Who uses a generic one-size-fits-all holster and likes it?

2Wheel the whole secret to wearing a gun on your belt is a good support system. A floppy, weak belt will drive you nuts. With a good stiff belt you can carry a heavy gun comfortably. It just takes a little looking and expense to find a good belt anymore. The junk they sell at Walmart isn't fit to be called a belt. Good belts are expensive but worth the cost.

Totally agree ratshooter. I bought one at a gun show a few years ago. Being naturally "frugal" it seemed like a waste of money, but I had some extra cash and began upgrading a few things. It wasn't cheap, but a custom leather maker was plying his goods and you could see and feel the difference in them.

I'll never hang a holster on a cheap belt again. Didn't realize how aggravating it was until the aggravation was gone. I've seen the light!

I think I kind of qualify for this question. My first carry gun was my Glock 29 back in 2008 and I used a kydex shell IWB with leather inside, was from a small holster maker that is no longer in business. It worked pretty well but eventually the Kydex cracked from years of use. I got an Alien Gear holster that was similar but in my opinion, it was never quite as comfortable. It worked.

Eventually I moved to a full leather IWB, this one made by Frontline. Grabbed this because it was being offered on a big time sale, around $30 I think. It was the most comfortable yet.

Here's where it gets relevant... eventually I moved to a different carry gun, a Walther PPQm2. And right in to the leather Frontline G29/30 holster it goes. Fit GREAT. It's IWB and retention is terrific, comfort is high.

So I'm still using a holster made for a Glock 29/30 for carrying a PPQ. And bonus! When I elect to carry my S&W 469... it fits also. Retention not quite as secure, but it works.

I do use an uncle Mike's pocket holster for my S&W bodyguard. Anything that's going to ride on a belt should fit well....

My son carries daily and has a holster that he uses for several guns,..seems to work okay for him...now, I have not really had the same experience, but that is just me.

G&G #B733-G20 fits Glock 20, 21; S&W 4586.

That sounds very generic, and the examples listed are really only the start ...

Any holster that fits a S&W 4586, which was a 4.25" DAO 3rd Gen auto, will also fit any other 4.25" gun in the 45XX-series (4566; 4576) or the 10XX-series (1076; 1066; 1086).

The only problem might be if the holster's design was somehow too tight-fitting to accommodate the 3rd Gen frame-mounted decocking levers (4576; 1076) or the slide-mounted ones (1066; 4566), and thus truly fits only DAO models, but I doubt it.

Most all of the "generic" holsters listed and described here will hold various guns and allow them to be carried. Where they fail is when a fast presentation is required, as in a self defense scenario.

Acquiring a solid grip while the gun is still holstered is required. The loose, generic fit may make you fumble the draw, slowing down your response and/or adversely affecting accuracy.

YMMV,
Dave

I use a 'Uni' holster and it fits various handguns surprisingly well. Mine is nylon but they make a leather one as well. I had originally been apprehensive about an open-muzzle holster, but it has never been an issue.

Last edited:
I have a nylon TAIGEAR holster that came with a Taurus PT92C I purchased used and it is alright I guess. Cannot really judge it as I do not CCW anything, so. It does also fit my Large frame Witness as well.

I've used an inexpensive "Bulldog" holster for I suppose a "medium auto" for years. Carried both a Ruger LC9s, and a Smith and Wesson shield.

I've also used a belly band at times. Doesn't get much more generic than those.

I use a RangeMaxx nylon holster for 4.5'' barreled semi-auto pistols as a ''car-only holster'' that I can clip on to, and off of, my seat belt (near appendix) while driving to provide me better access to the sidearm that I am carrying (usually a Glock 17, less often a Glock 19).

So far the arrangement has been a good one.

I have one of those generic gun show clip on IWB holsters I use when I carry my 10mm S&W or Glock when hiking. It keeps the gun from falling out of my pants and that’s all I ask of it.

I've been following this conversation. When I read "one-size-fits-all" I was hoping for someone to show me a truly generic holster. I have holsters specifically made for certain guns. I wouldn't use a generic holster for concealed carry. I have used a Yaqui-type slide. Those are good and have their place.

But I would like a simple, leather, inexpensive holster that would accommodate a medium revolver and a medium semi. A scabbard. Suitable for walking to the target and back or for strolling around my friend's 60 acres. It would need a simple strap to hold the gun securely since it wouldn't "fit" like a purpose-made holster.

Has anyone seen that holster?

The only generic holster I still use is a MOLLE attachable holster on my chest rig with a thumb strap. As a general rule I hate generic holsters. I’ve had leather and nylon variations of the Yaqui slide. They conceal the gun poorly and the grip tends to always be at a different position every time you grab it which makes a good master grip difficult.

I used to primarily use purpose built holsters that are made for specific guns. Recently, due to a terrific clearance sale, I decided to give the Versamax Commander (2018 model) a try. It is one of those one size fits many type deals (3 different sizes to fit every gun on the market). It isn't even an IWB where the belt and waistband help with retention. It is terrific! I like it enough, that I'm considering buying a couple more models and sizes of Versamax holsters and may even go to them as my primary holster in the future.

With regard to the Galco belly band I mentioned earlier, after 10 years of using it and loving it, it finally wore out. I just ordered a Comfort Tac to replace it. Will post first impressions when it arrives later this week.

--Wag--

Back