it in sand with the barrel taped and chamber empty. He shot it with no malfunctions. He put it in a plastic bag (chamber empty) put the plastic bag in a milk jug of water, and froze it overnight. He then smashed the ice on the ground, racked the slide, and shot to slide lock, no malfunctions. He parked his one ton pickup on the top of a Glock with a full magazine and an empty chamber. A couple hours later, it fired with no malfunctions. Whenever the gun became hot from extended firing, he would simply lock the slide back and toss it in a pail of water to cool off. No malfunctions throughout 10,000 rounds of 9mm ammunition.

Why are Glocks reliable? I don't know, they just appear to be. Like I stated originally, I don't own a Glock, but if I was going to be in conditions where I wouldn't be able to maintain my handgun, I believe a Glock is what I would choose.

I would prefer a 3913tsw s&w stainless, very accurate, no KBs, reliable. Or if you want to go heavier go with the 4513tsw. same as above reliability. Just plain awesome!!
:D :D :D

If I were to add my 2 cents, the reliability factor is due to a good magazine design, good feed angle on the cartraige and a slightly oversized chamber that allows more dirt/bent cartraiges in reliably. Mike out a spent glock round and compare it to an H&K round and you will see what I meen.

------------------
P229 Sport and 357 SIG, H&K P7PSP and 9MM, Dual Perfection!!

Which gun would be the the Virgin Mary?

------------------
Let's just hope we don't get Gore'd in November.
I don't know about everyone else, but I'd much
rather get some Bush.

well now, isn't that a silly question?
of course they are reliable! why you ask?

why does the law enforcement seem to be going that way... they work, they work good!

i would say something about they weight but everyone else has already said they are light.

------------------
"Liberty is always unfinished business"

live free or die

Brother denfoote speaketh the truth. get your Glock on!

------------------
We're sorry. Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please hang up and try again.

Viper said almost everything right.

Glock uses the KISS formula of design.

The Glock design has been carried forward to each and every Glock model. No matter which Glock you pick up, they all shoot the same ruling out minor differences in recoil.

Consistent application of a proven design.

From an engineering point, that yields better refinement and reliability to the user.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

Glock 21.
Mine.
Around 5000 rounds threw it....
I quit counting a while back n still shoot alot..

Only failure was from Freedom munition ammo with no dang powder in them....

Dont buy that brand ammo!!!!!!

zombie thread this is! :D

Not the record, but up there, with the last post previous to today being over 23 years ago!

let it go, bro...

:rolleyes:

I find this funny since it was posted in 2000. In 2000, Glock was probably the best gun for reliability reputation.

Today in 2024, it seems like Glock has stood the test of time, but there are many others making boringly reliable and cheap guns.

The OP’s weight concern is interesting because 2024 vs 2000, has not yielded any weight differences in same size guns. There were many small and light guns developed, but it seems like we are on a bounce back. We went from g17/g19 to g26 and Kahr sized gun to something more like p365 and Shield Plus size.

When this thread bounces back in 2048, what will we be shooting. Will we continue incremental change? Will gun bans alter the market? Will we all be walking around with a PCC full auto slung across our front?

For me, I’ve made huge changes. My ccw in 2000 was a s&w 640. Today it is mostly a 340!

IF you shoot enough, you will eventually experience any gun having a reliability issue. Locking block in my Glock broke around 60,000 rounds, the gun still worked but the accuracy noticeably suffered. Another Glock had the extractor chipped but that had been caused probably mostly by me.
Heck, I even had my Python freeze up with Hansen Prvi Partizan .357 Mag when a case split and the front part lodged itself into the forcing cone and locking the cylinder solidly in place.

Back