Why a trigger mounted safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea is that if the gun is dropped on the rear of the slide, the heavier trigger will want to travel rearward, thereby causing the gun to go off. The extremely lightweight "safety", that is kept engaged by spring tension, won't have enough mass to be forced back by the kinetic energy, and will stay in the engaged position, keeping the trigger from moving rearward.

I tried explaining that last time and this is what happened in the thread.

200.gif

I don't know why those "trigger be-dangles" are there either....I think they're irritating....and a reason to buy a different gun that does not have them !

I have often wondered about and have never had anyone explain to me what purpose a safety on the trigger of a handgun serves.
It's been explained a few times. In fact, you have asked the question before, on TFL, and almost in the same words.

This brings up a question I never have gotten a satisfactory answer to. Just what purpose does that safety on the trigger serve other than maybe satisfying the lawyers? If something touches and pulls the trigger the gun will fire. If the trigger isn't pulled the gun will not fire. Which is exactly the way my Ruger P97 without a safety works. My Ruger P89 has a safety on the side of the receiver. If the safety is on, pulling the trigger does nothing, if the safety is off the gun will fire. Now that is a safety.

So again to the question, just what purpose does a safety on the trigger serve?

That thread contained an explanation in response to your question.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421759&page=2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back