Whoa.. I have some respect for the .22 now...

When i was a kid growing up here in hillbilly land most familys kept a couple of hogs.
In late fall they would butcher them and salt cure the meat. Most would use the 22lr or even 22short to put them down. I've seen this done many times and almost every time a huge porker fell like he was shot with a 44mag.
Worked fine with a domestic pig in a pen but i dont think i'd wanna try this with a razorback.
Or anything else with tushes or teeth and a bad atitude.

A few years back I was deer hunting and it was one of those hot miserable mosquito ridden days in early season here in Ga. I wasn't really feeling like sitting untill dark and I always keep a fishing rod in the truck so i decided to wet a line. I was fishing right beside the truck when i heard a noise near. I looked up and there was a small feral (~75lbs) hog staring me down. I reached for my .30-30 but decided since he was only 15 yards away I didn't want to mess up any meat. I reached for my ruger single six and snuck around to put the truck in between me and the hog just in case he charged. One shot square in the head and he let out a squeal and fell dead. My first hog was with a .22.

Lagomorphs have 4 top insicors *sp* and scuirids do not. Lagomorphs also have a paper thin, sort of perferated maxilla or something like that. I forget the scientific terms, just gimme 2 skulls and ill show u the difference lol <Fish and Wildlife Management Student>

Lagomorphs have two sets of teeth one set of temporaries and a set of permanent that grow in after th first is shed. Rodent only have one set.

Lagomorphs have a white enamel on their teeth Rodents have yellow enamel

Both have no anatomical root

Most rodent's molars do have anatomical roots and do not continue to grow lagomorph's molars do not have anatomical roots and continue to grow like their incisors do

Lagomorphs have 4 upper incisors one set behind the other rodents have 2

Rabbits have shorter legs and ears than do hares

mt. man -
I grew up popping hogs in the head with a .22 too, but I've also seen plenty of .22 bullets glance off an ol' pig's skull if not hit just right. They were none too happy about it.

They were none too happy about it.

Bouncing a small chunk of lead off of a hog's head always does seems to torque them off... :p

My experience with a .22LR on small game...The .22 rifle I had at the time was a Rem Nylon 66. That rifle shot everything well EXCEPT the 36-Gr HP 'Golden Bullet'. Using that ammo, (after lots of rounds at paper, trying to figure out why I lost so much small game), I saw that if I pulled those bullets off the case, and threw them at the target, I had a better chance of hitting where I aimed. Plain lead solid or HP,or even the 40-Gr solid "Golden Bullet" would be right at point of aim.

Maybe just a quirk of MY Nylon 66, but it was odd that a Rem rifle didn't like a certain Rem ammo....Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeshhhhhh

I don't think it was your Nylon 66. I think that .22 round Remington put out was the worst ever produced in terms of consistency. One round would go pop, next one bang, next one pop, next one BANG, etc. I went over to CCI and haven't gone back, so I don't know if Remington got their act together or not.

Remington .22 ammo

I don't know if Remington got their act together or not.

They sure dont have their act together when making .22 ammo. stuff from CCI shoots twice as tight than the remington from my remmy 597

it truly is a do all cartridge if you do your part. and yep mtn. mn., it will even work on the wild hairy ones lol! :D b.

Back