Why are AR-15 rifles so accurate?

Well gents, let me weigh in here. I'd owned 3 AR's before I bought my first really accurate one. I was disappointed with two Colts, one a light barreled A2, the next an HBAR. The first AR I had was a no-name "parts gun" that shot OK, but had a rough chamber and failed to extract with hot loads. When Colt came out with the Competition HBAR flattop with a 1/9 twist heavy bbl., I bought one, and was immediatly rewarded with groups under an inch @100yds with nearly any commercial bullet/powder combination I stuffed into the magazine. After owning two flattops for several years, my NM M1A shot craps, so I opted to have a match rifle built by Compass Lake Engineering on the oldest of the flattops. Now, I have the match rifle, two Service Rifles also built by CLE, and the newer of the Colt flattops. The only thing that would make me happier is if I could afford to have a match-grade SR-25 built in 6.5mmX308. These things are barn-burners for most of the same reasons that make AR's tack drivers. My remaining flattop is carried daily in my 4-wheel drive pickup, and holds its zero just fine. I also owned 3 Mini 14's before buying the first AR. They're neat little carbines, tough and rugged, but none I've ever seen could hold a candle to even the worst of my AR's in the accuracy dept.

If you want a good scope for the money look at a Swift. They are far better than the Tasco, Bushnell, Simmons line with more light gathering capability than the Tasco. I have 2 Tasco's, 2 Swifts, 2 Leo's & 1 Simmons. I rank the Swift right up there with the Leo for less than 1/2 the $. Check them out.

Back