Why are deer measured differently in different areas?

Huntinaz, those must be some funny lookn elk in AZ. I see lots of them here with double eye guards.

Yeah that was poor wording on my part. Out here we call them brow tines on elk, and eye guards on deer. I'd guess brow tines is the correct term for both. What I really meant was that brow tines on elk are obvious, pronounced tines compared to the dinky things mule deer grow. I'd wager our elk look pretty similar to yours:p

We have whitetail deer here in Co and few years ago they split them into their own season. I've always considered their horns same as a mulie and I'm sure some others may do it different.

We count one side, because that's all we get time to look at in the mountains.

We don't have hours to spend watching the whitetails, in our tree stands or blinds, counting every little point out of complete boredom.

FrankenMauser

We hunt from blinds (in the woods) in Wisconsin and we don't have time to count points period. If it's a big rack we have to act now and shoot it!!

These TV shows where these guys have these absolute monsters come out and they're dinking around with binnoculars counting points are ridiculous. Then they screw around looking through the scope before taking off the safety. It must be nice to hunt on game farms with tame deer that let you take all day to shoot them. These guys could not kill a deer in Wisconsin.

You see a real nice buck you FIRST take off the safety, THEN forget the binoculars and GET THAT GUN UP and the sights on the deer's shoulder and SQUEEZE! This whole sequence takes SECONDS. No wasting time or you ain't gettin that deer!

And the eastern count and western count was what I grew up hearing. Who cares how you count them if it's a nice rack. The number of points is only part of the equation.

I live in Idaho and a 5 point here would be a 10 point down south. I have heard people say 5X4 (for example) but that is usually out of state people on guided hunts.

Here on the left coast we use to count only the points above the eye guards on elk. Thus a 5 X 5 was just a three point. That seems to have changed now. A few years ago I killed a bull with my bow that had a vertical brow tine on each side in addition to double eye guards.

We still don't count brow tines on our blacktail deer which normally don't have any or else little tiny things and then we only count one side. When I was a kid reading in Outdoor Life about someone passing on a 6 point, I thought they were nuts. A typical mature blacktail in our area only has three points to a side.

We hunt from blinds (in the woods) in Wisconsin and we don't have time to count points period. If it's a big rack we have to act now and shoot it!!

We have to measure ours now. A legal buck here has a 10 inch inside spread or thirteen inch main beams. I have yet to figure out how we're supposed to get them to stand still while we measure them.:D

Back