Why are 30/30 rifles so expensive??

GeauxTide it's funny you mentioned the 300 hamr. I bought a 16 in barrel two months ago. I haven't installed it on my ar yet.
. You'll love it. StarLine brass is available and CFEBLK is the powder.

It was probably 5 months ago there was a 336 that sold for over 10 k .I used to pull it up and show others,they would say there has to be something special about it.It appeared to be common just in good shape.In the description it said stuff like there not jm any more stuff like that.My explanation was some young person had there dads credit card.

stagpanther said:
I've been thinking about trying one of these out

I kind of wanted the Mossberg 464 SPX after I got my suppressor. It looked like a good truck/jeep/ATV gun. Threaded 5/8-24 barrel ready for an ASR flash hider, and an AR style 6 position buttstock. I figured I couldn't make it any uglier than it was already!

I like the 30-30. I don't hunt with them very much anymore but use them as fun guns. Most of the time it's a box or two shooting a light cast bullet load on paper. Due to health problems I can no longer go out and play at desert rat so it's go to the range and kill paper.

When I was able, I would wander around exploring the desert and shooting the occasional jack rabbit, ground squirrel or and unwary coyote but those days went when my knees went.

Truth be told, I much prefer the pre-64 Model 64s to the M94s. They just have a nicer feel even if they are slightly heavier. I even have a model 54. Very accurate and I won a lot of burrito matched with that 54. Ten shots at 50 years offhand, iron sights only. My 54 came with a factory installed Redfield receiver sight. Smallest group wins and largest group buys lunch and our favorite Mexican eatery. :cool:
PS: I never had to buy lunch, not once.
Paul B.

I always found it interesting that Winchester never loaded the 30-30 with the 190 gr. Silvertip that they loaded in the .303 Savage. The .303 pushed it to about 1950 FPS IIRC, and the 30-30 at an advertised 2200 FPS. I've never bothered to chronograph the .303 Savage when I had one, and also never really cared to chronograph the 30-30 170 gr. Factory load. However, based on chronographing some .308 Win. and 30-06 loads a while back, neither cartridge reached advertised velocity. I used rifle with the common 22" length. I did also run a few 30-06 in 24" and 26" barrel in rifles I happen to own. Load were the 180 gr. Power Points in both cartridges.

Even more puzzling was Winchester not only did not load the 190 gr. bullet in the 30-30 but has AFAIK, never sold it as a reloading component. Retired gun writer Sam Fadala make note of this in his book, "WINCHESTER'S 30-30, MODEL 94". He commented that he would have to buy expensive .303 Savage ammo and pull the bullets to reload. As I recall, at the time I read the book, .303 Savage was selling for about #65 up for a box of 190 gr. Silvertip factory ammo. I'd hate to see what it would be right now. A nice read BTW.

I have a bullet mold, the RCBS #30-180-FN that casts a 190 gr. bullet in my alloy. I loaded up a box of ammo to what I estimated would give 1950 FPS. Interesting results as accuracy was good in the 1 in 12" twists of an M94 Winchester carbine and a Marlin 336 Texan. Based on the drop, I'd have to say I got the velocity pretty well spot on. Slight leading in the Marlin; probably due to the shallower Micro-Groove rifling but otherwise the test went well. I doubt I'll ever get out and do another deer hunt but if I did, and it was an area suitable for the 30-30. I'd try that load in a heart beat.
Paul B.

They're out of production.
The entire firearms market has gone nuts.
Inflation.
Inflation.
Inflation.
Stupid people impulse buying at high prices has re-'stabilized' the market at an artificially high level.
Inflation.
They aren't being made any more.
Well said.

I always found it interesting that Winchester never loaded the 30-30 with the 190 gr. Silvertip that they loaded in the .303 Savage. The .303 pushed it to about 1950 FPS IIRC, and the 30-30 at an advertised 2200 FPS. I've never bothered to chronograph the .303 Savage when I had one, and also never really cared to chronograph the 30-30 170 gr. Factory load. However, based on chronographing some .308 Win. and 30-06 loads a while back, neither cartridge reached advertised velocity. I used rifle with the common 22" length. I did also run a few 30-06 in 24" and 26" barrel in rifles I happen to own. Load were the 180 gr. Power Points in both cartridges.

Even more puzzling was Winchester not only did not load the 190 gr. bullet in the 30-30 but has AFAIK, never sold it as a reloading component. Retired gun writer Sam Fadala make note of this in his book, "WINCHESTER'S 30-30, MODEL 94". He commented that he would have to buy expensive .303 Savage ammo and pull the bullets to reload. As I recall, at the time I read the book, .303 Savage was selling for about #65 up for a box of 190 gr. Silvertip factory ammo. I'd hate to see what it would be right now. A nice read BTW.

I have a bullet mold, the RCBS #30-180-FN that casts a 190 gr. bullet in my alloy. I loaded up a box of ammo to what I estimated would give 1950 FPS. Interesting results as accuracy was good in the 1 in 12" twists of an M94 Winchester carbine and a Marlin 336 Texan. Based on the drop, I'd have to say I got the velocity pretty well spot on. Slight leading in the Marlin; probably due to the shallower Micro-Groove rifling but otherwise the test went well. I doubt I'll ever get out and do another deer hunt but if I did, and it was an area suitable for the 30-30. I'd try that load in a heart beat.
Paul B.
Was the 303 Savage a 1 in 12 twist also?
I would guess it was a marketing ploy by Savage (all you have is a 170 gr bullet?) more than anything.

Gulfcowboy said:
I've been looking for another 30-30 to add to my collection. But the prices on the rifles are outrageous. I have a j.m. stamped 336 which I gave four hundred for a few years back. I thought that was fair. What is driving the prices up so high. Yellowstone? Lack of materials, or political reasons?

Have you been living in a closet disconnected from the retail sale of guns for the last 2-1/2 years ? Anything that has a trigger or is used to make ammo has skyrocked in price from panic buyers. You should have been buying back in 2017 when everything was "cheap" .

2017 wasn't "cheap" it was just cheaper than 2022.

you should have been buying back in the 70s-80s when stuff was really cheap!:D Except, compared to the wages we made then, it really wasn't all that cheap!:rolleyes:

2017 wasn't "cheap" it was just cheaper than 2022.

you should have been buying back in the 70s-80s when stuff was really cheap!:D Except, compared to the wages we made then, it really wasn't all that cheap!:rolleyes:
LOL, you aren’t kidding. Back then we went out to eat once a month and it was a carefully planned and budgeted event. I really got the stink eye for bringing home a new gun.

Back