Why 5 Rounds?

Shooters do not have to do math in ammo purchases. When the manufacturer produces boxes of ammo, they are not trying to make even numbers to satisfy every revolver out there, only the most efficient stacking in the boxes in 25, 50, 100, etc.

Doc, you just asked one of the classic marketing questions of all time. Now ask yourself why there are 12 hotdogs in a package, but only 8 hot buns in a package.
The dogs and buns I buy all come in 8's. Have been that way for quite some time.
My range ammo comes in 100''s. Except 22 that comes in 50, 100, 222, 325, 333, 500, 525, or 555..
I really don't care how many there are in a box. Just that they go bang.

If your not inviting at least 24 people over you have no business serving hotdogs.
If your not shooting up at least 6 boxes of ammo you have no business going to the range.

:)

Just buy 3 boxes of 50. 150 is evenly divisible by both 5 & 6;)

I have to be smarter than a 5th grader since I have to teach them and smart aleck high schoolers on occasion:eek:

One valid argument is that bulls eye target matches were fired in ten round stages, two five shot strings.

And Colt Single Action Army revolvers were best carried loaded with five rounds.

Bob Wright

I wish I hadn't read this thread. Now I have something else to worry about. Most Of my reloads get dumped in tubs or cans and the count written on a label. I go shoot and then don't know how many rounds are left in the can. I don't care. Now I may have to go get a count on how many rounds are left in each can. Sigh.

But the one thing I have noticed is that there sure are a lot of anal people around here. OK now I gotta go count ammo.:(

"One valid argument is that bulls eye target matches were fired in ten round stages, two five shot strings."

Except, it's not really a valid argument because the timing is off.

By the time Bullseye shooting became an established sport ammo manufacturers had been loading in boxes of 20 and 50 for several decades.

Formalized Bullseye matches grew out of the ISSF course of matches that were developed out of the shooting events chosen for the first modern Olympic games in 1896.

"And Colt Single Action Army revolvers were best carried loaded with five rounds."

Nor does that really work. The earliest self-contained metallic cartridge, the .22 Short, was being packaged in boxes of 50 or 100 (see my link above) before the Civil War.

And the Smith & Wesson Model 1 in .22 short...

Had a SEVEN round cylinder, so that math is especially jacked up.

Personally, I don't think there's any way to look at the number of rounds contained in a box of metallic cartridges and say "this number was chosen because of this gun or that shooting match."

From what I can tell, civilian manufacturers seem to have settled on the 20 round box for larger rifle cartridges and 50 round boxes for handgun and smaller rifle cartridges right around the time the Civil War ended.

The first post on this page shows a set of 6 early .32 Long rimfire boxes. The .32 Long was introduced by S&W in 1868 in their 1 1/2 revolver. The box in the upper right, from the US Cartridge Company (founded late 1868, began production in 1869), is extremely early, possibly pre-1870, and it's a box of 50.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=48910.125

The math is also jacked up on this because the S&W 1 1/2 Model was a 5 shot revolver, meaning that it would be most safely carried with 4 rounds in the chamber.

Back