Why 18.5 inch 4570 guide gun

I agree with carbine concept for fast pointing. I have a pair of Marlin Marauders
30/30 & 35, both with Lyman 66 reciever sights, and a Rem 14 in 35. They are
hard to beat for woods hunting but I can't use them here in Ohio. My point was
they have similar ballistics to legal calibres but not allowed under our regs. There
has been more deer killed with 30/30s than the rest combined and it's a myth
that they wound deer. A poor shot is a poor shot. If you can't kill a deer with a
30/30 you got no business in the woods.

Am still debating

I am rehabbing an old Stevens 325C in 30-30. It shall be my dark and deep woods rifle.
Washington state has wide open spaces on the East side, and about the deepest darkest woods one can find on the West side, esp. the coast.
I live close to the coast, so that's the most likely hunting venue. If I go over East I have my .270.

It had a cheap charlie Tasco 3-9 which is now in my junk pile. Am looking for a compact low power 1" to go on the "sidesaddle" mount. If it were not for the modifications to both the stock and the holes in the receiver I would go with a peep sight, which it is factory drilled for.

I rather like that this old gun has a WW2 surplus machine gun barrel. It was very inexpensive in it's day.

I t was my brides dad's gun and since it was scoped for him, I will likely keep it that way. It will have an appropriate scope tho. Am thinking Bushnell 2-7 X 32, the higher end made in Japan Bushnell. I like their rainguard coating, very good glass, esp. for the dollar.

As a former fishing guide that often guided in bear country, the reason I carried a break down, short barreled guide gun was so I could put it in my pack and no one would be the wiser. Instead of hearing, "Why do you have a gun" at the beginning of the trip, when I saw signs of bear, I would pull it out put it together and hear, "glad you brought that along". My .45 Semi was always in my chest holster and I easily concealed that.

Another person here said they didn't know the bear was that close. This is so true. You typically don't know they're in the area until they want you to know. The .45 ACP round is loud enough to get them to move on if they're willing and if they're close and charging you're pretty much screwed so in that case, memorize your favorite prayer.

Back